Football Manager 2017

Lineker

Imagine being able to do a big network game of CM 01/02 with loads of us on the board. I'd love that. Can still probably name all the best players from every Premier League team back then. I dare say if SI made a totally retro CM-style game but with present day players and such it'd go down a storm.

7 minutes ago, Naitch said:

What kinda challenges present themselves on FM17 that aren't generic ones like Pentagon, San Marino, British Steel, etc?

I'm fond of the challenge which involves winning the Club World Championship with Swiss second division side FC Winterthur. This is because it would be redemption for them losing the final of the 1909 Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy, thought to be the first international football tournament (despite there being one a year earlier, and also the Olympics).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Meacon said:

That sounds great. I wish they'd make a simpler/dumbed down version of FM that doesn't involve agent fees and the like. I'm still on FM15, and still trying to get around the finance aspect of it because of all that crap included. 

Oh and CM 01/02 is abandonware/freeware now so you can just go nuts.

26 minutes ago, Naitch said:

What kinda challenges present themselves on FM17 that aren't generic ones like Pentagon, San Marino, British Steel, etc?

Pick a big club and hire the worst director of football you can find and leave all the decisions up to him.

You could try and find one of the lower league mods and try to get Met Police or someone out of the regional divisions.

Speaking of Met, Cardiff Met in the Welsh league are a challenge and a half. Or getting a Gibraltarian team into Europe. 

2 hours ago, Naitch said:

You could do self imposed challenges such as trying to implement money ball for example, having players under a certain age, having a wage cap for players  etc. 

I opted not to go for FM17 in the end but I did just come up with a fun short term FM12 challenge for myself. I'm gonna attempt to replicate Leicester City's Premier League win no later than their real life success. I'm not even entirely sure whether Leicester were in the top flight for the 11/12 season so it should be an interesting one to load up.

2 hours ago, Naitch said:

I opted not to go for FM17 in the end but I did just come up with a fun short term FM12 challenge for myself. I'm gonna attempt to replicate Leicester City's Premier League win no later than their real life success. I'm not even entirely sure whether Leicester were in the top flight for the 11/12 season so it should be an interesting one to load up.

They had two more seasons in the Championship left at that point. 

As I've found.

Just won the first game of the season 2-0 away to Crystal Palace. I'm hoping to grab promotion at the first attempt just to put me on the right track. My first action was to bring in the best possible backroom staff and make sure that my facilities were up for improvement at the end of the first season, both for the long term benefits.

My biggest foray in the transfer market has been £2.1m to bring in Slovenian LB Bojan Jokic to challenge and eventually replace highest earner Paul Konchesky. I also brought in Sean Davis on a season long loan to bolster the midfield but didn't want to fork another £1m for a 31yr old. Missing out on Stephen Kelly to Swansea as a replacement for 30yr old RB John Pantsil was a bit of a set back but I did manage to set up an end of season £500k sale of Aleksander Tunchev to Norwich. Tunchev might also be 30 but he's still my best CB.

Also boosting my midfield ranks are Stoke's Diego Arismendi in on loan, Davide Petrucci on a free from Man Utd, and £575k for Chelsea's Billy Clifford. Arismendi has the option to become permanent if he makes a difference this season but I'm hoping that Petrucci and Clifford can help more in the long term. Perhaps my biggest coup though was bringing in a highly prospective striker for just £80k. I hope this Harry Kane guy develops quickly enough to help my reach my five-season target.

Edited by Naitch

On 17/08/2017 at 14:30, Meacon said:

That sounds great. I wish they'd make a simpler/dumbed down version of FM that doesn't involve agent fees and the like. I'm still on FM15, and still trying to get around the finance aspect of it because of all that crap included. 

They do. 

I haven't played FM since 08 before this one. I picked up Touch because it was explained as a watered down version of the classic. To me, it plays a lot like the older FM games. Once you figure out the tabs and everything, it was no different to the way I played 08.

56 minutes ago, MDK said:

Heh, Dodoo 

He scored one goal for our first team playing in the Irish First Division.

He lived up to his name.