Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

9 hours ago, damshow said:

Sacking Poch was such an odd panic move. He could've told every Spurs supporter "it's going to be a tough few years while we rebuild the roster and we might not make it to Europe every season" and not a single person would've wanted him gone. Now he gets to manage Neymar, Messi, and Mbappe. For a little while longer at least.

I think you can look at the core failure of the last three years as Levy being pot-committed to the idea that the squad wasn't stale and could continue to perform well without significant turnover and investment (particularly since the new stadium wasn't paying dividends yet and that's before the pandemic shut it down to paying fans for a year) and they just needed the right manager to motivate them. Had he just done what Pochettino actually wanted in that summer window... eh, well, who's to say ultimately, no sure things, but we can see what came from the choice he did make.

• Like 2

There were bigger problems at the time for Arsenal than just Emery. 

Think it would be a good move if Newcastle can get him in. It's just more  a case of ensuring they survive this season than let him build on next season. See who can or wants to come in during January. 

• Like 1

I'm more than fine with Emery, especially with a more or less clean slate in January and this summer to build up the squad. I don't think this is going to be a repeat of Man City where they won the Premier League in less than 4 years from their takeover. Newcastle have a lot more that needs to be built up infrastructure wise than City do after they were given the Etihad. My best guess is aspirations are for European finishes and deep cup runs with Emery once he assembles his preferred squad. He's more than capable of that.

On the Emery point - I think the problem is the language barrier. By all accounts that was his main issue at Arsenal. He struggled to get his message across to the squad. 

He’s no doubt a top manager, but I wonder if he really is the man for Newcastle. 

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Conte is a great appointment, but seriously, that vignette is a little embarrassing. I thought they were revealing the next Doctor Who for a second there.

Emery for Newcastle would be a great choice! Didn't have a great start at Arsenal but his win percentage was still better than Arteta's. I still think his sacking was a bit premature. Arsenal fans have such inflated expectations, Newcastle probably won't have the same pressure. As people have said, maybe he can find someone to translate properly as well.

4 hours ago, FLiam said:

On the Emery point - I think the problem is the language barrier. By all accounts that was his main issue at Arsenal. He struggled to get his message across to the squad. 

He’s no doubt a top manager, but I wonder if he really is the man for Newcastle. 

Tbf I think anyone who goes to Newcastle struggles with the language barrier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, The Kraig said:

Conte is a great appointment, but seriously, that vignette is a little embarrassing. I thought they were revealing the next Doctor Who for a second there.

Emery for Newcastle would be a great choice! Didn't have a great start at Arsenal but his win percentage was still better than Arteta's. I still think his sacking was a bit premature. Arsenal fans have such inflated expectations, Newcastle probably won't have the same pressure. As people have said, maybe he can find someone to translate properly as well.

The pressure on the Newcastle manager is pretty huge to be honest, and will only be bigger now they have all the money. I'm not sure this will be a job with less-pressure than Arsenal for Emery, or whoever takes over.

Unai Emery has reportedly turned down the Newcastle job with sources citing “a lack of a clear vision”. Which is funny because that’s what Emery’s problem was at Arsenal. :lol:

But yeah, they must have told him “We’ll spend some cash innit”.