Football Manager 2014

Dan

Playing the Vita version and it's pretty cool. The game engine looks great on the small screen.

As Spurs I started well with a 4-1 win over West Ham, a late victory over Sunderland and easing through the Europa qualifier with a couple of 4-0s.

Got given manager of the month and then promptly lost to Aston Villa away, got brushed aside 1-3 at home to Man Utd and 1-2 away at Liverpool. Then Chelsea beat me 1-2 at Stamford Bridge in the Carling Cup. I did beat the Europa Group J whipping boys 5-1 during that run of misery but still, sad times.

However I then beat Chelsea 3-0 in the league and just beat Norwich with a Chiriches header in the 89th in the kind of home game that I was realistically struggling in.

I got given £20mil to spend which doesn't go far these days but then realised that it was the summer of our seven signings so having more money was a bit of a bonus I guess.

With my bonus money I bought Kacaniklic from Fulham (£6.25m) as a proper left winger, Jack Robinson from Liverpool (£6m) because I can't recall BAE from loan and we all know that Rose is poop. Finally on the last day of the transfer window I browsed the transfer list and grabbed Joleon Lescott who was cheap at £775k...although with annoying wages.

So that means I line up with four defenders, a defensive midfielder in front of them, a left winger and box to box mid in front of him, an inside right and attacking mid in front of them and a striker up top. Very fluid and mixes bits of Chelsea, Liverpool and old school Ajax.

I'm giving Gomes games in the cups bless him and my two main "pet projects" from the youth are defender Milos Veljkovic and winger Laste Dombaxe.

My usual line-ups are something like:

Lloris

Walker

Chiriches/Kaboul

Vertonghen

Robinson/Lescott

Sandro/Capoue

Paulinho/Dembele

Kacaniklic/Townsend/Chadli

Eriksen

Lamela

Soldado

Lennon and Sigurdsson tend to get game time too, especially when Lamela was out injured early on.

My top scorers right now are:

Vertonghen 7 (11 games)

Soldado 6 (8)

Kane 3 (3)

Eriksen 3 (10)

Loads of other goals spread around the squad too which is lovely. Eriksen has 12 assists already which is ridiculous.

Do any of you guys have any success bleeding in young players? I nearly always end up sending 90% of my youth out on loan, then injuries arrive and I end up fucked, so quit. Could do with some sort of reliable system for using them that doesn't revolve around following the advice of my seemingly incompetent coaching staff.

Buy young (and as much as it is 'cheating' using something like FM Scout to grab the best regens is basically the most useful thing you can do) and blood them slowly. One or two here and there. I always try to have at least one play under 21 years on my subs bench.

Oh, and train for roles rather than individual stats. The latter can be worked on later. The former is more important.

Playing the Vita version and it's pretty cool. The game engine looks great on the small screen.

As Spurs I started well with a 4-1 win over West Ham, a late victory over Sunderland and easing through the Europa qualifier with a couple of 4-0s.

Got given manager of the month and then promptly lost to Aston Villa away, got brushed aside 1-3 at home to Man Utd and 1-2 away at Liverpool. Then Chelsea beat me 1-2 at Stamford Bridge in the Carling Cup. I did beat the Europa Group J whipping boys 5-1 during that run of misery but still, sad times.

However I then beat Chelsea 3-0 in the league and just beat Norwich with a Chiriches header in the 89th in the kind of home game that I was realistically struggling in.

I'll be making a proper start later today.

I usually go a big side on the pc version, so I kinda want to start in League 2 on this and see how I do. I'll be trying to get Newport County to the Premier League! Experience this low down is nil, let alone where some of you guys start, so I'm not expecting much success.

So Tuesday I went back to my very first FM14 game, a beta Southampton one in April 15 and played it through to the end of the season... where I was up against Spurs in the Europa League Final.

0-0 ET, and I lose two players to red cards with 20 minutes to go. Hold on, and Joel Campbell scores in the 118th to nick it! :w00t:

Probably my best achievement, that, even if I had a pretty soft run of games in the QF/SF to get there.

EDIT: Also

Steam-Meter-update-3.004.png

WE DID IT GUYS :w00t:

I'll be making a proper start later today.

I usually go a big side on the pc version, so I kinda want to start in League 2 on this and see how I do. I'll be trying to get Newport County to the Premier League! Experience this low down is nil, let alone where some of you guys start, so I'm not expecting much success.

Yeah I'll restart a Vikingur Olafsvik game as I love taking charge of a small team too. The sense of success at getting Ade Akinbiyi to sign and become a club legend within two seasons was brilliant.

Hilarious. Playing against Newcastle at WHL. The ball goes through to Krul who picks it up. Kane is lurking nearby...so Krul decides that it's a good reason to put the ball down on the ground......

....Kane easily dispossesses him and slips the ball into the open goal. Stupendous.

Also, Lennon is godlike.

Started a career with Leicester after a disaster spell at Man United, where I ended up buying Kyle Walker and giving Spurs, Hernandez, also ended up buying Kevin Volland there, who wasn't that bad. Now with Leicester, Jesse Lingaard is a dream boat, two losses and having a good spell in the Cup.

Another wonderful goalie blunder. We're playing Morecambe in the FA Cup third round. The ball rolls through to their goalie Barry Roche who has no-one anywhere near him. He runs out to collect the ball outside of the area and picks it up. The plum.