2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

Apparently Jay Cutler has offered to put his broadcast plans on hold if Miami need a starter. 

And with that, the only AFC East team that might've given the Pats the slightest bit of trouble is a non-factor.

Speaking of the Pats - they've sent out tickets to their two home playoff games already to season ticket holders who requested them.  They aren't the only team with playoff ambitions to do this, but they're the only ones to label the first game "Divisional Round" because the possibility of getting a 3rd or 4th seed and having to host the Wild Card round instead is beneath them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, livid said:

Well they've only had 3 Wild Card games since 2000 and the last one was in 2009 so...it kind of is.

Except, it isn't, because you've had them. That sentence only works if you've never had a wildcard game. ;)

2 minutes ago, Twist said:

Except, it isn't, because you've had them. That sentence only works if you've never had a wildcard game. ;)

Hence "kind of is" and not "definitely is". 

Regardless, when you haven't had to host a Wild Card game in 8 years I don't think it's that unreasonable to assume you won't have to again this year. Maybe it's hubris but in the grand scheme of things it's barely important. There might be a story about it if they do end up having to play in a Wild Card game but it ultimately doesn't matter .

It's fine for fans to assume they'll get a bye.  That's what fans do and what all the writers do when they make predictions.  Being totally realistic I can't see how they don't given that they'll get like a 5 or 6 game head start just playing in that terrible division.  I'd go as far as to say them going 16-0 is substantially more likely than them not getting a bye.

But for the team itself to basically come out and say "yeah, this season's just a formality.  See you second week of January!" feels like poor form.

• Like 2

I despise the Pats and I'm with Livid, here. When you play the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins six times every year, you're pretty much a lock for #1 or #2.

Consider the Broncos/Raiders/Chiefs have to beat up each other to win the division, much like the Ravens/Steelers/Bengals(sometimes). And the AFC South can't beat anybody outside of their own division, so that handicaps them. The Pats seem to have the smoothest route to the Divisional round every year. Obviously, shit happens and it may not happen this year. But them assuming they will doesn't even bother me anymore, because they are just that damn good. 

• Like 1