2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

I was all for getting rid of Coughlin after 2015.  It wasn't just that it was the fourth straight losing season for the team, it was the way they lost games - with countless baffling decisions and a stupid number of fourth quarter leads blown.  But worse than all of that was Coughlin's failure to discipline Beckham during that game where he brawled with Josh Norman all game.  The dude committed three or four personal fouls and Coughlin still refused to pull him.  Worse yet, he was totally incredulous when asked about it after the game.  "You wanted me to pull him out of the game?"

That was it for me.  Coughlin had never had a problem with disciplining guys before.  He suspended Plaxico Burress for a week when the team was rolling because he skipped a meeting.  He sat Ahmad Bradshaw for a quarter against Dallas in 2011 in a game the Giants needed to win to keep any hope for the season alive because he'd missed curfew.  He'd benched other dudes for similar reasons too.  But he allowed his star receiver to go out there and embarrass himself and the team and he never sat the dude down because he was more concerned with winning the game than teaching the guy a valuable lesson.

But as much as it was time to move on, it was utter horseshit to immediately replace a 2-time Super Bowl winning, future Hall of Fame coach with his offensive coordinator who'd never once held a head coaching gig at any level and who had only two seasons under his belt as a coordinator.  It sent the message that Coughlin was the only problem, which was ridiculous.  I'll never understand Jerry Reese getting to keep his job despite years and years of bad drafting.

11-5 last year sure looks like it was a clear fluke, and I really don't see how the Giants can't just blow it all up.  McAdoo definitely needs to go, but so does Reese.  I don't care that the team hasn't fired a GM since 1978.  He had two top 10 picks in a row and turned them into Ereck Flowers and Eli Apple, both of whom appear to be total busts.  He needs to go so the team can do a rebuild the right way.

Keep in mind I've got friends on Facebook who are Giants fans and loved to post all sorts of gloating and anti-Cowboys memes on Facebook last year. (They're silent as hell this year. Wonder why?). So you can bet I'm enjpying the Giants' problems.

But, as a football fan, I agree they need to get rid of McAdoo and Reese. Reese should have gone when, if not before, Coughlin did. They also need to look at replacing Eli Manning.

Oh, and don't get me started on the Beckham-Norman situation. Beckham not being yanked from the game is right up there with Shanahan not yanking RG3 from the game where he eventually got hurt.

I'm calling the upcoming Giants-49ers game `The Toilet Bowl'. Because I don't see the 49ers winning any games this year, and don't see the Giants winning any more this year after this one if they don't make some changes. 

(Incidentally, most people who have posted their picks for this week at the other board I've mentioned a few times are picking the Giants. Only one so far (NOT me) is picking the 49ers, but we've still got a few who haven't posted their predictions yet. I'm considering changing my pick for the Vikings-Redskins game, since Bridgewater will be playing. I picked the Vikings to win before Bradford was put on the IR, but am not so sure now......)