NFL 2023

Lineker

Everything I have seen from Caleb Williams tells me he is no leader. Whatever team takes him better hope his talent outshines his selfishness, because I can't imagine his teammates rally around him when they need a game-winning drive. Not when he goes and pouts whenever something doesn't go his way. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

Everything I have seen from Caleb Williams tells me he is no leader. Whatever team takes him better hope his talent outshines his selfishness, because I can't imagine his teammates rally around him when they need a game-winning drive. Not when he goes and pouts whenever something doesn't go his way. 

You basically need a perfect org to manage a guy like this and teach him how to be a leader. The teams at the top of the draft have never felt like the organizations that can do that, with the exception of New England.

• Like 2

It takes a very special kind of player to be slotted in at QB with no NFL experience, and to immediately be a star player and carry the impossible hopes of a fanbase on their shoulders.

I think it's one of the major reasons why CJ Stroud succeeded and Bryce Young didn't. They both were trust into the starting role from day one, but one had a team in place that didn't expect him to shoulder the burden alone, one who were in a good place mentally and didn't have the expectations of greatness, and the other got nothing to work with, and was expected to be the best at his game, befitting his pick and the team's needs.

It's easy to say in hindsight, because many expected Young to succeed and Stroud to struggle. But pure talent and quality rarely is the thing that makes the difference, even at THE position like QB. So much at the position also relies on confidence rather than skill, the knowledge that your line holds, that your receivers get open, that the OC calls the right plays, and so on.

And that's honestly why Stroud got MVP votes, and Young was arguably the worst full starter in the league last year. Young was set up to fail, and he did so spectacularly. It's happened to many stud talents in the past, guys like Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield.

Bad teams love to pretend that one early 1st round QB is going to save their franchise and wipe away all the mistakes they have made and still make, that one 23 year old can turn the entire culture around and make them a winning team. But at the end of the day, there's a reason why the 49ers are in the Super Bowl, with 'Mr. Irrelevant' as an MVP candidate. Teams that are ran well, breed success... Teams that are ran poorly, only reap failure.

And that's not to say that all the examples would've succeeded as long as they were on the 9ers or lived under Rodgers' shadow for a bunch of years... But I would honestly bet on them being a fuckload better off as players if they had.

The Jets have had more QB 'failures' in the past years than the 9ers have had as starters in this century.

• Like 2

It boggles the mind that the Giants are, if the beat writers are all correct, going to pass on trying to get a QB and put the whole season on Year 6 of the Daniel Jones experiment.  And I say that as someone who had no issue with him getting paid last year.  He looked good in the Daboll offense, got them to the playoffs, played his best game ever in the road playoff win.  As easy as it was for everyone else to be like "LOL $40 million a year for Daniel Jones" this is basically fair market value now for a QB you feel you can win a big game with, plus they structured the deal in such a way they can get out of it 2 years in.  Baker Mayfield is going to get a likely very similar deal from Tampa now in similar circumstances.

However, with that said he looked awful in his limited time last year.  The team spiraled out of the gate and he was unable to keep it together at all.  But more alarmingly so, he went right back to being injury prone as he was every year before 2022.  Why should I trust a guy with multiple neck injuries and now a torn ACL to stay healthy?

I realize they're stuck with him on the books this year no matter what but I just can't see how you can justify to the fanbase that you're not picking a longer-term QB this year.  While a lot can change, the 2025 QB class doesn't project to be great at all.  I think fans like the idea of Daboll picking a QB he can mold to his scheme from the jump.  You'd think Daboll and Schoen would view this as a job security deal, if they take nobody and put it all on Jones they need to get canned if the team sucks.

15 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

Vegas is offering +100000 odds on the Super Bowl ending in a tie due to an alien invasion

Easy money!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

You basically need a perfect org to manage a guy like this and teach him how to be a leader. The teams at the top of the draft have never felt like the organizations that can do that, with the exception of New England.

I fail to see how the Washington franchise has not proven itself to be the gold standard of leadership credentials.

:shifty:

• Haha 3