Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

On 30/01/2023 at 06:47, 9 to 5 said:

Oh God don't let that YouTube prat out of the house.

Ah ha ha. lolujo is great.

This post is positively emerald green from 9 to 5.

A 9to5'er clearly enviously of someone who found a way to make a living off playing a video game. 😁

I just don't see us taking him back tbh. Too much backlash. It might be a case of paying him for the next 3/4yrs, looking for a loan somewhere that will take him, and eventually moving on after it expires.

He had the potential to be an all timer at Utd and I loved the guy but there's just so much bad blood there now.

I don't even think it's just footballers though to be honest. I've seen enough bullshit in the news and on shows like 24 Hours In Police Custody to know that the CPS won't proceed with stuff unless a case is water-tight, so evidently the witness dropping out here hasn't helped that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

I don't even think it's just footballers though to be honest. I've seen enough bullshit in the news and on shows like 24 Hours In Police Custody to know that the CPS won't proceed with stuff unless a case is water-tight, so evidently the witness dropping out here hasn't helped that.

It isn't just footballers, rape has one of the lowest conviction rates of all crimes because a lot of the time it boils down to he said she said.

• Admin

Mason Greenwood will not return to action for Manchester United while the Premier League club carries out an internal investigation into the allegations made against the 21-year-old.

Charges of attempted rape and assault were on Thursday dropped against Greenwood.

Greenwood, 21, was arrested in January 2022 amid allegations surrounding images and videos. The forward was later charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

On Thursday the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said there was “no longer a realistic prospect of conviction” after key witnesses withdrew their cooperation from the investigation.

But Greenwood, an England international, will not return to training or playing while United conduct an internal investigation, which is set to commence immediately.

The club said in a statement: “Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped.

“The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps.

“We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.”

It is not yet known how long this process will take to complete. United delayed commencing the internal investigation until after the charges against Greenwood were dropped, so as not to prejudice ongoing criminal proceedings.

Greenwood had been due to stand trial in November 2023.

A Greater Manchester Police statement on Thursday read: “Criminal proceedings against a 21-year-old man in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022 have, today (Thursday 2 February 2023), been discontinued by the CPS.”

Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s Head of Public Protection, added: “Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.”

A CPS spokesperson told The Athletic: “We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

“We have explained our decision to all parties.

“We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It isn't just footballers, rape has one of the lowest conviction rates of all crimes because a lot of the time it boils down to he said she said.

It really is. Had to correct someone today when they where actually victim blaming the victim for going back home with him. It's disgusting all of it. I'm glad he's finished in football. 

My Mother pretty much took her childhood abuser to court a couple of year's ago. A lot of it was victim blaming then, she was asking for it and all sorts. You can see why some women don't bother even coming forward. 

4 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

It really is. Had to correct someone today when they where actually victim blaming the victim for going back home with him. It's disgusting all of it. I'm glad he's finished in football. 

My Mother pretty much took her childhood abuser to court a couple of year's ago. A lot of it was victim blaming then, she was asking for it and all sorts. You can see why some women don't bother even coming forward. 

Unfortunately, he's not done in football, I think. He's still suspended by Manchester United right now, but the English FA isn't about to ban him or anything. Some club desperate for a forward will sign him, Premier League or Championship. 

Ched Evans was found guilty, almost signed with clubs when he was released, and then after he was acquitted on the retrial, got signed up pretty quick. If Manchester United sever ties with him, someone will still offer him a chance. Too many clubs don't care about morals, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

I think a lot will come down to what the Man Utd sponsors intend to do if we keep him at the club to be honest. I'm sure that will form part of the club investigation that's ongoing. If there isn't a mass exodus of sponsors, I can see him being brought back into the fold by the end of the season/pre-season.

It's hard seeing the victim blaming going on around the charges being dropped. 

The evidence is there in the public domain so for Greenwood whilst technically innocent by the law, he isn't really in the public eye. I can't see how he stays at Man Utd if there is enough of an uproar over him having any involvement. 

Saying that on the same hand, it's pretty much common knowledge about Thomas Partey being the footballer out on bail in regards to rape allegations and he's pretty much played week in week out so you never know what United may do. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

It's hard seeing the victim blaming going on around the charges being dropped. 

The evidence is there in the public domain so for Greenwood whilst technically innocent by the law, he isn't really in the public eye. I can't see how he stays at Man Utd if there is enough of an uproar over him having any involvement. 

Saying that on the same hand, it's pretty much common knowledge about Thomas Partey being the footballer out on bail in regards to rape allegations and he's pretty much played week in week out so you never know what United may do. 

Whilst I’m not dismissing the Partey allegations in any way - the two cases are different in the respect that an audio recording was leaked and visible evidence of domestic violence was also leaked.