2014 NFL Season

Dan

This week's UK TV Schedule

Friday

0130 - Dallas Cowboys at Chicago Bears (Sky Sports)

Sunday

1800 - Indianapolis Colts at Cleveland Browns (Sky Sports)

2125 - Seattle Seahawks at Philadelphia Eagles (Sky Sports)

Monday

0130 - New England Patriots at San Diego Chargers (Channel 4)

Tuesday

0130 - Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers (EuroSport)

• Like 1

The pressure is going to be crazy on Hoyer this week. Unless he plays very well, he's getting pulled and won't be seen in a Browns uniform again.

The time was right to put Manziel in. He's had 12 games to watch and learn, they need wins badly and nobody has any tape on him. It'd be chaotic, in a good way if they put him in.

That's the thing - I see both sides of it. One side: Hoyer's got the Browns in the playoff hunt in December. On the other hand, Manziel was a first round pick with, I'd say, better upside than Hoyer.

One side effect of this being a passing league lately: You need a guy that can win you game, and can't really coast on defense/running backs anymore. The days of a Dilfer-type winning the Super Bowl may be over with how many great QBs are around these days. It's a shame because I like seeing guys like Hoyer and Alex Smith win, but you need a franchise more than ever.

They don't need to run before they can walk. Alright, Manziel did well in his cameo this week but if they chuck him in immediately now and he tanks then it sets him back and they look stupid for doing so. I think it'd be a bit unfair on Hoyer to drop him now, plus the frenzy surrounding Johnny Football before the season started could easily kick in again now if they don't manage the situation properly.

If Cleveland puts Manziel in while they're in the thick of a playoff race and he fucks up that's going to do more harm to him longterm than letting Hoyer ride this out. It's a tough spot to be in, and Hoyer has been horrible the last two weeks, but if you're seeing in practice that Manziel might not be ready a 7-5 team a few dominoes away from the playoffs is not the place to get that confirmed.

To play Devil's advocate, Hoyer has been downright terrible lately, though, with 0-5 TD:INT ratio over the past 3 games. I can see why they're playing it safe and it seems to be what the locker room wants so fair game, but I doubt he can match Luck and the Colts offensively in a must-win game. You might be using Manziel too soon sure, but he could also provide enough of a spark to keep the game close.

They're really damned either way. Hoyer chokes and they'll be blamed for being to gun-shy. Manziel flops and they were too trigger-happy. For the purposes of Josh Gordon in fantasy, though, I'm glad Hoyer is starting.

The ideal for the Browns has to be finishing with a winning record (I don't think they'll make the playoffs but will finish +.500), trading Hoyer away for a relatively high draft pick and then getting to start Manziel next season with something positive to build on that isn't Josh Gordon's piss test.

• Like 1

The ideal for the Browns has to be finishing with a winning record (I don't think they'll make the playoffs but will finish +.500), trading Hoyer away for a relatively high draft pick and then getting to start Manziel next season with something positive to build on that isn't Josh Gordon's piss test.

Isn't Hoyer a free agent next season anyway? Regardless, he's not in Cleveland next year, they're not getting much for him and that job is Johnny's, no matter what.

Hoyer should do okay on the FA market. There's plenty of teams that'll take him to be one of the best back ups in the league, and others (Jets? Bills?) may even consider him for the starting role until they find their 'franchise' QB.

Isn't Hoyer a free agent next season anyway? Regardless, he's not in Cleveland next year, they're not getting much for him and that job is Johnny's, no matter what.

Ah yeah, I had completely forgotten that.