2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

1 hour ago, Pooker said:

Alex Smith is one of the few players that I will root for no matter what tram he plays for. I'm guessing this means that Kirk Cousins is out in Washington? 

Looks like it

7 hours ago, livid said:

The Chiefs are apparently trading Alex Smith to the Redskins for picks and a player. 

The player is Kendall Fuller, and the pick is a 3rd rounder this year.

Apparently the Browns wanted to trade for Smith but he nixed the idea. Can't say as I blame him.

I don't understand why the Redskins wouldn't give Cousins a deal but are happy to pay Alex Smith £23.5 million a season with a ton of guaranteed money.

Unless Cousins was really adamant about not signing with the Redskins after the first franchise tag.

This just seems like a horribly mismanaged situation by Washington.

3 hours ago, munky said:

Apparently the Browns wanted to trade for Smith but he nixed the idea. Can't say as I blame him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the league seriously needs to consider just retracting the Browns.  Or, since they probably would get sued by the city, at least force Haslam out and overhaul the organization from the top down.

Other than Joe Thomas, nobody wants to play there.  Every first round pick they take immediately is flagged as a likely bust simply because the organization is so bad, the player busting is more like a self-fulfilling prophecy.  They rarely give coaches any significant time to sort things out and when they finally do, it's someone who's 1-31.

I really can't see the end of this vicious cycle in sight, and it all starts with ownership.