NFL 2018

Lineker

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Actually the Saints are already over it, because they were told wins and losses don't matter. 

Ref: "The game clock is correct."

Romo: "Thanks!"

I fucking love Tony Romo. 

I literally thought he had said “The clock needs a rest”

13 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

2 amazing games today and this is your takeaway? 

I didn't entirely mean scripted as a bad thing, they were compelling.  :P  Though I'd struggle to call the first game amazing when a team got straight up robbed of a chance to go to the Super Bowl.  I know bad calls happen and all that but officiating has gotten progressively worse and this one was just really egregious.  I wanted the Rams to win, but not like that.  As a fan of the sport it just leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.

But the fourth quarter of the AFC game was great fun though.  Saying it felt scripted is more a nod to how ridiculous it all was with the back and forth.  Like....did anyone not see Brady driving down the field at the 2 minute warning?  I let out an audible "ARE YOU KIDDING?" when it went to OT.

I will say though, I still hate the NFL's OT rules.  Say what you will about "well, it's a team sport and the defense needs to make a stop"...in today's NFL there are games where you just know both defenses have completely checked out and whoever wins the toss is winning the game.  I greatly prefer college OT and I hope to see the NFL go to some variation of that someday.

As for the Super Bowl - it's no secret I hate the Pats (well, not even the Pats so much as living in New England and knowing a ton of Pats fans) but I'm actually hoping the Pats can win this SB.  Nothing against the Rams, but the Saints should be in this game.  So I'm cool with the Pats taking #6.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

As for the Super Bowl - it's no secret I hate the Pats (well, not even the Pats so much as living in New England and knowing a ton of Pats fans)

Weird how that works.  Definitely don’t miss it

• Like 1

Worst playoff non-call since the flag that was picked up in us vs Cowboys back in 2014... 

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

The sooner Tom Brady's arm falls off the cliff edge, the better.

Said it last week but there's no end in sight to it.  Brady being 42 this summer doesn't matter when nobody is allowed to touch him and he can check the ball down and throw to wide open receivers once the opposing defense inevitably gets gassed.

He'd said in the past that he'd like to play to 50 and everyone scoffed.  But more and more I think it's a legitimate possibility.  He doesn't seem like someone who is interested in retiring on top and he'd rather just play until he can no longer get results.  Unless and until teams figure a way to stop the Patriots from going to the AFC Title game if not the Super Bowl every year, there's no incentive for him to retire.

• Sad 2

The Pats just have a really well oil machine. A lot is to do with coaching and schemes. They are able to get their guys to execute their roles so well it’s hard to beat. It’s not even that the Pats are loaded with all-pro talent, but there is obviously something about the execution of their schemes that keeps them so good. 

I really don’t know the exact specifics, because it should seem as if “yeah, but can’t other teams do that?”. In a way, its like Pops system in San Antonio, he’s a great coach that had his guys buying in, and in turn churned out a really efficient team.

Yesterday was a great day of football. Yeah the Saints got hosed, and it was clear as day PI. My favorite part of that is if Robey-Coleman actually turned and looked at the ball he had the positioning to make an interception. The receiver, even without contact, probably wasn't going to be catching that ball. The refs were terrible all game though. Saints got a TD on a play when the play clock was already at zero I believe. There were some other missed calls. But that one late is just beyond glaring and something the league will have to explain and correct for the future.

Dee Ford is an idiot. Just look at where the ball is my dude! I also was shouting obscenities at the TV when the Chiefs scored on the wrong side of the 2 minute warning. Wish that drive could have taken longer, but you really have no control over that. Don't want to deliberately not score in hopes of scoring later.

I know the OT rules get discussed every time this happens and I really feel like even a TD shouldn't settle it. Too much emphasis has been placed on the QBs. They've made rule changes to reduce a defense's ability to make stops. They've marketed the league as being about the QBs. So from a fan standpoint we deserve to see both Mahomes and Brady get a shot in OT. And from a competitive standpoint I think the league has done too much where it can't justify having a coin toss at all decide a game. Basically, adopt CFL OT rules in the postseason at least. Maybe have teams start at midfield instead of the 35, but still.

