Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

5 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Meh. 

This isn't the frustrating part, the frustrating part is we needed to invest in the midfield about 2 seasons ago and didn't and spent this summer fart arsing about and ended up getting Arthur in on loan. 

We need several midfielders and if we can go the route of what worked prior when we got the likes of Salah/Mane/Gini/Robbo etc rather than splurge on one midfielder then I'm happy to do that. 

I do think this is a case of "leak it out" because every LFC journo is reporting on it like clockwork. But I think he'll end up at Madrid. 

At this point it's only the likes of City doing these "we want this guy and we'll pay whatever it takes" type transfers anyway, more clubs doing the sensible scouting and unearthing a gem routine can only be good for the league. And I'm not talking about finding another Mahrez or Kante for peanuts, the top sides obviously have more to throw around, but I'd much rather Newcastle keep going with Bruno/Botman style signings than throw £100m at one player.

6 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Jude’s a lifelong Birmingham City fan, so Liverpool falling below Villa probably does little to make them look an appealing destination…

His retired number must be fuming at that happening.

Mad how the footage doesn't look like an arm being pulled away and more an accidental catch to the neck but hey ho. 

Also as said the other day, FA basically did what they always do. Didn't punish Fernandes, punished Mitrovic, didn't punish Robertson. There's no consistency. I still think Mitrovic's is the worst of the three but there needs to be stricter guidance given about encroachment of officials and who can approach them. 

I also still think officials should be interviewed after games, sometimes just explain why they've given decisions. Atm you've got such a disconnect between the officials and then everyone else. It doesn't help when they just seem to double down and have no culpability at times. Listen to Peter Walton on BT every single time. 

28 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Mad how the footage doesn't look like an arm being pulled away and more an accidental catch to the neck but hey ho. 

Anytime I talk about this, I have to be very aware that the aftermath of the Mitrovic thing wasn't acceptable in any fashion. However, the reaction from Mitrovic came from the red card he got for grabbing the referee by the arm. Robertson did basically the same to the linesman. The main difference is that the linesman then shrugged off Robertson, hitting him with an elbow. 

Since Mitrovic at very basic levels got sent off for grabbing an official by the arm, Robertson should at least be punished for that. The wider scope of his is less bad, but it is just really poor timing and looks even worse due to how stupid the whole Mitro thing has played out alongside the Fernandes thing.

EDIT: I'll also add that the linesman throwing out his arm is the best thing that could have happened to Robertson as it has meant the discourse is all about the lino being punished it seems.

On 08/04/2023 at 19:09, Gazz said:

Proper goes to show how absolutely fucking useless Steven Gerrard was. You'd have been better off being managed by one of those golden, waving cats you get in Chinese restaurants.

This crosses my mind at least twice a day, every day. 

Squad’s pretty bare bones now and we put out that level of performance today. Just unbelievable. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Adam said:

That result feels like a real blow for Everton. If Leicester and Forest lose, it's mitigated somewhat, but Bournemouth winning means another of the teams above starting to get away.

We've been so awful recently, so to lose at home (and at a place where, outside of the last win, we'd lost some ridiculous number of times) speaks really poorly of Everton.

However, I'm still hoping Nottingham go down as that would be the funniest of all of the outcomes.

• Sad 1

For the majority of this season I've never felt like we were just never capable of scoring, and we've shown with so many late goals that our mentality has been spot on. This game has been awful and its looked like we're utterly clueless since the penalty.