Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

This is about to cause an absolute shit storm, especially given how hypocritical it is given the UK's own problems with COVID cases right now 

Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, pretty much all of South America is on here, as is Egypt and Turkey. Panama is on the list as well, which means the USMNT will be without Pulisic, Sargent, and Steffen for that match, if it stays like this for October.

Also: 

• Admin

Pep Guardiola has said he plans to leave Manchester City when his current contract runs out in 2023. The 50-year-old Spaniard, who joined City in 2016 and has won three Premier League titles, feels he will need a rest after seven years in charge.

And the former Barcelona head coach revealed his next ambition is to take charge of a national team. “Next step will be a national team, if there is a possibility. A national team is the next step,” he said at an XP Investimentos event, as reported by ESPN on Wednesday.

“After seven years on this team, I think I’m going to have a stop. I’m going to have to take a break, see what we’ve done. And in the process, I would like to train a South American [team], European [national side], playing a Copa América – I want to have that experience.”

Guardiola took a 12-month break following his departure from Barcelona in 2012 after four years at the Camp Nou, and joined Bayern Munich in 2013.

His comments will come as a further blow to the City hierarchy on the day their pursuit of Harry Kane ended, with the England captain confirming he would be staying at Tottenham this summer.

• Admin

Horrific.

Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

The matter is subject to a legal process and the Club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.

https://www.mancity.com/news/club/club-statement-63765586

I've seen a lot of people online going down the "Man City are all wrong uns" route citing Adam Johnson and Robinho, which is obviously idiotic.

But...I don't think I knew about Robinho. Convicted of being part of a group sexual assault on a woman in Milan, but because he was in Brazil at the time and they don't have an international extradition policy, he hasn't ever started to serve that sentence. Shocking details surrounding it, and I don't think I ever knew about it.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I've seen a lot of people online going down the "Man City are all wrong uns" route citing Adam Johnson and Robinho, which is obviously idiotic.

But...I don't think I knew about Robinho. Convicted of being part of a group sexual assault on a woman in Milan, but because he was in Brazil at the time and they don't have an international extradition policy, he hasn't ever started to serve that sentence. Shocking details surrounding it, and I don't think I ever knew about it.

That actually popped up again recently. Robinho rejoined Santos on a minimum wage to help then amidst financial woes, but Santos quickly terminated the deal because people rightly brought up he should be in jail in Italy.

19 hours ago, Baddar said:

The fact it's got to the charge stage suggests they've got enough on him. 

That'll be his career done.

Talking of potential sexual assault charges, what's the latest on Gylfi, or was that just rumours?

You won't hear much about Gylfi for a while given its at investigation stage and it's gonna take some time which is only fair for all parties involved

Whereas as you've pointed out it appears there has been some form of investigative work already done surrounding Mendy for them to get to a point of feeling there is enough to reach a charging decision 

19 hours ago, Adam said:

Yeah the Robinho situation came out a while ago, the whole things mad. I'm sure he played in Turkey for a bit and his team got drawn against an Italian side so he stayed in Turkey. 

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Mendy has been remanded in custody. This one seems like a slam dunk.

Also - one of the complainants is under 18 years old.

Was inevitable that he’d be remanded as he’d breached his bail conditions. Shocking situation all around mind.

Mad that City kept playing him while out on bail. Got to give due process and that, but big difference between being out on bail and released pending investigation. Surely they should’ve suspended him a lot earlier than they have.

1 hour ago, Cymbols said:

Was inevitable that he’d be remanded as he’d breached his bail conditions. Shocking situation all around mind.

Mad that City kept playing him while out on bail. Got to give due process and that, but big difference between being out on bail and released pending investigation. Surely they should’ve suspended him a lot earlier than they have.

Tbf bail conditions would have probably been not to approach the victims or communicate with them which is pretty standard a lot of the time 

Suppose their argument would be the investigation was ongoing and they've acted and suspended him  when he's been charged.