Football Manager 2014

Dan

Works well in my United game and took me to a third place Bundesliga finish and cup win with Hoffenheim before I accidentally saved over my game :(

3 file rolling autosave is god.

QFT

I use(d) this 5-3-2

6e92564f5ad4b5329c4d130572083875.png

I didn't have Guidetti/Seto/Propper/Hildebrand last season, yet I scored a lot more and my strikers were non-stop producing.

This season with better players (Clasie, Janmaat left) I can't score at all with the tactic and I lose bullshit games through bullshit means.

The two CWB's are just pure pure effort and they run around the entire length of the pitch for 90 minutes, so they really need great stamina and work rate.

Also, if you have Takayuki Seto in the database, get him because he's phenomenal.

My beloved Anchor formation! This was next-level for me in FM 2012 and my Atletico Madrid team. Ah, memories.

I play that, though the ball playing defender makes little difference. Attacking, fluid, short passing, high tempo.

Works well in my United game and took me to a third place Bundesliga finish and cup win with Hoffenheim before I accidentally saved over my game :(

Not had great success with it in really low leagues - probably not wise asking pub footballers to play a high tempo passing game.

If you gave your DM a free role he would be Roaming Polanski

kbtV8zN.gif

I love ducks

• Like 2

Second season with Vancouver Whitecaps is going rather well. We've been top of the Western Conference, or there abouts, most of the season. Taufic Guarch has improved greatly since his first season. Rob Friend is capable of knocking in the odd goal, Konchesky, Olave, Borchers and Alston are a proving a good back four. I've yet to discover a worthwhile secondary formation and am mostly playing 4-5-1.

Although Gershion Koffie wants away which would ruin my Jenas/Laba/Koffie midfield.

Finished off yesterday with a shocking 4-2 home defeat against Norwich, with the conceded goals including 2 pens and a headed goal from a corner. Still, not good enough.

Started today, and dominated Stoke away, but lost 1-0. It was time for a tactical re-think.

Beat Austria Vienna in the CL 5-1, and I now need to beat Leverkusen in the final group game to qualify for the last 16.

Built on that with a 3-1 win over Sunderland, with Herrera scoring twice, and I completed a decent session by beating Liverpool 2-1 at OT, with RVP scoring twice. 6pts off Chelsea, but I'm joint 2nd. Got Rooney coming back from injury shortly with Leverkusen, Villa, Chelsea, City and Arsenal coming up to complete the first half of the season.

So I deliver Feyenoord their second league title in 2 seasons, and I also bring in the KNVB beker whilst also getting through the CL group stages.

I ask for a fair contract renegotiation... And they decide to fire me.

Well, I also kinda leaked it to the press but that's not the issue. Clearly they have no idea what they just threw away.

ill make my own team, with blackjack and hookers!

You know what, forget the blackjack!

Does it matter what you earn as a manager though? Does it affect anything? Always wondered.

Pure bragging rights.

Edit: And in job news. Shakhtar offered me a contract and 60M euros and 2M euros a month to splurge on players for a run to own the league and the Europa League.

First time I really got an open coffer to play with, so I'm probably going to go mad and sign a buttload of big names.

Any suggestions? I'm in season 3, and I got a load of leagues running.

Decided to go coo-coo nutters and sign a buttload of players. Among them some known names like Cristian Zapata, Ezequiel Munoz, Andrea Barzagli and Fabricio Coloccini to bolster my defense multifold. Andrea and Fabricio are older players, but will no doubt come in handy during the tough schedule...

Also, the board demanded that I would sign a big big name. So I decided to give them what they want, and so I signed Wesley Sneijder for a retarded 25 million euros, giving the board and fans their huge name, and giving me a midfielder that can bring me titles... at least until Sneijder drops off the map, he's 31 now so he at least had 3-4 years left in him where he can anchor the middle and tutor players.

And then blew a massive chunk of the remaining budget on young Ukrainian players from around the league, to make sure I can sate that 7-4 rule they have in place. 4 Ukes in the starting lineup, and the bench filled with Brazilians/Italians/Frenchies and an Argentinian.

At any other team I wouldn't be so idiotic with my financial spending, but it's Shakhtar and I don't really give a crap of making them a project. I am looking for a 2-3 year stay and just buy every title possible.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Drew 0-0 with Leverkusen, meaning I went out of the CL. Booo. Got Gala in the Europa.

Buuut, during the busy Xmas schedule, I've beat Villa 3-0, and then won 4-2 at The Etihad courtesy of an RVP hat trick. Which came in handy as Chelsea won earlier in the day to momentarily go nine clear.

