Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

14 hours ago, Szumi Claus said:

Here's hoping young Carter Vickers gets a chance too

He won't in the league, especially because it'd be the left-side of a back three, but he will almost get plenty of game time in the Europa League. He's looked really decent so far - against Liverpool he was exposed a bit - but as a young centre back he's showing a great deal of promise and is highly rated by Poch. 

Wimmer did really well when he stepped up for Jan last year, so I hope he's the one getting game time, otherwise I think he'll move on next season. I like Davies, but Rose is currently in a class of his own and I think Wimmer's the player with the longer term future. 

• Like 1

If we are adding stupid rules I have a couple to add:

Instead of penalty shootouts we do The Crossbar Challenge
Whenever you have the ball you have to shout "FOOTBALL" like in Kabaddi

• Like 4

"Time limit for penalty shoot-outs"? What, so if it goes on for too many sudden death rounds the referee will say "FUCK THIS CUP FINAL, NONE OF YOU DESERVE TO WIN!"?

In fairness, that would sometimes be appropriate.

By no extra time, are we talking extra time like injury time? Or the extra 30 mins in cup games? If it's the former, then it would work if the referee was able to stop the clock during stoppages. The latter would be stupid. As would all the others.

Literally what is the point of a time limit for penalty shootouts? How often (if ever), is that an issue?

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

If we are adding stupid rules I have a couple to add:

Instead of penalty shootouts we do The Crossbar Challenge
Whenever you have the ball you have to shout "FOOTBALL" like in Kabaddi

I second the crossbar challenge notion. 

3 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

"Time limit for penalty shoot-outs"? What, so if it goes on for too many sudden death rounds the referee will say "FUCK THIS CUP FINAL, NONE OF YOU DESERVE TO WIN!"?

In fairness, that would sometimes be appropriate.

I think what he meant was a maximum time limit to take a penalty. So you wouldn't have a Zaza penalty where he waddles like a duck before not scoring. I think, I'm not sure.

3 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

I second the crossbar challenge notion. 

It would be a lot more fun.

Time limit for penalties, is like a penalty shootout in ice-hockey, so you get like 10 seconds to get the ball, go upfront, try outsmart the goalie.

Rennes manager Christian Gourcuff (Yoann's dad) has offered up his thoughts on Marco van Basten's proposed changes.

“This is the worst crap I have read a long time and yet I did not read it wrong ... It's immeasurable bullshit,”

“We would return to the time of village vs. village, and at the time it ended with players being killed.

“The offside is a manifestation of collective intelligence. There would be no more collective spirit if the offside rule was removed. The offside rule is fundamental - if you do not understand that, you do not understand football.”

:lol:

• Like 2

Some of these "features" just sound like stuff for the sake of having stuff. It's like City wanting to build a restaurant next to the tunnel so you can eat and watch the players in the tunnel.

The only thing you should be doing if you have a glass window in the tunnel is banging on it and calling the other team shit. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Davidmarrio said:

Some of these "features" just sound like stuff for the sake of having stuff. It's like City wanting to build a restaurant next to the tunnel so you can eat and watch the players in the tunnel.

The only thing you should be doing if you have a glass window in the tunnel is banging on it and calling the other team shit. 

I think it kind of makes sense - hit a market of super rich people who're always looking for ways to waste money. In theory, I remember someone saying, all these features should subside general admission costs for the every day fan. I mean, I'm sure they won't, and Levy will just pocket it all, but it's a nice thought. 

Also, yeah, with some of the features - if it was any other team I'd definitely poke fun - but as it's my team, I'll back them blindly :shifty:

---

BUNDLE

@MDK - this was literally written just for you. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/20/the-joy-of-six-football-goalmouth-scrambles

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 3

What is it about goalmouth scrambles that has us so enchanted? Somewhere between the ineptitude and the schadenfreude lies a few seconds of joyful Sunday League-ism, in which a very moveable object meets a very stoppable force, and where for a short time, professionals revert to their medieval predecessors hacking a pig’s bladder from village to village, appearing as helpless and useless as the supporters in the stands. All are passengers yielding to the will of the ball’s bounce, cannoning from knee to post, from palm through puddle, until somebody finally comes to their senses and puts the ball either in the net or in Row Z. Rarely lasting more than a few seconds, just one piece of competence can ruin the disharmony: these are moments to be remembered and savoured.

Couldn't have summed it up any better. I love a goalmouth scamble.

And the last one had a bundle AND handbags!

36 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I think it kind of makes sense - hit a market of super rich people who're always looking for ways to waste money. In theory, I remember someone saying, all these features should subside general admission costs for the every day fan. I mean, I'm sure they won't, and Levy will just pocket it all, but it's a nice thought. 

Also, yeah, with some of the features - if it was any other team I'd definitely poke fun - but as it's my team, I'll back them blindly :shifty:

---

BUNDLE

@MDK - this was literally written just for you. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/20/the-joy-of-six-football-goalmouth-scrambles

If you want to automatically build the best stadium in the world....just sort out mobile phone signal and you'd win hands down. :P

Tbh it makes sense to milk the higher paying customer, it's revenue that you'll make consistently from a larger and varied amount of people compared to regular attendees at the game. 

What's Spurs current ground like for Hospitality and Corporate? I know when we did up the Centenary stand and now the Main stand it's brought in a larger amount of revenue from hospitality and corporate compared to before. It will help us to even the playing field and it'll help Spurs in the long run when they get the new ground. 

• Like 1