2014 NFL Season

Dan

That story is total bs because you know as well as I do that Josh McCown isn't playing for a team this year.

I'll just leave this here <_< .

If DMN thinks I was taking a cheap shot at the Raiders with that `Raideds' comment, I'm sorry. What I really meant is that its just sad to see what the team has become. I believe most people expected them to get better, not worse, after Al Davis died.

And after all the stuff that's come out lately, especially from Janay Rice, Roger Goodell needs to go. Its clear that he lied, and the fact that he hasn't punished the Ravens for essentially making her apologize for being the victim really shows that he's a scumbag. Fuck Goodell and fuck the Ravens.

So I'm pretty torn on the Hoyer/Manziel situation. First thing first is that Hoyer will obviously always be fighting for a job, no matter where he is. He obviously doesn't have the "superstar" appeal that someone like Johnny Manziel does, and rightfully so.

In defense of Hoyer, he clearly didn't play well in Buffalo this past week, but one could attribute his first interception to a miscommunication with a receiver who is only playing his second game of the season and is bound to run into miscommunication with. And to blame Hoyer for the mistake is being naive just because of the way Gordon reacted right after. Gordon is an emotional guy and in the moment would probably think he was the one who was right and Hoyer was wrong, while he could have easily gone to the sideline and have been informed of his mistake. With 12 games under Hoyer's belt, I'd put my money on Gordon making that mistake as opposed to the guy who has been running the offense all season. His second interception was definitely his fault, but at some point you have to take some risks instead of throwing to the check down guy when the coverage is tough. To be fair the play call for a play action pass, the kind of play Cleveland has been relying on all season in terms of big yard gains. They just got caught with it this time and you can't expect to beat the D every play. At that point the the Bills were up 17-3 only because of making some offensive adjustments during halftime to get a few yards out of the goal line after catching a pass interference call against Haden, and then scoring their second touchdown off a fumble by West which is no one's fault but Terrence West's.

So then you throw Manziel in, who's adrenaline is pumping more than anyone else on that field. Watching his highlights, Manziel is alllllll over the place, and not necessarily in the a good way. Cleveland offensive line isn't too impressive, and has been missing Alex Mack greatly, so having a mobile quarterback is beneficial given the circumstances. Buffalo's defensive line is also one of the best in the league, but definitely had to take a few plays to adjust to the fact that they were now facing an extremely mobile quarterback. Out of all eight of his dropbacks, Manziel stayed in the pocket only two times. He was throwing over his shoulder way too much and left himself very exposed to Buffalo's defensive linemen. Sure he can get away with that for one drive like he did on his first one, but after he develops enough film for defenses to analyze, and misreads a blitz or two, he is going to be very susceptible to taking major hits and facing serious pressure. He only made two legitimate passes that weren't check downs, and the 24-yard gainer to Jim Dray could have easily been intercepted just like Hoyer's triple coverage interception was. Follow that up with his second drive where he loses the snap and looks like he has no control over what is going on, it's tough to really say whether Manziel is ready to start next week.

The NFL is obviously a win-now league like never before, but when you are in an opportunity to find yourself in second place in the division with only four weeks left, you can't just throw in your rookie quarterback hoping he will score touchdowns on his first two drives and lead your team back from down two touchdowns. If you really wanted to do that, you would leave in the guy who has been as clutch as they come for most of the season in Brian Hoyer, instead of affirming your lack of confidence in him for the rest of his career with the team. It's obvious that the organization doesn't have any faith in Hoyer long-term, and quite frankly, I don't even know if I have faith. But if you think Manziel gives you a better chance to win this late in the season, I'd say you're being foolish.

Edited by OGpistolpete
  • Like 1