2014 NFL Season

Dan

Yeah, that's a fine return. Player's value deteriorates rapidly.

Idiot of the month: Ray McDonald of the 49ers, who was arrested for felony domestic violence, just 3 days after the new rules were put in place.

Yeah, I'm not arguing it's a bad trade, it is a fair return because Mallett turned out to be nothing special, at least so far. I'm just noting it didn't turn into a Matt Cassel type return. I don't think anyone invests a 3rd rounder to flip it for a 6th 3 years later, so it wasn't ideal.

New England kept him on the roster just to trade him. Good on them. Better to get a draft pick out of it than nothing.

Whoever the guy was that was jerking off to Mallett earlier in this thread should realize that he just got passed over by a rookie quarterback that has had the playbook for maybe three months now.

Maybe, but the rookie IS very pretty. Apparently.

Idiot of the month: Ray McDonald of the 49ers, who was arrested for felony domestic violence, just 3 days after the new rules were put in place.

The 49ers D is going to suck this year. And the offence isn't looking much better.

Yeah, I'm not arguing it's a bad trade, it is a fair return because Mallett turned out to be nothing special, at least so far. I'm just noting it didn't turn into a Matt Cassel type return. I don't think anyone invests a 3rd rounder to flip it for a 6th 3 years later, so it wasn't ideal.

To be fair, Cassel did actually play a whole season for the Pats, Mallet has done fuck all at the NFL level.

After saying they'd be interested in bringing him back, the Rams are not re-signing Michael Sam to their practice squad as they're just stacked with D-line depth and want to use the spots elsewhere.

Not every team has filled its practice squad yet, so there is still hope. But it's starting to look increasingly bleak that he'll have a job at all. I'm not of the belief that he should be gifted a job because of his situation...but between being the SEC Defensive Player of the Year and after the preseason he had, how the fuck is he not good enough to even be one of the 320 practice squad players in the league? The Rams have an excuse. Can't say the same about some of the other teams who have a lot less depth defensively.

It's not like the NFL can do anything in this situation, I doubt Sam would want the NFL to force a team to sign him or anything...but there's clearly a problem here and the league can expect to get slammed for it.

After saying they'd be interested in bringing him back, the Rams are not re-signing Michael Sam to their practice squad as they're just stacked with D-line depth and want to use the spots elsewhere.

Not every team has filled its practice squad yet, so there is still hope. But it's starting to look increasingly bleak that he'll have a job at all. I'm not of the belief that he should be gifted a job because of his situation...but between being the SEC Defensive Player of the Year and after the preseason he had, how the fuck is he not good enough to even be one of the 320 practice squad players in the league? The Rams have an excuse. Can't say the same about some of the other teams who have a lot less depth defensively.

It's not like the NFL can do anything in this situation, I doubt Sam would want the NFL to force a team to sign him or anything...but there's clearly a problem here and the league can expect to get slammed for it.

Would it really be a story if any other 7th round pick didn't make a practice squad?

If teams don't want him on their team, I'd imagine it's because of the huge attention and distractions he'd bring from media attention. I think he signed his own death warrant in that regard when he tried to bring a reality TV crew along for the ride.

Would it really be a story if any other 7th round pick didn't make a practice squad?

It's because he's gay that he wasn't a 3rd or 4th round pick, in the first place, in my opinion. He's not a 7th round talent.

• Like 1

The 49ers D is going to suck this year. And the offence isn't looking much better.

Nah the D will be fine. Vic Fangio is by far the best coordinator in the league. It's kind of baffling he hasn't gotten a head coaching gig yet.

The offense does need to step up, though.

If Michael Sam was straight or in the closet, he'd have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder, at worse. I can't blame the Rams for not signing him to the team or the practice squad - though I'm sure ESPN will, since he sacked Johnny Football twice - but if no team signs him, whether its to their roster or practice squad, it will speak volumes about the NFL.

Personally, I'd love to see the Cowboys or Titans sign him.