NFL 2021

Lineker

Bucs are kicking Gruden out of their Ring of Honor. Said some shit in an email about a member of the Glazer family to the effect of 'he can blow me', and that has opened up a whole can of worms because the Bucs have Antonio Brown, and people are screaming 'cancel culture' and it's just going to be one big mess. 

10 hours ago, Mick said:

Bucs are kicking Gruden out of their Ring of Honor. Said some shit in an email about a member of the Glazer family to the effect of 'he can blow me', and that has opened up a whole can of worms because the Bucs have Antonio Brown, and people are screaming 'cancel culture' and it's just going to be one big mess. 

I don't believe in 'cancel culture', it's just consequences of people's actions, but it's pretty hypocritical on the Bucs parts. 

Of course, basically every sports franchise in the world engages in the same hypocrisy, especially the NFL, so whatever.

One of my brother's fantasy teams is called Ray Finkle's Moustache. It always makes me chuckle.

Anyway, very excited as I'm off to the Dolphins game at the Tottenham Stadium on Sunday! The joyous joining together of my favourite teams from two sports, both of whom are just full of long-term disappointment and misery.....but I'll enjoy Sunday anyway!

I'm hoping Tua's back (as expected) and plays a good game 'cos the toxic section of 'Fins fans really want him to fail. Although they're already saying that he SHOULD beat the Jaguars easily so even if he plays a perfect game they still won't think any better of him.

Ugh, idiots. Anyway, I've got my Gesicki jersey ready to go and my bro and three friends are heading off early Sunday to make a day of it! Whoooo.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, damshow said:

Miami was good on paper to start the season. They still have time to turn it around. That doesn't mean the game itself was good but at least they'd have had a good team out of the 4 sent over there.

I know the Jaguars was always lined up to become the "England" team and that the Jets are pretty well supported here. Dolphins too for those of us who got into it back in the 80s.

Also, I made a, umm, copypasta of Aaron Rodgers doing the CM Punk pipe bomb promo over on r/NFL, but y'all might enjoy it too...

Tom Brady, while you lay there, hopefully as uncomfortable as you possibly can be, I want you to listen to me. I want you to digest this because before I leave in 3 weeks with your NFL Championship, I have a lot of things I want to get off my chest.

I don’t hate you, Tom. I don’t even dislike you. I do like you. I like you a hell of a lot more than I like most people in the league.

I hate this idea that you’re the best. Because you’re not. I’m the best. I’m the best in the world. There’s one thing you’re better at than I am and that’s kissing Roger Goodell’s ass.

You’re as good as kissing Rog’s ass as Eli Manning was. I don’t know if you’re as good as Peyton though. He’s a pretty good ass kisser. Always was and still is.

Whoops! I’m breaking the fourth wall!

[Aaron waves to the camera]

I am the best quarterback in the world.

I’ve been the best ever since day one when I walked into this league. And I’ve been vilified and hated since that day, because Ted Thompson saw something in me that nobody else wanted to admit. That’s right, I’m a Ted Thomspn guy. You know who else was a Ted Thompson guy? Clay Matthews . And he split just like I’m splitting. But the biggest difference between me and Clay is I’m going to leave with the NFal Championship.

I’ve grabbed so many of Roger S. Goodell's brass rings that it’s finally dawned on me that they're just that, they’re completely imaginary. The only thing that’s real is me and the fact that day in and day out, for almost sixteen years, I have proved to everybody in the world that I am the best on this field, in that locker room, even on Jeopardy! Nobody can touch me!

And yet no matter how many times I prove it, I’m not on your lovely little collector cups. I’m not on the cover of the program. I’m barely promoted. I don't get to be in movies. I’m certainly not on any crappy show on the NFL Network. I’m not on the poster of the Super Bowl. I’m not on the signature that’s produced at the start of the game. I’m not on Conan O’Brian. I’m not on Jimmy Fallon. But the fact of the matter is, I should be.

And trust me, this isn’t sour grapes. But the fact that Patrick is in the Super Bowl next year and I’m not makes me sick!

Oh hey, let me get something straight. Those of you who are cheering me right now, you are just as big a part of me leaving as anything else. Because you’re the ones who are sipping on those collector cups right now. You’re the ones that buy those programs that my face isn’t on the cover of. And then at five in the morning at the airport, you try to shove it in my face so you can get an autograph and try to sell it on eBay because you’re too lazy to go get a real job.

I’m leaving with the NFL Championship on February 13th. And hell, who knows, maybe I’ll go defend it in the CFL. Maybe…I’ll go back to the Pac-12.

[Aaron looks at the camera and waves]

Hey, Pat McAfee, how you doing?

The reason I’m leaving is you people. Because after I’m gone, you’re still going to pour money into this league. I’m just a spoke on the wheel. The wheel is going to keep turning and I understand that. Roger Goodell is going to make money despite himself. He’s a millionaire who should be a billionaire. You know why he’s not a billionaire? Because he surrounds himself with glad-handed, nonsensical, douchebag (censored) yes men, like Clark Hunt, who’s going to tell him everything he wants to hear, and I’d like to think that maybe this league will be better after Roger Goodell is dead. But the fact is, it’s going to be taken over by his another lawyer and the owners' doofus sons and the rest of their stupid families.

Let me tell you a personal story about Roger Goodell, alright? We do this whole [anti] taunting campaign...

[Microphone cuts off]

I've been silenced! 

• Like 2

Jemele Hill writing in The Atlantic: "The NFL is full of Jon Grudens"

If Gruden was so comfortable making vile comments in writing to an NFL team executive, imagine what NFL owners, coaches, and other officials were saying behind closed doors about Kaepernick, Reid, and other Black players who chose to be just as outspoken.

No matter how many social-justice slogans the NFL stencils in its end zones or allows players to put on their helmets, no matter how many prominent Black artists the league hires to perform during its Super Bowl halftime show, no matter how much money the NFL gives to anti-prejudice organizations, it will never fix its own corrosive, institutionalized racism without more fundamental change. Unless the league chooses to confront prejudice in substantive ways, bigots will continue to protect bigots, and power will continue to protect power.

And the NFLPA is planning on requesting that the NFL releases the 650,000 emails from the WFT investigation. 

"It is truly outrageous that after the NFL's 10-month investigation involving hundreds of witnesses and 650,000 documents related to the longtime culture of harassment and abuse at the Washington Football Team, the only person to be held accountable and lose their job is the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders," lawyers Lisa Banks and Debra Katz said in a statement. "If the NFL felt it appropriate to release these offensive emails from Jon Gruden, which it obtained during its investigation into the Washington Football Team, it must also release the findings related to the actual target of that investigation. Our clients and the public at large deserve transparency and accountability. If not, the NFL and [commissioner] Roger Goodell must explain why they appear intent on protecting the Washington Football Team and owner Dan Snyder at all costs."

• Like 2

100%. You've already got Jay Gruden going on radio shows and shit to talk about "the NFL has done a lot for my family" and it sounds like something out of a fucking mob movie. 

Adam Schefter is trying to play damage control and saying that sending an unpublished piece to Bruce Allen for him to review is something he’d never done before or since.

Yeah, sure.  I get that re-confirming info with your sources is normal. But giving the dude a full article to edit and it just so happens to be the only time he’s ever done that?  I think it’s been obvious with the rate at which he’s broken stories over the years that he has pretty high up sources within most organizations, something like this can only make me assume he does stuff like this all the time.

Not that the Schefter stuff is as damning or deplorable as the other stuff coming out but yeah, that dude’s journalistic integrity is shot in my opinion.