2016 Rio Summer Olympics

Read something on the beeb about why we are called Great Britain at the Olympics and how it excludes the Northern Irish. And if we called it Team UK we'd be leaving out all the dependencies. Its a bit easier to say Team GB than Team UK plus all the crown dependencies >_>

2 hours ago, Lint said:

I wouldn't say nothing

zdAwnR.png

She's clearly going over the line, in a manner that does look somewhat purposeful

Not a chance is that purposeful. They mostly all move across to one side of the lane for the handover (look at Trinidad in lane one, and lane four too), and it's just a shame that the Brazilian was a bit too wide and impeded. 

More importantly, Jade Jones :wub:

Yeah, there's no way that was purposeful. Just unfortunate, and personally, I don't think they'd have let many other teams have a free re-run. It isn't fair on the Chinese at all. However, I want us to finish above China in the medal table so I'm okay with it being them who miss out as a result :shifty:

2 hours ago, MDK said:

Read something on the beeb about why we are called Great Britain at the Olympics and how it excludes the Northern Irish. And if we called it Team UK we'd be leaving out all the dependencies. Its a bit easier to say Team GB than Team UK plus all the crown dependencies >_>

I thought we were, officially, "Great Britain and Northern Ireland", and Team GB is just like a branding name? I'm sure whenever I watch us in Athletic meets we have the long name plastered on the uniforms.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Adam said:

Yeah, there's no way that was purposeful. Just unfortunate, and personally, I don't think they'd have let many other teams have a free re-run. It isn't fair on the Chinese at all. However, I want us to finish above China in the medal table so I'm okay with it being them who miss out as a result :shifty:

I thought we were, officially, "Great Britain and Northern Ireland", and Team GB is just like a branding name? I'm sure whenever I watch us in Athletic meets we have the long name plastered on the uniforms.

But what about the Isle of Mann :P

It's a crown dependency, poor Mark Cavendish 

54 minutes ago, MDK said:

But what about the Isle of Mann :P

It's a crown dependency, poor Mark Cavendish 

Poor Mark Cavendish? Man's got an olympic silver medal and 30 Tour De France stage wins. And Peta Todd. I think he'll be okay!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Adam said:

Poor Mark Cavendish? Man's got an olympic silver medal and 30 Tour De France stage wins. And Peta Todd. I think he'll be okay!

But inside he is crying 

• Like 4

Not content with all the teams, Lineker makes bold claim for all the isles.

2 hours ago, MDK said:

I prefer to call it Olympic Mincing. 

I had a look at the Race Walking Association's website the other day, it's a bit embarrassing really. They justify its stupidity by comparing with swimming strokes, but I've never watched a Butterfly where every swimmer looks like they want to break into a front crawl constantly.

"I'm lagging behind here, if only there were some faster means of propulsion I could use to catch up?"

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Colly said:

Not content with all the teams, Lineker makes bold claim for all the isles.

I had a look at the Race Walking Association's website the other day, it's a bit embarrassing really. They justify its stupidity by comparing with swimming strokes, but I've never watched a Butterfly where every swimmer looks like they want to break into a front crawl constantly.

"I'm lagging behind here, if only there were some faster means of propulsion I could use to catch up?"

Its up there with horse dancing and golf for most pointless Olympic sports for me. Olympic poetry would be more interesting. 

Fuck it, Olympic Professional Wrestling would be better. 3 judges scoring them on how exciting the match is, like synchronised swimmbling.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MDK said:

Its up there with horse dancing and golf for most pointless Olympic sports for me. Olympic poetry would be more interesting. 

Fuck it, Olympic Professional Wrestling would be better. 3 judges scoring them on how exciting the match is, like synchronised swimmbling.

Having three professional judges argue over whose brawl stat should be higher would certainly be something.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Having three professional judges argue over whose brawl stat should be higher would certainly be something.

Plenty of potential judges in the EWR update forum >_>

• Like 2

I'm guessing none of us are show jumping experts, but my mother is a former show jump horse trainer so here's her opinion:

I don't like Nick Skelton at all but he deserves this for everything he's done.

So there you have it.

4 minutes ago, Adam said:

You say Olympic Poetry but I've just read that Britain's oldest ever Olympic medalist is a man who won a silver in Art in 1948. He got it for doing a bloody painting! At the Olympics!

Poetry, Town Planning and Architectural Design were at the '48 Olympics :lol: 

• Like 2