Very next game, Chelsea had a 1-0 lead over me through Pedro, but RVP and Nani struck late to snatch a 2-1 win and cut the gap to just three. Lovely.

Definitely need to get more strength in depth. My target for this season was to get a CL place as all money was used on getting the side to look as it is IRL. On track for that anyway.

Take it to the cube!

Incidentally, I really can't get into FM 14, I just don't like the feel of it. Started up a new game on 13 though as a journeyman, ended up at an underachieving FC Zurich. My predecessor sold two of the three players that are actually good enough for top divisions and I had no choice but to sell the third in the January window, getting £1.5 million for him. Things are looking up though, should hopefully secure European football at the end of this first season.

Penalties are bugged, you will never, ever see a penalty miss the target and very few saved.

I've seen a couple missed in a shootout.

Penalties are bugged, you will never, ever see a penalty miss the target and very few saved.

Actually missed the goal? As in wide, over or hit the woodwork?

Not if you're using the latest patch you haven't.

Actually missed the goal? As in wide, over or hit the woodwork?

Not if you're using the latest patch you haven't.

Might've been before the patch, but I've definitely seen some go off-target.

Managed to turn things round. Was sitting 14th mid season, and finished 4th, one point off promotion. Played 3rd place in the last game of the season, but we drew. Probably a good thing, because I don't think my team is ready for Ligue 1. We're in a horrible amount of debt, though. Will have to sell one of my promising youngsters and I also have to hope big players don't wanna leave. Also, moved Tom Ince up front and he was brilliant.

Just over halfway through the season now, and level on pts with Chelsea at the top. Honestly thought I'd ballsed things up after a 3-2 loss at Swansea (my first in about 12), but Chelsea lost at home against Liverpool to keep it level. There's a bit of a gap developing between us and the chasing pack (City and Spurs).

Wasn't able to do anything in the Jan window, but didn't mind too much. Got backup in every position except CB. I'll use some of next seasons budget on a young player if possible. Rio will be leaving on a free transfer.

What this season has done though, is given me a chance to give unlikely starts to some youngsters. Andreas Pereira (my young Belgian midfielder), and even Will Keane came on against Arsenal after 20mins because of an injury.

Talking of Belgians, Januzaj has been awesome for me. 11 goals so far, and in some big games too.

RVP either has a worldy, or is completely absent. There's never an in between. He's top scorer though, and has bagged two hat tricks.

Still got the Europa League tie against Gala to come, but I am in the 5th Rd of the FA Cup. A comfy 3-0 win over Burnley, and then an amazing 2-1 win at The Eithad (2nd win there this season!) sets up a home game with Nottm Forest.

I've unlocked a few of the trophies too, which is a bonus!

Menez has his contract up at the end of the season, but I've used my transfer budget and I'm over my wage budget too, so it's not going to happen. :(

Maybe I could try leaving it to the DOF, although if I add him to transfer targets, he'll probably attempt to buy him and ultimately fail.

I'll be waaay under the wage budget next season anyway - Giggs and Ferdinand retiring/leaving at the end of the first will help in that regard straight away.

On this one though, I simply can't get rid of Ashley Young.

One bummer is that in August, Barca bid 25m for Rafael. I only have Montoya and Rafael as RB's (Jones can cover but he's my starting CB with Garay), so I rejected it. Now, Van Der Wiel is available for loan and for cheap transfer, but I couldn't afford him.

Nani is another I COULD get rid of, but he always seems to do well for me. Better than Valencia anyway. Was hoping Menez could make that position his own, but nooope.

Menez has his contract up at the end of the season, but I've used my transfer budget and I'm over my wage budget too, so it's not going to happen. :(

Maybe I could try leaving it to the DOF, although if I add him to transfer targets, he'll probably attempt to buy him and ultimately fail.

I'll be waaay under the wage budget next season anyway - Giggs and Ferdinand retiring/leaving at the end of the first will help in that regard straight away.

On this one though, I simply can't get rid of Ashley Young.

One bummer is that in August, Barca bid 25m for Rafael. I only have Montoya and Rafael as RB's (Jones can cover but he's my starting CB with Garay), so I rejected it. Now, Van Der Wiel is available for loan and for cheap transfer, but I couldn't afford him.

Nani is another I COULD get rid of, but he always seems to do well for me. Better than Valencia anyway. Was hoping Menez could make that position his own, but nooope.

Can't you select "end of contract" under transfer targets?