NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

ESPN reporting Lebron wants a max deal. Does this kind of screw up the plan for all 3 returning with Miami?

If Wade takes a paycut, it effectively just lets James & Wade swap places salary-wise.

I still think teams are going to throw similar money at Wade, Bosh & James. All three could get max money from any team they flirted with. Wade's likely to stay at a reduced rate, James may come back with the max deal, but I can't see Bosh sticking around.

I think at this point Wade would need to take a paycut, I can't see there being massive interest. He seems to have broken down.

Edit. Woj (who seemingly has all the insider info on everything) is reporting that the coach role for Kidd is smoke and mirrors and it's just a matter of time until he has full control.

Edited by Quom

Rumor is that the Pistons have shown some interest in Lance Stephenson, probably nothing will come of it, but I would welcome it if it happened.

Pistons also are interested in Isiah Thomas. This would be unprecedented due to Zeke not having played in over twenty years.

Oh wait, they mean the guy from Sacramento, that works to. :P

Wade, his contract is up and he might be willing to take something reasonable. Plus I think he's aware that he's breaking down and would take a pay cut and play a reduced role and sit games. Kobe is going to think he's basketball Jesus and worth all the money until he's 90. Plus Kobe is notoriously competitive and prickly, Wade has shown he's cool being the second or third option, I think Kobe will always think he's the man that deserves the ball.

Edited by Quom

And Kyrie Irving has agreed to a max extension, which is good. I mean Dan Gilbert is a douche, but it'd be shitty for the fans to lose two stars back-to-back.

Wade, his contract is up and he might be willing to take something reasonable. Plus I think he's aware that he's breaking down and would take a pay cut and play a reduced role and sit games. Kobe is going to think he's basketball Jesus and worth all the money until he's 90. Plus Kobe is notoriously competitive and prickly, Wade has shown he's cool being the second or third option, I think Kobe will always think he's the man that deserves the ball.

I meant pretty purely as a player, obviously Kobe has the worse contact, though the reasons for it make sense.

My argument is that Kobe will be more effective because he's already tailored his game to diminishing athleticism, something Wade has suffered with, and I don't agree that his competitiveness is a negative.

If contracts don't come into it then the discussion makes no sense. The entire league is based around your value unless you are one of the handful of players more valuable than the max you are receiving. But based on what you're saying I'm unsure, I really think Kobe will struggle being the second option, let alone spending more time on the bench or missing games. I think Kobe will die with the mentality that the ball belongs in his hands. Whereas Wade has already played second fiddle.

I agree with Quom. Kobe's the second greatest player I've ever watch play, but his competitiveness would be a hindrance because he'd be taking a backseat to somebody many already perceive as a better player than he is. It's why he and Shaq always butted heads, when he was playing second fiddle to him.

Kobe should have done the smart thing and retired a couple of years ago.