2016 NFL Season

Schlitzbrille

The Hall of Fame Committee has whittled the list of Finalists down to the final 15:  Morten Andersen, Tony Boselli, Isaac Bruce, Don Coryell, Terrell Davis, Brian Dawkins, Alan Faneca, Joe Jacoby, Ty Law, Kevin Mawae, Terrell Owens, Jason Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Kurt Warner.  Five of them will be elected this year, along with the likely inductions of two Contributor Finalists (Jerry Jones and Paul Tagliabue) and the Senior Finalist (Kenny Easley).

Last year I went 8-for-8 in my predictions and things seemed clear cut based on how long certain guys were waiting.  This year I'm not so sure.  I'm confident in Jones, Tagliabue, Easley, and Tomlinson.  But the other four modern era picks can go in so many directions.

Jacoby was reportedly the "last man out" in the voting debate last year, so I'll pencil him in for a spot this year.  Dawkins was better than Lynch, but safeties often need to wait a while and Lynch is riding the momentum from two jersey retirements this year so I'll put Lynch in too.  On the flipside, I can see Owens going in over Bruce because he was clearly better and the committee got a lot of flak last year for not putting Owens in first ballot.

That leaves one spot.  I really really really want Don Coryell to go in.  But despite being a finalist a few times now, it sounds like some voters just really struggle with the idea of enshrining a coach who never won a championship.  I don't agree with that logic, but based on that I think the last spot will go to Kurt Warner as the Greatest Show on Turf continues to get new inductees with Bruce and Holt still on the docket for future years.

Kenny Easley
Joe Jacoby
Jerry Jones
John Lynch
Terrell Owens
Paul Tagliabue
LaDainian Tomlinson
Kurt Warner

But again any of the Modern finalists except for Tomlinson are up for debate.  Again I really hope I'm wrong on Coryell.  If he can't get in because of not winning a title they need to just move coaches to the Contributor category, because he truly made massive contributions to the game.  Every team still utilizes elements of his offense.

13 hours ago, #BROKEN Busch said:

The Hall of Fame Committee has whittled the list of Finalists down to the final 15:  Morten Andersen, Tony Boselli, Isaac Bruce, Don Coryell, Terrell Davis, Brian Dawkins, Alan Faneca, Joe Jacoby, Ty Law, Kevin Mawae, Terrell Owens, Jason Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Kurt Warner.  Five of them will be elected this year, along with the likely inductions of two Contributor Finalists (Jerry Jones and Paul Tagliabue) and the Senior Finalist (Kenny Easley).

Last year I went 8-for-8 in my predictions and things seemed clear cut based on how long certain guys were waiting.  This year I'm not so sure.  I'm confident in Jones, Tagliabue, Easley, and Tomlinson.  But the other four modern era picks can go in so many directions.

Jacoby was reportedly the "last man out" in the voting debate last year, so I'll pencil him in for a spot this year.  Dawkins was better than Lynch, but safeties often need to wait a while and Lynch is riding the momentum from two jersey retirements this year so I'll put Lynch in too.  On the flipside, I can see Owens going in over Bruce because he was clearly better and the committee got a lot of flak last year for not putting Owens in first ballot.

That leaves one spot.  I really really really want Don Coryell to go in.  But despite being a finalist a few times now, it sounds like some voters just really struggle with the idea of enshrining a coach who never won a championship.  I don't agree with that logic, but based on that I think the last spot will go to Kurt Warner as the Greatest Show on Turf continues to get new inductees with Bruce and Holt still on the docket for future years.

Kenny Easley
Joe Jacoby
Jerry Jones
John Lynch
Terrell Owens
Paul Tagliabue
LaDainian Tomlinson
Kurt Warner

But again any of the Modern finalists except for Tomlinson are up for debate.  Again I really hope I'm wrong on Coryell.  If he can't get in because of not winning a title they need to just move coaches to the Contributor category, because he truly made massive contributions to the game.  Every team still utilizes elements of his offense.

If Joe Jacoby doesn't get in this year and Terrell Owens doesn't get in this year or the next, I'm calling bullshit. 

Don Coryell might eventually get in, but in a year when the list of nominees is lean. If he gets in this year, I'm really calling bullshit.

4 hours ago, Lineker said:

Tennessee will have new uniforms from 2018.

Eight teams eligible for mandatory Hard Knocks inclusion: Bears, Buccaneers, Browns, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Saints and Titans.

I could see the league going for the Buccs. They actually had a good record last year, only missing the play-offs on tie-breakers. Entertaining young QB with loads of potential, a star young WR and a potentially good running game.

1 minute ago, VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire said:

Caldwell will be back for the 17 season, last year of his contract.

Makes sense to me. While he's still a little on the cautious side (play calling wise) he has improved. He's also got us to the play-offs without Megatron, something many didn't think possible so soon. It's also worth remembering that we had a couple of early season duff games (Titans, Bears) that we should have probably won. With those, that would have been 11 wins, the division and a bye.

