2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever reason, I have developed an irrational fandom for Margus Hunt.

There's nothing irrational about it, dude is a beast. Running a 4.6 40 with 38 bench press reps at 6'8" & 275 lbs.? Yeah, that's disgusting.

He's raw but in the right system (learning behind Justin Smith for example :shifty:) he could flourish.

Margus Hunt is a beast...the only question is, are you getting a raw guy that will develop, like Aldon Smith or JPP, or are you getting Mike Mamula or Omobi Akoye, where they have the tools, but can't play on Sundays?

Also, on Flacco...I jacked this from the comment section on PFT, but thought it was pretty good, so I'll present without further comment:

“Now, Baltimore Ravens:

It’s 2008. gonna sell you a quarterback for $120 million, more money
than any qb in NFL history! You’re going to go to the playoffs every
single year for his first 5 years in the league…and win at least one
game each time. You’re going to win the division twice; you’re going to
sweep your 8 home games and the AFC North for the first time ever during
one of those seasons; you’re going to finally beat the colts in the
playoffs; you’re going to finally beat peyton manning in the playoffs;
you’re going to finally beat tom brady in the playoffs; you’re going to
go to 3 AFC Championships in those 5 years (and he’ll play well enough
to win two of them); he’ll lead game-winning drives IN PITTSBURGH at
Heinz Field two seasons in a row; he’ll lead you to your best start in
franchise history of 9-2 while the defense falls apart b/c of injuries;
he’ll be a super bowl MVP
while throwing 11 TDs & 0 INTs in that playoff run; he’ll be
arguably the best deep-ball thrower in the league. . . . . . .but
occasionally he’ll be inconsistent with his completion percentage. Do
you want him or not?”

• Like 1

We also don't know if the inconsistency was due to Cameron changing on the gameplan on him mid-game or not. Caldwell stuck with what they worked on in practice and it seemed to work. Cameron will go "Nah" after one 3 and out and just try to run boring, low-risk pass routes. Caldwell as OC is the great unknown for Flacco, early returns showed a lot. Maybe getting away from Cameron will do to Flacco what it did to Brees. Some of that had to do with better pass protection, but it didn't have to do with the running game which slowed down in the playoffs, nor did it have to do with the defense like was the case in the past.

His arm is worth at least $5 million a year, you can't teach that. He can play miserably but make 2 60-yard throws that will win a game. Another $5 million a year comes from his record, winning QBs are always going to have more leverage than losing QBs. The rest is truly a result of good-timing, a good market (I can assure you Cleveland, Arizona, Kansas City, NY Jets, and Buffalo all would have made a big run at him if he hit the open market), him already getting first-round pick money, him just entering the prime of his career, and the ability to restructure throughout the duration of the deal. He was probably getting $15-16 million a year before the Super Bowl run (he turned down a deal around the price range), logically some more gets tacked on for his postseason.

No he's not "worth" $20 million a year based on the complete picture but that number is the new normal for franchise QBs in the league. Matt Ryan's deal will look like something similar, and Aaron Rodgers will get something more. Luck or RG3 will likely establish a new record when they hit free agency. In 3-4 years everyone will get "Flacco money" and it will stop looking significant.

It's hard to tell. I know Jordan got $30 million for one year a long time ago but that's not really a good example. Depending on how you look at it, I think Lewis tied the biggest deal ever based on annual salary (KG did it first) at $21 million/per, but Kobe signed for the most dollars ever given in one contract. Lewis' deal was probably worse since it was all guaranteed though. I know a lot of NFL deals are really exercises in creative accounting, but it's just weird to me that Joe Flacco has the richest contract in league history (for now).

• Like 1

Eh, I don't get too hung up on all of the highest player in the league talk. It's rare that any players in the NFL see every cent of their contract. Look at the "100 million" Vick contract, for instance. There was never any chance of him seeing at least $20 million of that, no matter how well he played. It's a way for agents to inflate contracts so they can attract other clients. Like the many Brady deals over the years, he'll restructure at some point anyway.

Flacco is only the highest paid player ever because he was the latest big time quarterback to come up for a contract. As soon as Rodgers comes up, he'll get the crown, and then Kaepernick, and then Luck/RG3/Wilson. It's the nature of the league and position.

It's pretty much a meaningless designation since, if he doesn't live up to the contract, he likely won't see half of it. Just a feather in his cap for now.

• Like 3

In his pro day at University of Minnesota, Northern Iowa reciever Terrell Sinkfield ran a 4.19 40...holy shit

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/northern-iowa-terrell-sinkfield-runs-recordbreaking-4-19-141840831--nfl.html

I think the Vikings scout is wrong. His average on all 3 runs was 4.3. He did a 4.27, 4.19, and stumbled on his third which was a 4.44. If one guy has it different from the rest then chances are he's the one in the wrong.

Someone's going to take him relatively early, no idea how his hands are but he could at least have a career as a return man.

In his pro day at University of Minnesota, Northern Iowa reciever Terrell Sinkfield ran a 4.19 40...holy shit

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/northern-iowa-terrell-sinkfield-runs-recordbreaking-4-19-141840831--nfl.html

With the fifth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select...

Fixed :shifty:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9022182/san-francisco-49ers-serious-suitor-darrelle-revis-source

Looks like Revis Island will not be in San Fran next year. I can't say I am surprised, the front office in San Fran has become almost New England West over the past few years when they deal with paying players through free agency or even retaining their own players. Revis is a top end corner but he will be paid like a top five defensive player and the Niners tend to look for free agents that will come cheaply in recent years.

...that being said, I wish it would happen one way or another. Having Revis and Sherman in the same division would be gold for a year or two with all the twitter fodder that has went on between the two in recent months.