Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

Wasn't that after Guardiola had dropped him for being a bit rubbish? Despite spending huge money on him?

Ruthless.

I know we're all supposed to follow the Cult of Zlatan but he's a bit tedious, really. Refusing to speak to him when he's making threats in public and his agent is throwing a strop doesn't paint Guardiola in a bad light.

• Like 1

16 goals in 29 games in a team that was all about Messi isn't exactly rubbish. Zlatan threatened him to let him leave to go AC Milan, after they had a bust up over how Pep was using him.

I agree with you that the whole Cult thing is ridiculous. I didn't want him at United and he's pretty much a slightly more acceptable Suarez, but this idea that Pep is somehow ruthless is just funny when he would refuse to even meet Zlatan.

Why would you give the time of day to a co-worker who threatened you with physical violence?

Pep has a system. Hart doesn't fit it so he made him available for transfer. Toure didn't fit at Barca, doesn't fit at City. No difference from then to now apart from now Toure's agent is a gobby prick with one client.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Why would you give the time of day to a co-worker who threatened you with physical violence?

Pep has a system. Hart doesn't fit it so he made him available for transfer. Toure didn't fit at Barca, doesn't fit at City. No difference from then to now apart from now Toure's agent is a gobby prick with one client.

Seriously.

How is Guardiola ditching Hart any different to Brendan Rodgers shipping out Andy Carroll or any manager with any player who doesn't fit their system?

What I will say is different between Joe Hart and people like Andy Carroll is that Hart is a club legend at Man City, an integral part of pretty much all of their recent success and to be binned off so swiftly when the new manager comes in isn't very respectful.

Personally, I don't like Guardiola or Mourinho's methods. What on earth has Schweinsteiger done to deserve the treatment he's getting? Of course all anyone will ultimately care about is whether or not these managers are successful at bringing success to their respective clubs but there's a way to do things and I don't believe this particular subject shows either of those two doing it correctly.

• Like 1

The reality of management is that you very often don't have the time to give those who have given their loyal service to the club a final chance to be bad before taking them out back and shooting them. You have to make that call and make it early.

7 hours ago, Adam said:

What I will say is different between Joe Hart and people like Andy Carroll is that Hart is a club legend at Man City, an integral part of pretty much all of their recent success and to be binned off so swiftly when the new manager comes in isn't very respectful.

Personally, I don't like Guardiola or Mourinho's methods. What on earth has Schweinsteiger done to deserve the treatment he's getting? Of course all anyone will ultimately care about is whether or not these managers are successful at bringing success to their respective clubs but there's a way to do things and I don't believe this particular subject shows either of those two doing it correctly.

There's no room for sentimentality in football anymore. Steven Gerrard's farewell tour taught me that much.

Edited by Nerf

2 hours ago, Nerf said:

There's no room for sentimentality in football anymore. Steven Gerrard's farewell tour taught me that much.

Doesn't have to be that way though. The man in my avatar proves that. Perhaps it's just at the top level where it's gone completely.

Joe Hart is hardly a shit keeper, is he. A couple of mistakes at the Euros, sure, but he's top class. I can't remember him having a game as laden with errors as Bravo's City debut, but regardless I don't think he deserved to just be chucked out straight away. I'd say the same about Toure if his attitude wasn't generally quite poor - that or his agent's anyway.

• Like 1

Not necessarily, if Doncaster appointed a manager who likes to play one up front and that player has to be an absolute speed demon to fit the system, Coppinger would be out on his arse. The fans would hate it, the dressing room would hate it but if his replacement then bagged thirty goals and got you promoted, they'd all soon change their tune.

Hart (and possibly in the near future, Kompany) was probably somewhat unlucky that Pep has come in after working with Neuer and Boateng, who are both more comfortable on the ball than most outfielders, so he had big boots to fill.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Doesn't have to be that way though. The man in my avatar proves that. Perhaps it's just at the top level where it's gone completely.

Joe Hart is hardly a shit keeper, is he. A couple of mistakes at the Euros, sure, but he's top class. I can't remember him having a game as laden with errors as Bravo's City debut, but regardless I don't think he deserved to just be chucked out straight away. I'd say the same about Toure if his attitude wasn't generally quite poor - that or his agent's anyway.

Maybe it could also be that a lower league club has contracted a player for two more years than they needed to, no other club is interested and they can't fuck him off on a free >_>