Also in honor of the Saints I think the booth should be able to call down for any play in the final 2 minutes of the game. If it looks sketchy, they should quickly give it a look. Too much on the line.

Tony Romo knowing the exact play the Pats were going to run multiple times tells you so much about how he actually likes his job and cares about watching video of the teams he's calling the game for. When I type it out like that it doesn't sound like what he's doing is special but we've grown accustomed to countless ex-players and ex-coaches phoning it in for a paycheck. Also, Romo should be a head coach with that kind of attention to detail about the teams in the game.

4 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Said it last week but there's no end in sight to it.  Brady being 42 this summer doesn't matter when nobody is allowed to touch him and he can check the ball down and throw to wide open receivers once the opposing defense inevitably gets gassed.

He'd said in the past that he'd like to play to 50 and everyone scoffed.  But more and more I think it's a legitimate possibility.  He doesn't seem like someone who is interested in retiring on top and he'd rather just play until he can no longer get results.  Unless and until teams figure a way to stop the Patriots from going to the AFC Title game if not the Super Bowl every year, there's no incentive for him to retire.

If Tom Brady playing excellent football and trolling the internet until he's 50 is the price we have to pay so that people don't end their careers like Steve Young, I'm fine with it.. Wait until guys like Steve Young and Troy Aikman are in their 60s and start going, people didn't talk about Mike Webster, but they'll talk about QBs.

3 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

It seems to me like everyone knows exactly what the Patriots are going to do and still can't stop it for some reason. That's baffling to me. Like I enjoy Football but I'm not expert or anything but shouldn't teams be able to adjust by now?

2 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

The Pats just have a really well oil machine. A lot is to do with coaching and schemes. They are able to get their guys to execute their roles so well it’s hard to beat. It’s not even that the Pats are loaded with all-pro talent, but there is obviously something about the execution of their schemes that keeps them so good. 

I really don’t know the exact specifics, because it should seem as if “yeah, but can’t other teams do that?”. In a way, its like Pops system in San Antonio, he’s a great coach that had his guys buying in, and in turn churned out a really efficient team.

The bottom line is the Patriots are smarter and better prepared than any other team in the NFL. Bill Belichek's father was a coach and scout and Bill started learning that side of football at, like, six. This has been his entire life's work, and he is very, very good at it. He values smart football and not making mistakes above all else, the only real consistent has been Tom Brady.

The Patriots play sound, fundamental football, they rarely make mistakes and will never beat themselves. They have a coach and QB who have been together for nearly two decades and hae seen everything, they make the best adjustments in football. I don't think there's been a system like them since the Lombardi Packers or Brown's, uhmm, Browns. 

EDIT: Oh, and this only really works in the context of the Patriots now. The very first Patriots championship team they were underdogs and a little fluky (survived the Tuck Rule, the Drew Bledsoe injury, they missed the playoffs the next year, it was pretty out of nowhere), then they won with mostly defense until Tom Brady came into his own in 2007, then they kinda had both together, and now they just always make the right choices at the right time. So the different Patriots teams have all won in different ways, which just shows the versatility and intelligence of Belichek, really.

Pops is actually a great comp, IMO. It's funny how they're very similar, yet very different in personality as well.

Edited by DMN
  • Like 4

I think also, beyond Xs and Os, they don’t make egregiously stupid signings/trades/draft picks. They find guys like Kyle Van Noy because dumb ass teams like Detroit don’t use him to his actual skill set. The Pats see that, give up a 6th rounder and suddenly they have a reliable starting linebacker. 

Even beyond the discount Tom Brady gives, how often does NE go nuts in free agency? They never seem to get burned badly by a free agent signing. They make these shrewd little moves and end up with good players (see Wes Welker).

Yeah we’re at the point where I still absolutely fucking mega-loathe the Patriots, and want to see them lose every game, forever, but have a begrudging respect for them, because this is an absolutely insane accomplishment.

Them being able to pay Brady with income he gets from a sweetheart Patriots Place deal, so they don’t have to give him a cap killing contract is total fucking bullshit, but it’s one of those things  that’s totally legal for teams to do and no other teams take advantage of it.  Won’t be surprised if it’s magically deemed illegal once Brady retires though.

Edited by Maxx
  • Like 2