2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

Eli and Flacco are under-rated if anything. Almost everybody is so salty that they have rings, that heap shit on them for their stats. Like TD/INT ratio and QB ratings are more important than winning.

• Like 1

One of the biggest arguments I've ever been in was me saying that Eli Manning was an elite QB. I kept saying that with his two titles he was. Everybody else kept saying he wasn't because of his stats. If winning matters most, than Eli and Flacco are both elite.

I don't even get into those arguments, its all irrelevant.

I love Eli, I've seen him lift two Superbowl victories in my 11 years as a Giants fan so any semantics about his quality mean nothing. Aaron Rodgers is statistically the greatest QB ever but only has 1 ring. Would Green Bay fans trade his stat line for another? Of course they would. The game is about winning and this fascination about stats, fueled by people who care more about fantasy football than football is ridiculous. 

Is Eli the best QB? Not even close. But he's good enough to win, never gets hurt and is unflappable against pressure. Its just so much more than stats. Tony Romo is statistically the better QB for example but he's sat in the booth ringless while Eli starts his 200th consecutive regular season game.

He can throw as many picks and be as goofy as he wants, he's given me so many memories. That's my QB :wub:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TCO said:

I don't even get into those arguments, its all irrelevant.

I love Eli, I've seen him lift two Superbowl victories in my 11 years as a Giants fan so any semantics about his quality mean nothing. Aaron Rodgers is statistically the greatest QB ever but only has 1 ring. Would Green Bay fans trade his stat line for another? Of course they would. The game is about winning and this fascination about stats, fueled by people who care more about fantasy football than football is ridiculous. 

Is Eli the best QB? Not even close. But he's good enough to win, never gets hurt and is unflappable against pressure. Its just so much more than stats. Tony Romo is statistically the better QB for example but he's sat in the booth ringless while Eli starts his 200th consecutive regular season game.

He can throw as many picks and be as goofy as he wants, he's given me so many memories. That's my QB :wub:

And at the end of the day, isn't that what matters? He's won championships and provided his fans with tons of memories, both good and bad. Is he the most talented ever? By far, no. Will he hold lots of All-time records when he's Done? Probably. But he's won two Super Bowls, both against one of the greatest dynasty's ever and to me, that makes him elite.

2 hours ago, Jake O. Rhodes said:

The Bills have traded former second round pick Reggie Ragland to the Kansas City Chiefs for a fourth rounder in 2019.

Meh. He was a bad fit for the defense and coming off an ACL tear. Chances are good he would have been cut anyway.

The real big news out of Buffalo today is the signing of untouted quarterback Keith Wenning. Now we're getting somewhere.

I'm laughing my ass off. How the hell a QB who has never made it past the wild card round of the playoffs ends up being the highest paid player in the league is beyond me. 

Oh, wait. The people who run the Lions are insane. That's probably why.

(I'm guessing he won't be the highest paid player for long.)

2 minutes ago, TCO said:

The highest paid QB is the most recently paid franchise QB. 

It's never a bad deal locking up your guy.

Isn't every franchise QB "the highest paid player in NFL history" whenever they sign a long term deal?

20 minutes ago, Lint said:

Isn't every franchise QB "the highest paid player in NFL history" whenever they sign a long term deal?

Essentially yes and there's always somebody who says it's too much money. Carr and Luck before him set the bar and Mariota/Winston will raise it even further when their time comes.

It's all about % of the cap rather then the dollar figure anyway. It's in the team's best interest to lock the guy up early.

I am happy with the deal. He is our guy, and hopefully will be now for a while yet. 

There is nothing more important than the QB.  The problem is if you tie up 25% of your cap in one guy it's harder to surround that QB with talent in a capped league.

With Stafford, he's only taking up about 15% of it and the cap is going up each year.  So it's a reasonable deal to me.