Football Manager 2017

Lineker

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

Heh. Question of a different nature: form or ability when picking for international squads? World Cup is coming up, but Eric Dier has been dogshit for Spurs for two years, but he's amazing for England.

Pick whoever plays best for England. I'm USA manager and I am picking absolute dregs of regens. 

Things weren't looking great at the start of my second season in the top flight despite a flurry of high level signings including David Ospina on a free and Thibault Courtois in for £7.5m to oust Kasper Schmiechel and leave Andy King as my sole remaining original squad member. We've been solid enough at the back that only the two Manchester clubs have conceded less, but our low scoriing rate leaves a disappointing goal difference. I had presumed that bringing in Adebayor on loan would see him replicate the amazing 21 goals in 35 games for Man City in the season just passed, but just 1 goal in 17 starts saw me do everything in my power to bring Lukaku over from Chelsea as my only January signing, eventually having a £20.5m offer accepted, before shipping Adebayor back to the Etihad. I had to sell 4 first team challengers and loan out 5 squad players just to afford it but the benefits are already showing, and we're only a week into February.

Things are currently looking up as we overtake Everton to grab 7th place and a 1 game advantage. We're still knocking about in the FA Cup and Europe, with a 5th round home tie against West Brom and 1st knockout round Europa League matches against Rangers leaving me confident of progression in both cups. They aren't a priority but do provide valuable match time for Courtois and outfield rotation. Importantly, Lukaku is already on 5 goals in 6 games across all competitions so our goalscoring worries should be over. I'm hoping to at least match last season's final position of 6th before making a challenge for a top 4 spot in the penultimate season to attract even more world class players for that final attempt at the top spot.

Reporter: You are unbeaten in your last seventeen games against Burnley, how do you think you will fare?

A few questions later...

Reporter: It was a while ago but you suffered defeat the last time you played Burnley.

Mate.

11 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I thought you were good at this game. :huh:

I don't take international management seriously :shifty: 

You should have seen the amazing 3 points I got at the World Cup for the good ol' US of A! They were so happy they even named a street after me in San Francisco. 

• 3 weeks later...

My Leicester 13/14 season saw a slightly worse finish in the league; dropping down 2 points and 2 places compared to the season before with 58pts for an 8th place finish. A 2nd consecutive cup run saw us add the FA Cup to the previous season's League Cup and scrape another year in Europe.

Defence and midfield have both been bolstered with Gokhan Gonul, Roland Juhasz, Mario Suarez, Alejandro Bedoya, and Juraj Kucka all signing pre-contracts. I finally also managed to secure Danny Wilson after his Liverpool contract expired. My midfield tactics are also seeing a bit of a shakeup this season, with wider playing options being tested out for the first time after I brought in Vladimir Weiss in on loan from Liverpool and then signed Danny from Chelsea to act as his left-side counterpart, as well as Connor Wickham on loan from Sunderland as an all round backup for the attacking positions and an option to sign him permanently for my final season. Finally, I'm hoping for great things up front having Lukaku from the start of the season after he definitely made a difference from the January transfer window last season.

I'm not expecting to meet the goal of winning the Premier League with just two seasons left to do so, but it seems that adding a different trophy to the cabinet each season so far has been enough to get me noticed by the FA as I just applied for, and was subsequently offered, the England job after Fabio Capello retired. Because of this, I'm extending my run to include Euro 2016, and possibly also the upcoming World Cup just out of curiosity. The pipedream right now would be to capture the Europa League trophy this season, win the Euros with England in 2016, take the Premier League in 2017, and the World Cup in 2018, and the Champion's League in 2018 or 2019 to make it a different trophy each season over eight years.