2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

• Admin

From Adam Schefter:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Texans owner Bob McNair, amongst others, will be deposed and asked to turn over all cell phone records and emails in relation to the Colin Kaepernick collusion case against the NFL, a league source confirmed. Others owners, teams and league officials also will be deposed, but those individuals have been confirmed for now.

As soon as the Ravens and Seahawks situations come to light at a hearing, his grievance probably goes bye-bye. Along with his career.

"Mr. Kaepernick, the only people you have legitimate grievances with are your girlfriend.....and yourself."

If you quit your job (or are fired), you're not entitled to receive another one.

The Ezekiel Elliot situation pisses me off, and has nothing to do with him being a Cowboys player. The punishment does not fit the crime (especially when the situation revolving around the crime is shady as fuck), players have gotten less punishment for worse, and Goodell shouldn't be able to say it's because of repeat offense when the offense probably never happened. There are players actually guilty of what Zeke is being accused of who received lesser suspensions, and that's outright bullshit.

I hate Goodell, and can't wait for that cocksucker to go. He's the worst commissioner the league has ever had. It's his fault that dirty sack of shit Suh is still in the league instead of working as a bouncer somewhere.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

As soon as the Ravens and Seahawks situations come to light at a hearing, his grievance probably goes bye-bye. Along with his career.

"Mr. Kaepernick, the only people you have legitimate grievances with are your girlfriend.....and yourself."

If you quit your job (or are fired), you're not entitled to receive another one.

Okay, you keep going on about this, so let's break it down. Before I go on, I will say, I have no idea if the NFL colluded to avoid signing Kaepernick, but let's continue with what we know.

The Ravens: His girlfriend makes a tweet and he doesn't get offered a contract. Or at least, that's what Ray Lewis says. If it is true, it shouldn't really matter. What my partner says or tweets shouldn't affect my job status. 

The Seahawks: It could have been that the owners wanted one team to offer Kaepernick the league minimum to avoid it being called collusion. But that would still be collusion. And even if you remove those two teams, there are still potentially 30 teams that could have colluded to ensure he wasn't signed.

And he didn't "quit his job". He opted out of a contract that he had every right under the structure of the contract to do so. You're right, if you opt out, you are not entitled to receive a new contract. But if you have the ability to get a new contract, but every owner, or even a majority of owners, come together to purposely act to try and make sure you don't get a contract, that's collusion. 

There is evidence to show that parties within and outside the NFL are worried about how this kneeling protest has affected their business (Goodell's letter, for example). Papa fucking John's says he thinks it has affected their business. It certainly seems plausible that there may just be some truth to what many believe is happening to Kaepernick. 

• Like 5

Proving collusion is very hard unless you find communications between people that show there was a concerted effort to not sign him and encourage others to not sign him.

It's tough, text messages can be deleted and phones can be destroyed. Real big question is who in organizations would have been part of the collusion outside of owners and if any of them are a bit careless.

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. Unless Keapernick some how has prove of it, which I doubt, wouldn't it be super easy for one of the owners or GMs to just point out the hundreds of other free agents out there as an example of players not fitting into a team?

Ravens probably have some idiotic communication from the owner and Dick Cass about not wanting Ozzie to sign him. I can basically guarantee there is probably a sentence that goes "We need to find a valid excuse".

I have total faith in that organization to be the ones with the smoking gun.

I believe there have been other athletes in the past who have lost jobs due to comments by relatives or associates. But those were in other sports, if I recall correctly. I remember there was a baseball player in the 80's or 90's whose wife made comments that got him either released or traded.

What happened with Seattle could be part of the collusion, or it could be that they felt offering him a vet minimum contract was fair considering he would be a backup QB and signing him could lead to a media headache.

The situation I find seriously fishy as far as Kaepernick is concerned is the Titans signing Brandon Weeden and looking at other trash QBs rather than him. Weeden is strictly Arena Football League material, and even that is questionable. 

But if there is any collusion, it's going to be next to impossible to prove. If there's not any proof, or it's simply the case that no one wants him, his career is toast. 

(Do I actually believe there is collusion going on? Yes, indeed, I do.)

Wasn't there a news piece going around saying that he just needs to prove one instance of collusion and it would negate / nullify the collective bargaining agreement? 

3 hours ago, DFF said:

Wasn't there a news piece going around saying that he just needs to prove one instance of collusion and it would negate / nullify the collective bargaining agreement? 

Yes, the CBA would be voided if they were able to prove an instance of collusion.

I doubt they will be able to prove collusion but anyone with eyes can see what's going on here.

Edited by punky