Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

• Admin

Thomas Tuchel criticised Chelsea supporters who sang owner Roman Abramovich's name during a minute's applause for Ukraine before their 4-0 win over Burnley at Turf Moor.

Abramovich announced his decision to sell the club amid heavy scrutiny following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Some Chelsea fans chanted Russian Abramovich's name throughout the game, and were booed by Burnley fans.

"It's not the moment to do this," Chelsea manager Tuchel said.

"If we show solidarity we show solidarity and we should do it together.

"We take the knee together. If an important person from our club or another club unfortunately dies we have a minute of respect.

"It is not the moment to give other messages. It's the moment to show respect. We want to do this. As a club we need our fans to commit to this minute of applause.

"We do it for Ukraine and there is no second opinion about this situation. They have our thoughts and our support and we should stand together."

As well as the pre-match applause, banners, cards, pennants and TV screens in the blue and yellow halves of the Ukrainian flag proclaiming 'Football Stands Together' were displayed at Premier League games on Saturday.

Abramovich, 55, is alleged to have strong ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin, which he has denied.

Tuchel was speaking after third-placed Chelsea beat Burnley thanks to a Kai Havertz double and goals from Reece James and Christian Pulisic, all of which came in the second half.

A Chelsea spokesperson echoed Tuchel's sentiments in a statement.

"The club's very firm view is that moments of respect or recognition should always be honoured by everyone present," it read.

Abramovich has been at Chelsea for 19 years since taking the club over in July 2003, during which time they have won 19 major trophies.

Thomas Tuchel has criticised the Chelsea fans who interrupted a moment of applause for Ukraine by singing about their billionaire Russian owner Roman Abramovich.

“It’s not the moment to do this,” the Chelsea manager said of the chants that were heard from a significant contingent of the travelling support before the Premier League game against Burnley. “If we show solidarity, we should show solidarity together.”

The gesture, which was met by boos from the Burnley fans, marred a planned minute’s applause for the Ukrainian people and felt particularly provocative given that the Chelsea owner has as yet failed to condemn Vladimir Putin for his expansionist war in Ukraine.

Tuchel did not hesitate to condemn the singing, calling for Chelsea fans to show more respect in such situations. “We take the knee together, if a person from our club dies we show respect,” he said. “It’s not a moment to give other messages.

“We also do this because of what we are as a club. We show respect, and we need our fans to commit to this minute of applause in the moment. We do it for the people of Ukraine and there is no second opinion about the situation. They have our thoughts and our support and we should stand together as a club.”

Of some consolation to Tuchel was the fact that a turbulent week, in which Abramovich announced his intention to sell the club following defeat in the Carabao Cup final, has ended with progress in the FA Cup against Luton and this 4-0 win over Burnley.

“It shows a lot of character,” he said of his players’ response. “It shows the guys have what it takes to play for Chelsea and we have the environment to focus on football, because we are allowed to focus on football. The team did very well and we kept on believing.”

Three Chelsea goals in the space of eight minutes after half-time wrapped up the game and Sean Dyche lamented his team’s collapse after a promising start. “It’s the madness of football,” he said. “Conceding doesn’t mean you have to stop what you’re doing.

“We opened up too quickly, we stopped doing all the basic principles, lost out physically in a couple of challenges, and got punished by a group of very talented players.”

See, I'd thought it a bit of a weird coincidence that there'd been a number of stoppages due to emergencies but it never occurred to me that someone would think it's a conspiracy. Is this an anti vax thing?

7 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

See, I'd thought it a bit of a weird coincidence that there'd been a number of stoppages due to emergencies but it never occurred to me that someone would think it's a conspiracy. Is this an anti vax thing?

Yup. I've even seen a few people suggest Shane Warne 'must have had the booster recently'.

• Like 1

It's just raised awareness of medical emergencies now, especially as Christian Eriksen is the first time I can remember someone going down like that in a high profile European game watched by millions live. I want to say this is the first season in which English games are stopped and players taken off the pitch if there's an incident in the crowd too?

Also, if you want to look at correlations, cocaine use in football fans has certainly gone up since the pandemic....