2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

I think he also got into his own head a bit. When he came in he was firing the ball all over the place and was a nice change of pace from Alex Smith's inability to make plays because he absolutely does not want to make mistakes but after awhile, he kind of just morphed in Alex Smith with better speed because he became very reluctant to make the sort of passes he made when he first came in.

And for sure Baalke was a huge problem but I'm still not sure the ultimate problem isn't with Jed York. Going into the offseason I thought if they could come away with Shanahan (or McDaniels - I think he's ready for a second shot at being a head coach) as the coach that they were in good shape and I am surprised that actually happened. He got the Harbaugh hiring right and seemingly this one as well so maybe he does know what he's doing but I can't help but feel like he's going to fuck it up (again) somehow. 

2 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Seattle was the perfect place for Kap and they went with Austin Davis, so...

I actually understand why they didn't opt for him if the relationship between players like Sherman and Wilson are as strained as we're being led to believe. But schematically, yes that was the best fit.

• Like 1

I still think he'd have made a logical back up to Tyrod in Buffalo. 

NFL: We need to fund research into concussions and CTE.

*gives money to NIH*

NIH: We found CTE in 110 of 111 deceased NFL players.

NFL: Fuck your research.

• Like 4

I know from an acquaintance that the NFL is always funding anything to avoid the potential ramifications of concussions. For example making better helmets. NFL wants that, because they think better helmets will just fix the problem. But that's just likely one of many issues. Even if you make the helmets better the speed is still there, concussions don't always happen from head-to-head blows. Furthermore players are so competitive that far too many are avoiding protocol. They know they're a little woozy but they'll stay out there if nobody comes out to stop them. And since these symptoms aren't always visible they're getting away with it.

NFL hates when CTE gets brought up because it's a fundamental danger in a sport like this. They also want to promote themselves as being on the vanguard of brain safety, when time and time again they drag their feet and throw money at the problem instead of actual solutions.

6 hours ago, damshow said:

Furthermore players are so competitive that far too many are avoiding protocol. They know they're a little woozy but they'll stay out there if nobody comes out to stop them. And since these symptoms aren't always visible they're getting away with it.

There have also been several WRs and RBs who have admitted to telling opposing defensive players before the game to please hit them high instead of low as they were more concerned about knee injuries.  Some have gone as far as to offer to pay the fines for the defensive players in those cases.

7 hours ago, punky said:

Seattle signs recently released first round Eagles bust Marcus Smith. Cue the 8-10 sack season. <_<

Thats what I said too

Branden Albert has retired. 

21 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Why? That makes no sense at all.

Because they'd have to miss practice for it.  Both guys have been in the NFL for ages - skipping a practice isn't going to hurt them.  Conversely, Bruce Arians was more than happy to let Larry Fitzgerald skip practice to go see Warner go into the Hall.

2 hours ago, DFF said:

Branden Albert has retired. 

One practice with Bortles in which he threw 5 INTs was all he needed to decide the season was a waste.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Busch Strowman said:

Because they'd have to miss practice for it.  Both guys have been in the NFL for ages - skipping a practice isn't going to hurt them.  Conversely, Bruce Arians was more than happy to let Larry Fitzgerald skip practice to go see Warner go into the Hall.

Yea, thats idiotic. Gates and Phillips don't need to be there at practice. But also...why is the NFL or an NFL team scheduling something during the ceremony?

4 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Yea, thats idiotic. Gates and Phillips don't need to be there at practice. But also...why is the NFL or an NFL team scheduling something during the ceremony?

Because they can't be expected to halt all team activities and invite the entirety of the NFL to the ceremony?  Training camp is far more important than the Hall of Fame Ceremony.

16 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Because they can't be expected to halt all team activities and invite the entirety of the NFL to the ceremony?  Training camp is far more important than the Hall of Fame Ceremony.

Especially since they're installing a new offense from a new coach. It's not like Fitzgerald in Arizona who has played in that offense for years now so I can see why it wouldn't be too bad to have him miss some practice.

Maybe because Gates and Philips have been there forever, are seasoned pros, and probably want to see their friend inducted? Anybody who is playing in the NFL should be allowed to see their old teammates get such an honor, regardless if they have a new coach and a new system or not.

Oh I agree that Gates and Rivers should be allowed to attend.  I'm just disagreeing with the idea that the team, or any team shouldn't schedule any activities during the ceremony.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Maybe because Gates and Philips have been there forever, are seasoned pros, and probably want to see their friend inducted? Anybody who is playing in the NFL should be allowed to see their old teammates get such an honor, regardless if they have a new coach and a new system or not.

I was merely pointing out that it's a reasonable request from a first year head coach installing a new offense than it would be if it was another year under Mike McCoy or something. Personally I don't see the harm but I am also not the head coach of the Chargers so it's not up to me and I see value in the argument that they should be there. 

• Like 1