NFL 2021

Lineker

Schefter, Woj, Shams, I'm sure a baseball guy or two I'm forgetting about. They all basically have the top sources to break stories but to do that they have to play super nice. It's not deplorable, I agree. It's just there has to be a bridge between them and then the actual journalists who chase stories. But the fact what they're all doing is being marketed as objective journalism by their employers is ridiculous. 

I guess I don't mind the cost of getting access to the big news scoops, what I mind is they then turn it around on and also write what are supposed to be objective news articles when it's clear they can't run afoul of the people they're writing about. Because if they did they'd lose their sources.

• Like 1

He's a mid-season replacement for Maxx Williams, who got a horrible knee injury last week. It's a risk-free move to try and bolster our Offensive options. Many thought we may just go without and play 5-wide on most snaps.

Which we could easily do, it's just not as diverse. Hopkins, Kirk, Green, Moore and Ertz is a hell of a group of pass-catchers for Kyler Murray, added to Conner and Edmonds.

Oh yeah I don't hate his addition in Arizona given the need to replace Maxx Williams. I was just surprised the Eagles managed to trade him for anything.

AZ should use TEs more in their offensive system, but that hasn't come back to bite them quite yet. If it does I don't know if Ertz will be able to replicate his past form. If he can though, they'll be even better than they were before.

31 minutes ago, damshow said:

Oh yeah I don't hate his addition in Arizona given the need to replace Maxx Williams. I was just surprised the Eagles managed to trade him for anything.

AZ should use TEs more in their offensive system, but that hasn't come back to bite them quite yet. If it does I don't know if Ertz will be able to replicate his past form. If he can though, they'll be even better than they were before.

Williams has been key this season, we missed him against SF. He's put up better numbers than ever before and was a really consistent part of the Offense in the first few games. Hopefully Ertz can contribute enough to keep us ticking along, it's a move that makes a lot of sense for us. If not, nevermind - as I say we have the WR group to make up for it.

1 hour ago, METALMAN said:

I’m going to an NFL game today. More out of curiosity than any liking for the sport and oh my god, British American football fans are a special class of mutant. 

How aggressive do you feel right now?

38 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I’m going to an NFL game today. More out of curiosity than any liking for the sport and oh my god, British American football fans are a special class of mutant. 

I've always wondered how the gameday experience differs for the London games. Here you usually have people show up hours before kickoff, drinking and cooking in the giant parking lots around the stadiums, and generally being multiple sheets to the wind by the time they're in the stadium. Obviously parking lot tailgate or no there's ease of access to alcohol in nearby pubs but curious what elements of the US experience make their way over there.

For comparison, in MLS (as well USL and lower leagues) as well as with the US national team there's a clear attempt by the clubs and some supporters to mimic what can be mimicked from European counterparts but it often feels very artificial.

• Like 1

My favourite bit so far is when they paused the game to interview a couple of England cricket players to ask them if they were enjoying themselves.

Also there are two geordie guys behind me talking about OFFENZ and DEEFENZ and SOPHOMORE YEARS and it is really funny 

17 minutes ago, damshow said:

I've always wondered how the gameday experience differs for the London games. Here you usually have people show up hours before kickoff, drinking and cooking in the giant parking lots around the stadiums, and generally being multiple sheets to the wind by the time they're in the stadium. Obviously parking lot tailgate or no there's ease of access to alcohol in nearby pubs but curious what elements of the US experience make their way over there.

For comparison, in MLS (as well USL and lower leagues) as well as with the US national team there's a clear attempt by the clubs and some supporters to mimic what can be mimicked from European counterparts but it often feels very artificial.

And this is really interesting. I think this is certainly out of the ordinary. Everyone is wearing different teams’ shirts which I assume doesn’t happen at normal games.

I’m not enjoying it to be honest. I don’t like stopping the game for car hire advertising or for “kiss cams”. The music is incessant and far too loud and also shit. I don’t like it the militarisation of the spectacle.

But I was broadly expecting that so I can’t complain. I had a free afternoon and thought it was worth checking out and it has been an interesting experience. And now I’ve been to a game for each of the big four American sports. Baseball was lovely, the other three were bad. Ice hockey was the worst.

And I’m not necessarily anti-NFL. I used to watch it quite regularly. But the live experience is not for me. (watching it on TV the next day is aided by the fact you can skip through all the shit)

• Haha 1