2016 NFL Season

Schlitzbrille

6 hours ago, Meacon said:

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/ngenz

I can't figure out how to embed Tweets or even how to get this video to load. But it's Mike Mitchell of the Steelers after he was facemasked, but was called for facemasking. His girly squeal is hilarious.

It took me forever to figure it out too. Click on the "..." next to the like icon, "Copy Link To Tweet" and then just paste that link here. The board will format it as a tweet.

edit, Schefter was right on time with this gem:

Edited by munky

David Johnson has an MCL sprain and doesn't need surgery so it's not as bad as first feared, thankfully.

Cards' OC Harold Goodwin is interviewing for the HC job at Buffalo, LA and Jacksonville. Unless he leaves, no coaching changes in Arizona this off-season. Arians said he'll franchise tag Chandler Jones if he doesn't agree to a new deal as well.

Predicting this week's game's Confidence Pool style:

4 points - Seattle over Detroit. Seattle have taken a step back this year and have looked especially spotty the past couple of weeks, but Detroit completely backed in to a playoff spot and just put up an absolute clunker in their biggest home game in years to deny their fans a home playoff game. Even with Seattle playing pretty badly, that's a really tough place to go in and win. I think Seattle will struggle to get out of the second round but I do think they'll win here.

3 points - Pittsburgh over Miami. I can't wrap my head around the Dolphins being a 10 win team...I know Jay Ajayi broke out in a big way but that they didn't even really seem to lose a step when Tannehill went down is impressive. Having said that, just like Seattle it's hard to go in to Pittsburgh this time of year and pull out a W. The Steelers sat the Killer Bs (Ben, Bell, Brown) this week to rest up and I think the experience edge is going to win out here.

2 points - Green Bay over New York. As I've said, I don't feel all that good about this matchup for the Giants. Even if the Giants can slow up Rodgers, he's probably going to put up a minimum of 20 points and I just haven't seen enough from the Giants to safely think they'll get 21+. If the Giants are going to win, the offense will need to hold up their end of the bargain and exploit Green Bay's depleted secondary. They can win, but Green Bay is always the safer pick with Rodgers playing the way he is.

1 point - Oakland over Houston. It's the worst game of the weekend (and one ESPN will reportedly lose as much as $75 million on), but it's also the hardest one to call. In spite of the massive question mark under center, I'm going with Oakland just because it's hard to think the success of a 12-4 team is entirely dependent on one player, even if it is the quarterback. It won't be high scoring, but I think Oakland will put up a couple of scores and the Texans who have been horrible offensively all season are just going to have a tough time putting up points at all. This is a coin flip game but the winner is merely going to be a sacrificial lamb for New England next week.

50 minutes ago, Alex. said:

Theyve beaten Rodgers at Lambeau before

No offense to you or anything but this seems to be the immediate sentiment of a bunch of fans and it's also the angle the media is taking and I don't really understand it.  It just feels like a lazy narrative.

First of all they just lost in Lambeau earlier this year.  But itheir last playoff meeting was five years ago.  That's an eternity in terms of NFL roster turnover.  The Giants have only five players left from that team - two core special teamers (Herzlich and DeOssie), a WR who after injuries is unfortunately a shell of his former self (Cruz), a pass rusher who won't factor into the game (JPP), and of course Eli.

The keys of victory are the same as 2011, but it's the same keys every team has for every game - contain the QB and don't turn the ball over.  The Giants CAN win, but 2011 will have nothing to do with it if they do.

The thing is, I think New York could have gone to Seattle and beaten them. But the way Green Bay has been playing leads me to think they're likely Super Bowl bound. In other words, if New York had been matched up with any other team in the NFC playoffs, I'd probably pick them thanks to the defense. But at Green Bay, the run the Packers are on, and just Aaron Rodgers in general leads me to think the G-Men are likely done after this weekend.

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

The thing is, I think New York could have gone to Seattle and beaten them. But the way Green Bay has been playing leads me to think they're likely Super Bowl bound. In other words, if New York had been matched up with any other team in the NFC playoffs, I'd probably pick them thanks to the defense. But at Green Bay, the run the Packers are on, and just Aaron Rodgers in general leads me to think the G-Men are likely done after this weekend.

I don't disagree. I had Pats/Packers in the Super Bowl before the season and I see no reason to change that pick now.

I'm just hoping for anything other than Pats/Cowboys.  That's the only scenario where I'd root for Brady just like I did in the Pats/Eagles Super Bowl years ago...but I'd feel very dirty doing it.

Well, I'd prefer Cowboys vs. anybody but the Patriots. My worst case scenario is Giants-Patriots, because its not like we need to see Eli vs. Brady again, and I have some friends on Facebook who are Giants fans, but are asshats in the way they support them on there. I'll be for the Patriots, but trying not retch while watching the game if that happens....aww, who am I kidding? I'm not going to watch if we get that matchup.

As for Busch's picks, I agree with all except one: I believe the Texans will beat the Raiders. But only due to the absence of Carr. Won't be at all surprised if the Raiders do win, though.  I'm hoping the Lions and Packers win. The other two games, I don't really care. The Patriots will eat whoever wins Raiders-Texans alive, and whoever wins Steelers-Dolphins will be a non-factor their next game.

I think Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay and Houston win. I like Houston's d vs a back-up better than the Raiders d vs Osweiler, though I think it'll be a low scoring, close game.

The Packers are perfectly placed for a deep run. Their only real concern should be that (right?) corner back position that teams have taken advantage of this year. I suspect the Giants will have OBJ out there a little more than usual to take full advantage.

The Steelers should win, but it also seems like a bit of a trap game.

7 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Well, I'd prefer Cowboys vs. anybody but the Patriots. My worst case scenario is Giants-Patriots, because its not like we need to see Eli vs. Brady again, and I have some friends on Facebook who are Giants fans, but are asshats in the way they support them on there. I'll be for the Patriots, but trying not retch while watching the game if that happens....aww, who am I kidding? I'm not going to watch if we get that matchup.

I would say I'm not going to watch Cowboys/Pats...but I know I'm just kidding myself.  It's the Super Bowl.  Even if it's two teams I hate I feel compelled to watch because it's the last time I'll get to see football until September.  With the exception of the two years when the Giants won, those first couple of weeks without football are a downer for me until pitchers and catchers report.

1 hour ago, #BROKEN Busch said:

I would say I'm not going to watch Cowboys/Pats...but I know I'm just kidding myself.  It's the Super Bowl.  Even if it's two teams I hate I feel compelled to watch because it's the last time I'll get to see football until September.  With the exception of the two years when the Giants won, those first couple of weeks without football are a downer for me until pitchers and catchers report.

Fuck that, I watched your stupid Giants/Patriots Super Bowls.  You tune in damn it.

• Like 2