2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

People actually want their teams to trade up to draft Geno Smith? Dude isn't a top five talent. He might get drafted there, but only because there's a dirth (derth? fuck if I know) of quality quarterbacks this year. Spend your first rounder on someone who deserves it, and pick up Ryan Nassib (I think that's how you spell it) or Mike Glennon in the second or third.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dearth :)

And I totally agree on Geno. I watched a bunch of his games this year, and he just made...no NFL throws. He throws long down the field when his receiver has beaten his man and has a paddock to work with, or he throws 3 yards from scrimmage. I can't recall a single complete intermediate level pass he made.

Geno Smith is the kind of pick that gets a GM fired and used to set a franchise back 5+ years because of the cap issues. The hit isn't as bad now, but it's still likely whichever team drafts him has to spend another 1st rounder on a QB by 2016.

I agree with the sentiment here on Geno Smith, but the problem is that people have been so blown away by the quality of mobile rookie quarterbacks(Wilson, RG3, Kaepernick, and Luck, to a much lesser extent) that they'll overvalue this guy because of his athleticism. Chiefs fans, in particular, are obsessed with this guy and swear that he will be the savior of their franchise. One look at their fan forum shows this, as there's a damn 300 page topic on drafting Geno, not to mention they all flipped their shit when the Alex Smith trade rumors started up. Anything less than taking that guy with the number one pick isn't good enough for them. The delusion is kind of sad, honestly.

http://deadspin.com/5987034/actually-tom-brady-is-getting-a-raise

So, Tom Brady will actually be making more money with this extension, but, because it clears some cap space immediately there's that perception of "The Patriot Way," and all the other BS that's followed TB throughout his career. Exactly the reason why guys like Peter King are always so quick to get on their knees for Tom before the details come out.

They're going to rip the contract up in two years, before the "3-year, $27 million" extension even starts, but the perception is that Brady's willing to do anything for his team, even accept well-below market value, even though that's not the case at all. I hate the Patriots.

The "Patriot Way" is the biggest fraud in sports. Asante was right to leave NE, and Welker would be wise to cash in with a big signing bonus, too.

This man is a professional idiot, kids - do not try this at home without a trained idiot to supervise.

Never made any bones about the fact that I don't like the Patriots. They use the perception that Brady takes a hometown discount to strong-arm other players into taking less money, then tear up the extension and give him a huge raise. How does that make me an idiot?

The idiots are the talking heads on ESPN, SI, and NFLN who fall for all that garbage.

I wouldn't say it's too much of a reach. You know what you're getting with Smith. He's an above-average QB, very accurate. He's not gonna blow a game open with Flacco-like deep throws or anything, but he'll manage going 17-20 for like 250 and 2-3 TDs.

I just hope for his sake Reid doesn't feel like throwing 45-50 times a game, like he did a ton of times in Philly.

Yeah, I like Alex, but I don't see him working out in KC. Chiefs fans are having a meltdown over not getting Geno right now, and I don't understand why as he really isn't the savior they think he will be. At least if Alex doesn't work out next turn, they can have a crack at Johnny Football next year,

Edited by HeadCheese

While I'd probably not be too estatic with my team giving up two 2nds for Smith, I think this was a wise decision by the Cheifs as with the dearth (lol DMN) of QBs in this draft it would lead to either hoping someone falls into the second or reaching/swinging for the fences with the number pick for a QB. In trading for Smith, they can now use that #1 pick either as a trade chip or shore up the OL that will help protect Smith for a couple of years while KC looks for a prospect QB to bring into the system.

To add my obligatory Bears post here, I still think we go inside OL or CB in the first, OL second, and QB somewhere in the later rounds as we need to add more depth to that position.

Joe Flacco already defied the odds once.

...surviving for that long in proximity to Ray Lewis, that is.

Now he'll be killed under the weight of expectations. He is the American Andy Carroll.

• Like 2

Flacco will only be the highest-paid until Rodgers gets his money. Like Roethlisberger, both Mannings, Brady, and Brees these huge contracts are made as much for the agent's reputation as anything else. He'll restructure, give the team some cap relief, and as the salary cap increases over the next few years his contract will come in line with the eventual extensions of RG3, Luck, Wilson, Kapernick, and the aforementioned Rodgers to name a few.

But good for him, he and his agent get to have this title belt for a little while.

And to Plubby, if he could survive 5 years of weighty expectations from Ravens fans, who are some of the hardest fans in any sport to please, and eventually culminate that with a Super Bowl win I wouldn't be expecting him to struggle under the expectations of "living up to his new deal".

The problem with Flacco is that he thinks he's an elite QB, and he's not. Elite QBs are consistent, while Flacco can go from being almost a football god one week to being the second coming of Rex Grossman the next.

Atlanta cuts Turner, Abraham, & Robinson. Frees up around $18 million and rids us of an aging back, an aging defensive lineman, and a complete jackass.

I keep hearing that Stephen Jackson rumor, but I don't trust his attitude or body, either. I suspect a large chunk of that freed up money will go to either him or Dwight Freeney, which frankly is the same as having Turner or Abraham. I'd rather it be spread around to add some depth, starting with a cheaper power back who's not nearing 30 and can be just enough to keep defenses freaked out when Rodgers goes screaming around the sides.