Football Manager 2014

Dan

I might... *might* have finally cracked a 4-2-3-1 with wide players. It's a formation I haven't been able to get working on FM 2014 but seems I might finally have managed to find a system that creates chances while being solid at the back.

Too early to tell if it will stick, gonna use it for a season with United before I have another go at a career game.

Very fluid... why have I never used you before?

Well, my current season with Shakhtar is chugging along very nicely.

My vast amounts of riches have made sure that I am pretty much dominant in the Ukrainian Leagues, and also in the Europa League there hasn't been a team that have made me lose.

Currently I have played 30 games in total, and I have won 20 of them and drawing the rest. I've won the Ukrainian supercup against Dinamo which is my first title and my aims are to get all domestic titles and at least get into the semi-finals of the Europa League, if not win it.

In the league I'm first and undefeated. But having a bunch more draws than Dinamo it's still very close with only a single point between us with 12 games left.

Cup wise we're in the quarter finals against Olexandriya and the top 4 teams (Shakhtar, Dynamo, Dnipro, Metalurg) are all still in contention.

Europa League i'm in the first KO round, having a 3-2 aggregate lead against Fenerbahce. Biggest teams around are Citeh, Liverpool, Leverkusen, CSKA, Schalke, Zenit and more. It's anyones cup, and hopefully I will get a good draw if I get past Fener.

I don't have real interest in a long career with Shakhtar, I just want to abuse their riches and get european success before jumping ship to a league that's more interesting. The only challenge is having 4 uke's in the lineup at all times, which prevents me from going full on crazy superteam.

So, season is essentially over now that I've clinched league with 2 games left and stranded in the semi finals by the one team that has more cash than me (Citeh).

Cup is probably going to be a win, but I don't care about the cup.

Next season I want a new challenge, and i'm feeling ambitious by going to the other side of the atlantic and giving Brazil a shot.

I've never managed in Brazil though, and with all it's playoffs and leagues it looks confusing as hell. So anyone here have experience in the league and can give me a run down?

And I also looked at Argentina, but they a ridiculous amount of rules including an ''average points'' system I have no clue about.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Auxerre seems pretty damned fun.

Decided to start a game with Toronto FC now that I finally got my black screen mess sorted out. We haven't won yet, but we also haven't lost and we've steadily improved with each game (only four games in) and Osorio, surprisingly, has been awesome—three goals. Now, if only I could get Defoe going. Oh, and Michael Bradley's injured for two months. :/

Also, might anyone have 3D kits for the MLS from this season? I'm slowly making progress on fantasy kits, butttt I'm busy/lazy when I actually have free time.

Edit: Yaaaaaaaay Defoe scores. Booooo de Rosario's injured for two months.

AND OSORIO IS OUT FOR A MONTH. WOOOOOOO.

So my 4231 with United suffered its first two defeats... away at Newcastle in the League Cup with a weakened team, and then away at Liverpool in the league. 8 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat though from 10 league games, and we've sailed through the CL group stage with 2 games to spare.

Had Welbeck and RVP injured, and Mata needimg a rest, so chucked James Wilson in against Napoli at home. He finished with 2 goals and MoM. Love it when stuff like that happens.

So, Mid July and I found myself a new job.

It's not South America though, it's the silly North, managing the Montreal Impact.

They are at the top of their conference, but their manager decided to jump ship to the Galaxy... Well, his loss.

Captain is a 40 year old Marco Di Vaio, who I am trying to reconsider retirement because his abilities are still very impressive for his advanced age.

Biggest name is probably the 33 year old Joey Barton, who was sitting in reserves when I came in. I don't know what i'm thinking, but he'll probably get game time for me... And probably get sent off.

... So, since there are a bunch of you who have managed in the MLS. Can someone give me a good run-down of the salary cap rules in place?

Something with DP's only being marked at the senior minimum and half of that when signed at the midway point... And gen adidas kids not counting to the cap...

It's confusing, so if someone can layman the gist to me I would appreciate it.

There's no need to worry about the DPs and cap space. Generation Adidas don't count as part of your roster but are usually on fairly big deals given their young status in the league. Salary cap should take care of itself unless you flood your team with non-DPs on the max wage. Tie up any talented young players to 5 year deals as soon as you can for salary cap purposes and feel free to trade any draft picks. Not sure what it's like on 14 but I've never had anybody I drafter outside outside the first round make my roster.

You're on a Canadian team so that's an advantage already. Raid the Canadian teams outside the MLS for any talent they have, because you can get without drafting them. Also, keep an eye on players getting Canadian citizenship because it only takes 3 years and conveniently frees up a foreign slot!

Be under the salary cap, which means you're going to have to unregister £2k p/w worth of contracts and then that player will be released.

Be under the salary cap, which means you're going to have to unregister £2k p/w worth of contracts and then that player will be released.

Yeah, that's the weird part. I try to unregister players, but it still won't make me cap compliant. It changes nothing. Releasing/waiving players doesn't change a thing either.

Right now i'm literally stuck unless I holiday every time a registration must be made.

Yeah, that's the weird part. I try to unregister players, but it still won't make me cap compliant. It changes nothing. Releasing/waiving players doesn't change a thing either.

Right now i'm literally stuck unless I holiday every time a registration must be made.

I believe some players are cap exempt? I'm not sure what the criteria is for it, but that might be why if you're trying to get rid of dead weight youth players or something

Basically, this. Some players might not count towards the cap. With the MLS, you gotta be real careful with signing dudes if they aren't DPs, because you can go over that cap real easy. For example, I had to get rid of Julio Cesar with TFC because of some signings. It worked out in the end, but them's the ropes. It's a lot of trading and building guys up and making their kinda limited skillsets work for you.

As suggested, I'd go all out and raid Canadian teams and build up your academy. I've also found that pace, in the MLS, REALLY can make a huge difference. Skill is good, but pacy wingers in the MLS can really excel just because of the level of play. Using a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 with TFC, I've got guys like Osorio going and playing well above their skill level—like, I know he's good, but he's killed it so far. And even though he's not a winger, I've even got Matias Laba going. It's a shame TFC had to move him in real life, because he's been awesome for me. Montreal is a team that can play a possession game, and I'd go with it for them until you can build up a few guys on the wing/home grown guys.

I dunno what his stats are like in FM, but I'd try to get Santiago Gonzalez going, and I'd honestly try to trade Di Vaio for a younger striker. Montreal has the skill to lose a guy like him to a younger player who might not be as good now and they'll still be fine.