NBA 2019-2020 Season

Pooker

Other than the Buffalo Bills losing 4 Super Bowls in a row (hence why I call them the Buffalo Bowlchokers sometimes), I can't think of another sports team at all that came that close.

Does Jimmy White count as a team?

(For those who aren't snooker fans, he was the runner-up in 6 World Championships, 5 of them in a row between 1990-1994, 4 of them to the same person (Stephen Hendry) and never actually won the title.)

So  I mean, we probably already know that James Dolan is terrible and whatnot. The Knicks players are said to be furious that the team hasn't used their platform to speak out against racial injustice. I feel like it would be pretty understandable given that the league, and the team is mostly black. I also feel like it would be noteworthy that James Dolan is a Trump supporter and donor. He donated $300k to Trump's 2016 campaign and donated $125k towards re-election. Dolan also got married at Mar a Lago. Even still, you'd think the team would at least say something, especially if it was the will of the players to do so. James Dolan never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. 

1 minute ago, El Tiburon said:

So  I mean, we probably already know that James Dolan is terrible and whatnot. The Knicks players are said to be furious that the team hasn't used their platform to speak out against racial injustice. I feel like it would be pretty understandable given that the league, and the team is mostly black. I also feel like it would be noteworthy that James Dolan is a Trump supporter and donor. He donated $300k to Trump's 2016 campaign and donated $125k towards re-election. Dolan also got married at Mar a Lago. Even still, you'd think the team would at least say something, especially if it was the will of the players to do so. James Dolan never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. 

I've thought about this with a lot of major sports...maybe players should band together and go on strike? What are the owners going to do, play part time seasons with scab players in front of no crowds with a large section of fans angry alongside the players?

• Like 1

Just now, JMarushin said:

I've thought about this with a lot of major sports...maybe players should band together and go on strike? What are the owners going to do, play part time seasons with scab players in front of no crowds with a large section of fans angry alongside the players?

They really could, if they wanted to, and it would hit the owners where it hurts the most- their wallets. Perhaps the only way that they would listen is to be burdened with a huge financial loss. Most of the owners in any given sport really ever seem to care about profiting off the teams.

• Like 1

The NBA is voting on a proposal tomorrow, sending 22 teams down to Orlando, each will play 8 regular season games to determine playoff standings. If the ninth seed is within four games of the eighth seed, they'll have a two game double elimination playin games to determine the eighth seed.

If its approved by the owners, games will start on July 31st.

It's really not. Gives the teams that were close a chance to make it, let's everybody get back on game shape.

One drawback is that 13 of the 22 teams are from the Western Conference, but oh well. That's just how the league is.

My only question is who the NBA will screw over to get the Pelicans into the playoffs.

The Blazers were the only team against restarting the season on the vote yesterday.

They shouldn't be allowed to travel to Orlando to play. Should let a team that actually wants to be there play.

13 minutes ago, Pooker said:

The Blazers were the only team against restarting the season on the vote yesterday.

They shouldn't be allowed to travel to Orlando to play. Should let a team that actually wants to be there play.

It's weird they're against it as the 22-team format was done expressly to let all those Western teams in 2 games of each other have a shot. Maybe they were making the point that since they're ahead of the rest that it's unfair for the rest to have a chance too. Carolina did something similar in the NHL I believe.

They're really not that far ahead, tho. Them, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Phoenix are all within 3 games of each other. And Portland, New Orleans, and Sacramento are all 3 games back from the 8th seed in the playoffs. 

He's at odds with the Nets front office from the sound of things.  The plan was always for him to sit out the season even if he was cleared before the normal playoff time (and he was, ended up being cleared in late March)...but obviously with the delay providing a few more months of rehab, he wanted to make a return for the playoffs.  The team from the sound of things is having none of it.

Should make for an interesting few days of WFAN calls as Nets fans were talking about how they'd accidentally stumbled into a dream scenario where they get everybody back.

46 minutes ago, livid said:

Just because they voted against it doesn't mean they don't want to play, they probably just wanted a different format. 

Oh, I'm sure they want to play but what other format could the NBA have done to make Portland happy? The choices were either to start the playoffs with the way things were, which leaves Portland out, or do it the way they did, which gives Portland a chance.

7 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

It's weird they're against it as the 22-team format was done expressly to let all those Western teams in 2 games of each other have a shot. Maybe they were making the point that since they're ahead of the rest that it's unfair for the rest to have a chance too. Carolina did something similar in the NHL I believe.

1 hour ago, Pooker said:

Oh, I'm sure they want to play but what other format could the NBA have done to make Portland happy? The choices were either to start the playoffs with the way things were, which leaves Portland out, or do it the way they did, which gives Portland a chance.

Portland's issue is likely that they had the easiest schedule to finish the year and Memphis had the toughest, and now that's equalized.