2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

Looking like Dumervil is going to get cut in Denver, leading to a Manning Freeney reunion after all. Dumervil will without a doubt get picked up pretty quickly, methinks.

And Reggie Bush looks like he'll land in Detroit.

Both per PFT. Looking like it's gonna be a busy day of news.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah today's gonna be exciting, it always is. The negotiating period is great because it sets up a complete frenzy as soon as free agency opens.

I hear rumors that New England has emerged as a potential landing spot for Cruz, which leaves Welker out in the dust. Basically getting younger for the same price.

Ed Reed just hired an agent and has supposedly yet to hear a contract offer from the Ravens. With them now $11 million under the cap following the Boldin trade they probably have just enough to squeeze him in unless San Fran, Indianapolis or New England offer a big deal. Colts have the money, Patriots possibly don't if the Cruz rumors are true. Ravens desperately need his leadership with Boldin and Lewis gone. That said, Ellerbe is a much more vital need, because if they don't keep him they have to draft Minter, Ogletree, or Te'o and all of them come with question marks. They're focusing their efforts on keeping Ellerbe, but while doing that the signs are pointing to Ed Reed heading out of town. Why else would he hire an agent?

Shit Miami, you can't go all New York Jets in your quest to catch New England. That's a bit much for Ellerbe; Ed Hartwell, Jamie Sharper, and Bart Scott should tell you that guys do really benefit from playing alongside Ray Lewis. It does suck for the Ravens though because they now have to draft a MLB in the 1st round. Fortunately there are a couple who are capable of starting right away. Losing Kruger means nothing, he excelled as soon as Suggs came back (not a coincidence) and they already drafted Upshaw planning on him to fill the hole Kruger would leave when he signed somewhere else.

Quietly a strong signing by the Ravens was keeping James Ihedigbo, he's no Ed Reed but he fills a possible hole. And if Reed does return they have Ihedigbo to play special teams where he excels. This is what the great GMs in the NFL manage to do, almost never leave a position vacant and at least fill it with someone average (which Ihedigbo is). Ellerbe is a rare exception where they have nobody to fill his spot, and could be a real big hole if McClain's spinal cord concussion keeps him out another year. I'm expecting them to take cheap deals on some veteran castoffs, see if any plug in well, and also obviously draft a player to hopefully keep in that position for a decade.

Also, Miami apparently signed Mike Wallace too. I think anyone who watches the AFC North will agree with me in seeing this as a potential disaster signing for them.

• Like 1

Sad but not surprised to see Martellus Bennett go. Fortunately though, the Giants have one of the best positional coaches in the league in Mike Pope - so they never seem to be in bad shape with TE's no matter who is playing. Pope could probably coach one of us into a productive TE at this point.

Shit Miami, you can't go all New York Jets in your quest to catch New England. That's a bit much for Ellerbe; Ed Hartwell, Jamie Sharper, and Bart Scott should tell you that guys do really benefit from playing alongside Ray Lewis. It does suck for the Ravens though because they now have to draft a MLB in the 1st round. Fortunately there are a couple who are capable of starting right away. Losing Kruger means nothing, he excelled as soon as Suggs came back (not a coincidence) and they already drafted Upshaw planning on him to fill the hole Kruger would leave when he signed somewhere else.

Quietly a strong signing by the Ravens was keeping James Ihedigbo, he's no Ed Reed but he fills a possible hole. And if Reed does return they have Ihedigbo to play special teams where he excels. This is what the great GMs in the NFL manage to do, almost never leave a position vacant and at least fill it with someone average (which Ihedigbo is). Ellerbe is a rare exception where they have nobody to fill his spot, and could be a real big hole if McClain's spinal cord concussion keeps him out another year. I'm expecting them to take cheap deals on some veteran castoffs, see if any plug in well, and also obviously draft a player to hopefully keep in that position for a decade.

Also, Miami apparently signed Mike Wallace too. I think anyone who watches the AFC North will agree with me in seeing this as a potential disaster signing for them.

Whenever I see his name, I can't help but think "gesundheit"

Either way, who are these no name guys the Eagles are signing? I vaguely recall hearing Bradley Fletcher's name before, and I've heard of Patrick Chung. Not asking for "Dream Team," obviously, but a recognizable name or two would be nice.

Wouldn't mind a Revis trade at the right price (maybe a 2nd and a 4th), or Eric Winston.

For obvious reasons I have to agree, Everyone is blowing up about us self destrusting but the only reason there's any stink being kicked up about this is that along with these two we also had Lewis retire... and because most tend to overlook the way we've done Flacco's contract to free up cap space this year.

Boldin at this stage of his career isnt a major loss either with the breakout season from Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones doing rediculous things on a weekly basis.

I'm happy so long as we dont sign Harrison.

Ravens cut Bernard Pollard. Patriots should sign him so that he doesn't ruin their title chances yet again.

This is a weird cut, his cap number wasn't that big. Granted he's a guy who flourished more because of who he was around than through his own skill. Ravens don't want to repeat the mistakes of 2001, they're taking it to the extreme in a way but I think in 3-4 years I'll be thankful they took the option to build around young players right away. Ngata, Suggs, and Webb are all back next year on defense; people overlook that the Ravens won the Super Bowl without their best defensive player last year in Webb. Plus, they can look for cheap free agents to sign to plug holes and could very well stumble upon another Corey Graham.

• Like 1

If Pollard signs with the Pats, he'll just get injured for the year.

In lol, Jaguars news of the day, they've cut Laurent Robinson after only one season. Now he can come home to Dallas.

If Pollard signs with the Pats, he'll just get injured for the year.

In lol, Jaguars news of the day, they've cut Laurent Robinson after only one season. Now he can come home to Dallas.

I believe they cut him because of concussion problems, Robinson doesn't feel like he's ready to go out and play right now. He was due a bonus. It was a lol Jags signing because of how bad it looked from day one, but yeah he's a guy suffering from concussion issues which sucks.