College Football 2020

Lineker

The one problem i have with this season is Ohio State's ranking. #4 (then dropped to #5) before they've even played a game and others have played 3 or 4 already. Was bullshit. Whoever gave them 2 first-place votes should have been banned from voting the rest of the season.

Even more than Alabama, I hope someone beats OSU this season.

Lane Kiffin is being fined for bitching about the officiating during the Ole Miss-Auburn game, saying they helped Auburn win. Even though they've admitted that he has a point. (The Rebels weren't given a turnover they should have received, and later lost the game.) So...if a coach complains about the officiating and is fined, even though he's right, shouldn't the offcials either be fined, or suspended the next game they're supposed to work, if their bungling affects the game's outcome?

We'll see if Lawrence really wants to avoid the Jets when it comes time to officially declare intentions in January.  Lawrence had previously said he's finishing his degree early and he intends on going pro in 2021.  There's nothing stopping him from changing his mind and staying another year in school for his masters if he really doesn't want to be a Jet.

People have joked that maybe he'll pull an Eli and try to get himself traded but that feels unlikely to happen again anytime soon.  Eli was out of eligibility and had league connections.  We'll know the final league standings by the time players have to officially declare, Lawrence will know where he's going.

If I were a surefire top pick I'd always threaten to stay in school if possible, with slot money it's less beneficial to make the other team sweat but there's still something to gain. Also with slot money Lawrence can probably take a pretty hefty insurance policy out on himself with ease and play his senior year if he really, really wants to avoid the Jets without losing any money once he does go to the NFL.

There's also the market to consider.  Yes, not every player is drawn to the attention that comes with playing in a big market...but New York offers so much additional earnings potential from a marketing and endorsement standpoint.

Plus from a legacy standpoint, the Jets have such a low bar to clear with QBs in their history.  Namath's the big one and really his legacy is so heavily tied to one game.  If Lawrence lives up to the hype, becomes a multi-time Pro Bowler and at least makes the Jets into a regular playoff contender he'd become at worst the #2 QB in their history almost by default.

8 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I'd laugh if he stayed in school for an extra year only for the Jets to pick him at #1 in 2022 anyway.

I'd personally laugh more if he announces his intention to go pro in December and the Jets in line for the top pick and then they beat the Pats in week 17 to give the top pick to another team.