2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like Ed Reed is ironing out a deal with the Texans. You always want a guy this iconic to retire with the Ravens, but dishing out money for a 35-year-old safety is hard to justify when you've got a lot of other players who are younger tied up on big, long-term deals.

Lot of talk that in the post-Ray Lewis era the Ravens coaching staff is working on reinventing the locker room culture as well, and getting rid of vocal veterans like Pollard and not bringing back Reed might be part of that process.

Kevin Kolb refused to accept a lower contract so he's gone. Which is pretty pleasing so long as a good starting QB is found.

Meanwhile Jasper Brinkley has been signed to partner Daryl Washington, Pro Bowler Lorenzo Alexander comes in from Washington plus cornerback Jerraud Powers has come in along with veteran safety Yeremiah Bell and QB Drew Stanton. Kerry Rhodes is out though.

Pretty happy with that business so far but there's a long way to go to finish rebuilding this team. Shaping up well on D but the offense needs a hell of a lot of work still.

I'm still extremely torn on Geno. He's starting to look like a really good player potentially but I still can't decide if he will be the answer or not. Then again 12 months ago I thought John Skelton could be that answer and it hasn't worked out like that at all. I expect with Kansas off the table Cards will draft Geno but yeah...the jury is out.

Only way the Cards get Geno is if they trade up. Jaguars and Eagles are above them and are extremely interested in him. I can see 3 QBs going in the top 10, Geno to Philly/Jax, Barkley to 'zona and the Bills to take Manuel/Glennon. All reaching but all QB needy.

Oakland should be in the mix too.

At this point, i wouldn't mind Oakland taking Geno Smith as much. He looks like he could be good, and Oakland could sit him behind Palmer for a year. I think the Raiders are at least a year away from really doing anything above 6-10, we're 15 million under the cap, but have 32 million in dead money. Could be major players next year.

I'd rather cut Palmer, or trade him for anything, see what Pryor has, and if he looks like he can play, build around him. Otherwise, take our inevitably high draft pick and select Teddy Bridgewater. I think he'll be a better NFL quarterback than Manziel.

Ahahaha! So, the Broncos have been doing some good stuff in free agency, until right now. And it isn't even their fault! Elvis Dumervil agreed to a pay cut and to stay with the team, but his agent didn't fax in the papers on time and now Elvis is a free agent. And even though the Broncos want to sign him, there are now cap ramifications and it's gonna be a huge mess. Wow.

• Like 1

I wish Madden had the option to let you jump into the current point of a offseason/season and everything would reflect what is currently going on. Would love to start a Ravens franchise right now.

Edit; Greg Jennings is a Viking.

I have to second this.

I can't say I'll miss Greg honestly. I appreciate the time he spent with GB, but dude seriously overvalues himself and can't stay healthy to save his life. Signing with a division rival is a bit of a slap in the face, though. He might end up missing #12 after a year of catching from Christian Ponder.

Ahahaha! So, the Broncos have been doing some good stuff in free agency, until right now. And it isn't even their fault! Elvis Dumervil agreed to a pay cut and to stay with the team, but his agent didn't fax in the papers on time and now Elvis is a free agent. And even though the Broncos want to sign him, there are now cap ramifications and it's gonna be a huge mess. Wow.

Would the rules (or law) allow him to fire his agent, re-sign with the team, and tell them to keep the 10% that would have gone to the agent?

There would need to be a special exception created for Dumervil if he's to be able to go back to Denver without cap ramifications. Basically the agreed upon total can't happen without the league allowing its rules to be broken in this one situation.

This could go to court too, this reads like the set of facts for a contract suit. Either way, it's a huge mess that won't soon be resolved.