Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

Sky Sports are saying that Luke Shaw will consider his future in the summer at Man United. 

Hardly surprising really as Mourinho has treated him like absolute shit. To be fair on the lad, he had his leg snapped in half only a couple of seasons ago as well. Not easy to come back from, sometimes you need time and maybe a loan away to really get your match fitness / experience back. See, Aaron Ramsey.

He needs to get out of there as soon as possible for the sake of his own sanity, being constantly criticised isn't going to do anything for his frame of mind, confidence and general well-being.

That being said, Poch criticised Shaw for his attitude and fitness when he was at Southampton, LVG criticised him for the same reasons when he was at Man Utd and Roy Hodgson criticised him about his fitness when he was England manager, now you've got Mourinho criticising his commitment, decision making and footballing ability in general. The lad has only played under five managers at the very top level and four of them have felt the need to publicly criticise him, maybe that says something. It's also been nearly two years since he came back from the broken leg, at some point it's got to stop being used as an excuse for not performing.

Be interesting to see what happens in the summer, they just excised the option to extend his contract until next summer, which I would imagine is purely so they can recoup a transfer fee for him. But where's he going to go? I can't imagine any of the top six will be interested in him and there's no way anyone else in the league is going to match his current wages, which I would assume are more than £100k a week. Man Utd aren't going to be interested in a loan deal as they want cash now. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who would move abroad. Will he take a pay cut to join one of the other PL clubs and get his down and attempt to prove the detractors wrong? What if he takes the easy option and decides to ride out his contract with little to no first team football so he can ask for more money in 2019? What does that say about him as a player?

The story of Luke Shaw in a swap deal for Danny Rose has picked up steam again, for what that's worth. <_<

Some random article I read, was also claiming that Jose wants to get rid of something like 7 players, in the next window.

Edited by Noah

I feel sorry for Luke Shaw. I mean tbf I do think he could be in better shape but you don't know if there is actually either underlying reasons for it or if it is just lack of work ethic etc. 

The way Mourinho has been to him, if that was a normal working environment H.R would have a field day. 

Poch also loves Luke Shaw - he goes on and on about him in his book, thinks he's a great talent and a great lad. I'd be very, very happy with a Shaw - Rose swap deal, to be honest. Rose hasn't come back well from injury at all. For me, he was the best left back in the league before his injury, but he's not been himself since he's come back and obviously his interview this summer was awful. So yeah, I'd take the risk of the swap deal because I think, if anyone's going to get Shaw playing, it'd be Poch. Plus, we've got Ben Davies who has stepped up this season, but I still have my reservations about him against the big teams. 

• Like 1

I'd rather we got rid of one manager than seven players. :shifty:

Although having said that....

For me, out would go Elbows, Ibra, Carrick, Darmian, Rojo, Blind. Don't see the need to ship out the likes of Smalling and Jones who are good enough - Jones especially. Would keep Valencia who's one of the best right backs in the league even if he isn't a 'proper rb' whatever the hell that means in the era of Dani Alves. Young could stay if he's still hungry and Shaw should definitely be given the opportunity. If you're going to play two screening midfielders (especially at home!) then they actually need to screen the full back positions (or have the CBs do that, and the DMs screen the center) and you need fullbacks who are willing to push up and attack. Shaw can do that.

In would come Milinkovic Savic - a better Fellaini who can play great football too - and defensive reinforcements, a couple of centre backs (for England's sake I would avoid Burnley's pairing, although they are very good), maybe rescuing Romagnoli from yet another season of rebuilding at AC Milan and going for Kalidou Koulibaly if he's willing.

In an ideal world, we would never have signed Sanchez and had the space for an attacking signing, but I'm not seeing any real space unless the ridiculous happens and we move one of Mata and Martial.

other players on the ‘To be culled’ list besides Shaw : Ander Herrera, Anthony Martial, Juan Mata, Chris Smalling, Matteo Darmian, Daley Blind while Marouane Fellaini and Michael Carrick are also set to depart.

One player who won’t be leaving is Ashley Young, with a clause triggered in his contract to extend it by an additional year – that means he’ll remain at Old Trafford until at least 2019.

52 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Poch also loves Luke Shaw - he goes on and on about him in his book, thinks he's a great talent and a great lad. I'd be very, very happy with a Shaw - Rose swap deal, to be honest. Rose hasn't come back well from injury at all. For me, he was the best left back in the league before his injury, but he's not been himself since he's come back and obviously his interview this summer was awful. So yeah, I'd take the risk of the swap deal because I think, if anyone's going to get Shaw playing, it'd be Poch. Plus, we've got Ben Davies who has stepped up this season, but I still have my reservations about him against the big teams. 

You'd get the better end of the deal if that swap ever happened and I agree that he was arguably the best left back in the Prem. He just got a bad injury and seems to either pick up little niggles or just not play enough of a run of games to get into any sort of consistent form. 

I mean, I've heard about Mata and Martial leaving since Jose arrived - I don't want either of them to go, but this just feels like something that's thrown out there every window in the hope that one day the bullshit will actually have some truth behind it.