NFL 2021

Lineker

Giants' injury report has Barkley, Golladay, and Toney out with Shepard, Slayton, Engram, and Ross questionable.  For anyone keeping score that's the RB, TE, and top 5 WRs.  Between his skill position players being perpetually hurt and the offensive line being a dumpster fire, the team STILL can't even properly evaluate Daniel Jones three seasons in.  And the QB class projects as being so bad he's probably coming back in 2022 due to a lack of any other reasonable options, especially with the team already being in salary cap hell for next year.

Just an unbelievably dark time for the franchise with no end in sight.  Can't wait for them to win a meaningless game in December against the Dolphins that results in the Eagles (who have the Dolphins' 1st round pick next year) picking ahead of the Giants and taking Kayvon Thibodeux.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CM Busch said:

Giants' injury report has Barkley, Golladay, and Toney out with Shepard, Slayton, Engram, and Ross questionable.  For anyone keeping score that's the RB, TE, and top 5 WRs.  Between his skill position players being perpetually hurt and the offensive line being a dumpster fire, the team STILL can't even properly evaluate Daniel Jones three seasons in.  And the QB class projects as being so bad he's probably coming back in 2022 due to a lack of any other reasonable options, especially with the team already being in salary cap hell for next year.

Just an unbelievably dark time for the franchise with no end in sight.  Can't wait for them to win a meaningless game in December against the Dolphins that results in the Eagles (who have the Dolphins' 1st round pick next year) picking ahead of the Giants and taking Kayvon Thibodeux.

Do you think Gettleman and/or Judge are back next year? 

My guess about the Giants is they clean house, bring in a new regime, and the new regime takes a shit QB in the 2022 draft instead of using the year to get out of salary cap hell. It's a trap a ton of franchises fall into, always trying to address QB in an off year instead of taking someone in a loaded year for QBs. Giants did it when they took Barkley (granted they would have presumably taken Darnold instead so moot point perhaps).

I suspect with fears of season ticket revenue GMs are always spooked to try waiting an extra season to solve a problem, and instead just wind up creating an even worse one.

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

If ownership is smart, they'll get rid of Gettleman asap, but *maybe* give Judge one more year. You can make arguments for or against Judge. 

Yeah, he's hard to judge 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, damshow said:

My guess about the Giants is they clean house, bring in a new regime, and the new regime takes a shit QB in the 2022 draft instead of using the year to get out of salary cap hell. It's a trap a ton of franchises fall into, always trying to address QB in an off year instead of taking someone in a loaded year for QBs. Giants did it when they took Barkley (granted they would have presumably taken Darnold instead so moot point perhaps).

I suspect with fears of season ticket revenue GMs are always spooked to try waiting an extra season to solve a problem, and instead just wind up creating an even worse one.

I don't know why but I am fascinated by the idea of a team hiring Brian Daboll as their coach and him bringing Trubisky with him as a stop gap for any team looking to clean house. 

19 hours ago, livid said:

Do you think Gettleman and/or Judge are back next year? 

One of the few times Wellington Mara made a public statement and felt the need to shake up the organization was when he looked into the stands and saw fans heading for the exits early in the second half.  It was the clearest sign to him that the fans weren't going to watch a lousy product anymore just because it was their favorite team.  I think John Mara is reaching a similar point.  Eli had his number retired at halftime a few weeks ago and Mara gave some words during the ceremony and got loudly booed, you could see the pained expression on his face.  This was a team that was known for having strong ownership and that image has been destroyed in the last decade.

He hired Gettleman because he was too risk averse to hire someone he was unfamiliar with.  I think he's well aware now that the entire Gettleman era was a massive failure and they're in, at best, the same spot they were four years ago, maybe even worse.  I don't think injuries can be an excuse either when many of the players they built this team around were known to be injury prone.  They took the risk and it failed.  So I think Gettleman was gone, the question is will they finally make a bold hire or just do some dumb shit like promote the assistant GM.

As for Judge, his fate should be decided by the new GM and nobody else.  Mara can't force a coach on someone.  Personally though I'd rather start over.  Yeah another coaching change isn't good but Judge is way too conservative for his own good.  I thought making the players run laps for mistakes in practice was overblown by the media, but it's not a good look for him when he does all that and the team is still among the most undisciplined in the league.

14 hours ago, damshow said:

I was on record of wanting Darnold over Barkley.  A franchise QB is always more important than a running back.  As we know now, Darnold probably would've flopped but at least it still would've been a justifiable decision.  Instead Mara foolishly believed in Gettleman's vision of trying to make one more run with Eli.  What they really should've done was trade down a few spots, take Quenton Nelson in the first and Nick Chubb in the second and they'd have been a thousand times better off now.

New regimes do often bring new QBs but if Mara actually makes a smart hire who has a clue about the modern game, they'd realize that it makes the most economic sense to give Jones one last year and use your two first rounders on studs to put yourself in a better spot for the immediate future.  But it's tough to trust this organization to not screw up.

21 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

The Chiefs defense is horrific and in any normal year they probably shouldn’t sniff the playoffs.

The only thing they have going for them is that I struggle to find 7 good teams in the AFC.

Baltimore

Buffalo

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

Tennessee

Cincinnati

I really only trust Buffalo and Tennessee out of those 6, but if things held, KC will be fighting with, like, Indianapolis and New England for the seventh spot.

EDIT: this is so disrespectful to Cleveland, they're basically in the same place as KC to me. If they were healthy I'd have them in the top group, tho.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

The Chiefs defense is horrific and in any normal year they probably shouldn’t sniff the playoffs.

The only thing they have going for them is that I struggle to find 7 good teams in the AFC.

Them having the tiebreaker with Cleveland feels like it could be very significant.

• Like 1