2016 Rio Summer Olympics

I thought Joyce might have won that, but I can see why the judges could have justified giving it to his opponent. Joyce was the busier worker, but it was tough to see how many of his shots were getting through, whereas his opponent's were much more clear-cut. There are judges out there who would reward work rate over accuracy, but they weren't on the panel today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

For all the negativity during the build-up, I thought these Olympics were fantastic.

That's because they did a pretty swell job at sweeping over all the shit stuff with 'SPORTS ACHIEVEMENTS'.

Life still sucks in Rio for far too large a proportion of its residents and the money used for the Olympics (and the World Cup) could have been used to help levitate the disparity in wealth in the city.

I imagine Britain's media would have been much more concerned with exposing living standards, etc. If it wasn't so busy declaring how many golds we were winning.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

That's because they did a pretty swell job at sweeping over all the shit stuff with 'SPORTS ACHIEVEMENTS'.

Life still sucks in Rio for far too large a proportion of its residents and the money used for the Olympics (and the World Cup) could have been used to help levitate the disparity in wealth in the city.

I imagine Britain's media would have been much more concerned with exposing living standards, etc. If it wasn't so busy declaring how many golds we were winning.

That's not really what I meant. I was just referring to how much I enjoyed the competition. The issues surrounding life in Brazil shouldn't be forgotten, just as they shouldn't have been during the 2014 World Cup, which I also enjoyed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

That's not really what I meant. I was just referring to how much I enjoyed the competition. The issues surrounding life in Brazil shouldn't be forgotten, just as they shouldn't have been during the 2014 World Cup, which I also enjoyed.

Your post referenced the negativity surrounding the Olympics prior to the event which primarily revolved around the city, dead bodies, crime and terrible infrastructure. I don't think it was ever in question that the sports would be great.

4 hours ago, Twist said:

Also, in reference to the previous discussion about Northern Ireland not being included in the Team GB name ...

_90869820_gbmedalwinnersbreakdown.jpg

Seems there is a reason for that. :(Y):

Who is our Channel Islands medalist? Obviously the Manxman is Cavendish...