Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

32 minutes ago, MDK said:

It turns out that Pep is one of the best managers in the world when inheriting one of the best teams in a fairly non-competitive league.

And is he trying to make Zabaleta into his Lahm? 

It's going to be super interesting - if he does stay beyond this season - to see him have to build a team for the first time.

11 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

It's going to be super interesting - if he does stay beyond this season - to see him have to build a team for the first time.

I wonder if he is regretting going to City and not waiting for the Arsenal job. That seems like a better fit for him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

This is a bit of revisionism. He completely transformed the Barcelona team he inherited, and whether you class his time at Bayern as a failure or not, he drastically changed them as well. I know you don't like him, but let's not pretend that he's just played the hand he was dealt and never carved a team in his image before.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Nerf said:

This is a bit of revisionism. He completely transformed the Barcelona team he inherited, and whether you class his time at Bayern as a failure or not, he drastically changed them as well. I know you don't like him, but let's not pretend that he's just played the hand he was dealt and never carved a team in his image before.

Pep's transfer policy 'success' - especially at Barcelona - is massively overstated. He signed Ibra for 50 million Euros plus Eto'o (Barca's top scorer the previous season), then sold him a year later for half that. He spent 25 million Euros on Dmytro Chygrynskiy - a signing so successful he played 12 times and left the club a year later. Or Keirrison, so brilliant a player that he never played for Barcelona and was last seen flying out to Thailand to negotiate a transfer there. Compatriot Henrique met a similar fate. Alexander Hleb did really well after his move - playing less than 20 times in four years. Afellay did slightly better, he played 21 times!

Pep had more success with promoting youth players than he did with transfers, arguably making just 6 successful signings - Cesc, Sanchez, Dani Alves, Pique (who was always going to rejoin Barca - the buy back clause in his Man Utd contract made sure of that), David Villa and Javier Mascherano. 6 signings in four seasons in charge isn't exactly a sterling strike rate.

At Bayern he spent at least 150 million Euros and failed to win the Champions League - which due to Bayern have historically dominating the Bundesliga - is essentially failing.

19 minutes ago, Colly said:

So not at all related to my fantasy team, who comes in for him?

Kevin Wimmer, presumably. But I cant remember if he is still at Spurs because I'm getting confused with my FM game.