Football Manager 2017

Lineker

It might be worth buying FM17 now to be honest. If you can pick it up at 80% off, it's worth it. It'll give you the chance to play around with all the new features and such before 18 comes out, making you a little more comfortable with the new game if you decide to get it. 

Also, if you've got 17 on your steam account, then you get a 25% discount on 18 if you pre-order it. 

• Like 1

Eh, the last new release game I bought was GTA V so I doubt I'd get FM18 any time soon. Its only really the 80% discount, plus it fitting my trend of starting with FM07 and then waiting five years to get another one, which is making me consider it. The downside is I'm now so out of touch with modern football that the names wouldn't mean anything to me, so its really only new game features which would be a selling point. Other downsides are being over a decade into my third attempt at a San Marino challenge, and about to finish my fourth season of a British Steel Challenge.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

What was the last major overhaul the series had? I honestly can't think.

When did they introduce the new match engine? Was it 14 or 15? That's probably the last major overhaul or update. 

Just now, Benji said:

The 3D one? That was 2009.

The one where they'd introduced a bunch of new code and that. Having looked it up it appears to be FM15 as there seemed to be loads of defensive cockups on it. 

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

Can't you still use the 2D classic cam? :huh:

You can, but they changed the design of the 2D layout at the same time and it wasn't quite as good, for me. I'm not saying the switch to a 3D engine made me stop playing, it didn't, but I definitely don't think the game has been as good or fun for me since they did bring it in and started focusing on it.

All this is moot anyway. Champ Manager 01/02 will never be beaten, it even shades out FM08 for me although I sunk plenty days/weeks/months of my life into both.

3 minutes ago, Dwight K. Schrute said:

You can, but they changed the design of the 2D layout at the same time and it wasn't quite as good, for me. I'm not saying the switch to a 3D engine made me stop playing, it didn't, but I definitely don't think the game has been as good or fun for me since they did bring it in and started focusing on it.

All this is moot anyway. Champ Manager 01/02 will never be beaten, it even shades out FM08 for me although I sunk plenty days/weeks/months of my life into both.

I've still got my Champ Man 01/02 lying about somewhere. I tried downloading it but it wouldn't work for some reason. 

I remember my mate giving me Championship Manager 3 when I was a kid and I was hooked from there. 

• Like 1

• Admin
Just now, Meacon said:

Is Champ Manager 01/02 by the same guys that do FM? Is it just the simplicity that makes it better? I think I've seen every one of you guys crow about how that was the best one, which seems odd since they've had 15/16 years to do better.

Championship Manager was made jointly by SI and Eidos. They split up; Eidos continued the inferior CM games whilst SI branched off to make Football Manager. 

CM 01/02 was probably the last true great game they made together. 

It was much simpler compared to today but still in-depth and wonderful. No fucking about with agents fees or any of that rubbish, just getting on with building and managing a quality football team.

My dad still has my first desktop from like 2000 and until a couple of years ago I was still playing CM 01/02. Got 22 seasons in working my way up from managing Doncaster in the Conference to winning a league and cup double with West Ham. Magical. 

• Like 2