Regardless of how this season ends, it's better than I expected and I hope we can build on it with a good draft. We still have a waifer thin roster, top-talent wise, and we need to add some depth. Also, if Rudock has shown enough promise, I think I'd prefer us to dump Orlovsky and have him riding the bench as #2, freeing up a roster spot where we are in more need of depth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lineker said:

Tennessee will have new uniforms from 2018.

Eight teams eligible for mandatory Hard Knocks inclusion: Bears, Buccaneers, Browns, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Saints and Titans.

If they don't go with the Bucs, I think the Eagles would be a good team to follow in the offseason/pre-season. Given that Wentz was handed the keys to the team last year, trying to build the offense around him, draft being held in Philly and such. Saints being another option if Payton stays or if he gets traded, Brees last year or two there, etc. Browns, Bears, Ravens and Titans don't really have any juice behind them.

I suppose the Titans could somewhat cover Mariota's return from injury.

53 minutes ago, DFF said:

Makes sense to me. While he's still a little on the cautious side (play calling wise) he has improved. He's also got us to the play-offs without Megatron, something many didn't think possible so soon. It's also worth remembering that we had a couple of early season duff games (Titans, Bears) that we should have probably won. With those, that would have been 11 wins, the division and a bye.

Regardless of how this season ends, it's better than I expected and I hope we can build on it with a good draft. We still have a waifer thin roster, top-talent wise, and we need to add some depth. Also, if Rudock has shown enough promise, I think I'd prefer us to dump Orlovsky and have him riding the bench as #2, freeing up a roster spot where we are in more need of depth.

Agreed on everything. Not a huge Caldwell fan but it's probably slim pickings on coaches this year anyway.

The best move is to really invest in our defense. We have a few pieces but not nearly enough. Might need to consider a running back and an olineman or two (Reiff and Warford are free agents, not sure the severity of Swansons injury). 

I may even look at a QB to develop if the right guy falls in the 3rd-5th round.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire said:

Agreed on everything. Not a huge Caldwell fan but it's probably slim pickings on coaches this year anyway.

The best move is to really invest in our defense. We have a few pieces but not nearly enough. Might need to consider a running back and an olineman or two (Reiff and Warford are free agents, not sure the severity of Swansons injury). 

I may even look at a QB to develop if the right guy falls in the 3rd-5th round.

Have you seen Matt Miller's 7 round mock?

The Lions picks:

Spoiler

DE Taco Charlton
CB Cordrea Tankersley
RB Jeremy McNichols
WR Artavis Scott
DL Larry Ogunjobi
DE Lewis Neal

According to Sportrac, this is our list of impending Free Agents:

Spoiler

Joique Bell RB 
Anquan Boldin WR
Jon Bostic ILB
Armonty Bryant OLB
Rafael Bush FS
Crezdon Butler CB 
Josh Bynes OLB
Stefan Charles DT
Clay Harbor TE 
Asa Jackson CB 
Don Muhlbach LS 
Matthew Mulligan TE 
Dan Orlovsky QB
Riley Reiff LT
Garrett Reynolds G
Andre Roberts WR 
Devin Taylor DE
Tyrunn Walker DT 
Larry Warford G 
Tim Wright TE

I definitely want to see Boldin back, and Roberts has been good in the return game. Orlovsky should go.

I'm convinced that if you gave each offense two balls and let both their quarterbacks play at the same time, Oakland/Houston is still unwatchable. I wish Carr was healthy, I was going to bet so many dollars on the Raiders :(

7 minutes ago, Plubby said:

I'm convinced that if you gave each offense two balls and let both their quarterbacks play at the same time, Oakland/Houston is still unwatchable. I wish Carr was healthy, I was going to bet so many dollars on the Raiders :(

Well yeah, that would still involve Osweiler being on the field.

1 hour ago, DFF said:

Have you seen Matt Miller's 7 round mock?

The Lions picks:

Hide contents

DE Taco Charlton
CB Cordrea Tankersley
RB Jeremy McNichols
WR Artavis Scott
DL Larry Ogunjobi
DE Lewis Neal

According to Sportrac, this is our list of impending Free Agents:

Hide contents

Joique Bell RB 
Anquan Boldin WR
Jon Bostic ILB
Armonty Bryant OLB
Rafael Bush FS
Crezdon Butler CB 
Josh Bynes OLB
Stefan Charles DT
Clay Harbor TE 
Asa Jackson CB 
Don Muhlbach LS 
Matthew Mulligan TE 
Dan Orlovsky QB
Riley Reiff LT
Garrett Reynolds G
Andre Roberts WR 
Devin Taylor DE
Tyrunn Walker DT 
Larry Warford G 
Tim Wright TE

I definitely want to see Boldin back, and Roberts has been good in the return game. Orlovsky should go.

Yeah, Boldin, Bynes, Warford, Bush, and Bryant for me. Devin Taylor if he is cheap. 

Really wouldn't overpay for any of them.

3 hours ago, VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire said:

Yeah, Boldin, Bynes, Warford, Bush, and Bryant for me. Devin Taylor if he is cheap. 

Really wouldn't overpay for any of them.

Bleacher have Reiff as the highest rated Tackle available in free agency, I'd be happy for us to pay a bit more to keep him.