Football Manager 2018

Lineker

4 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Does anyone else often arrange transfers to arrive at the end of the season? Even if it's pre-season of your current one? Sometimes I want to secure future signings and have them done to arrive the next summer to know they're coming in and better prepare it to reshape things. Immediate loan back always good to use too.

Always annoying though when someone has a release fee but it doesn't apply if you arrange it for a future date rather than immediately.

I tend to do this but usually by agreeing transfers when the window is closed, meaning they obviously hold off until the next window opens

In season 2034-35 and finally got Bangor City to the knockout stages of the Champions League - bring on Real Madrid!

My star striker - 20 year old Chris Davies came through my youth academy, helped Wales to the World Cup semi final (but got injured in said match and missed the start of the season) and was named on the bench in the World Cup dream team. Not bad for a player from the Welsh Premier League!

I currently have 4 Welsh internationals in my team, 3 which came through my youth academy.

Doing some charity work on the side while managing Orient. I'm currently Wales boss. This is the state of it:

Osian Roberts: I have been unable to compile a full report on England as very little statistical data exists for the team.

You mate pick up your P45 on your way out to lunch.

• Like 4

I’m just imagining that like the appraisals in The Office, and the guy has just blagged his way in to the job but knows nothing at all about football.

”Here you go, boss.”
”R-right... Bobby Charlton, it says here?”
”...”
”Thats fine, little mistake there, no bother... banter.”
”Banter, exactly.”
”Hmm. Something here about them playing a 4-4-3-2?”
”Thats right.”
”Yeah, that’s... that’s too many players though, isn’t it?”
”Oh, er, yes, so it is.”
”Under ‘strengths’... you’ve just put ‘Baddiel and Skinner’?”
”Yeah.”
”Get out.”

pEA.gif

• Haha 2

The pre-match teamtalk thing needs work. Last two games of the season and I need two wins to even think of getting the last playoff spot and I tell them we need to go attacking and they all get the hump about it. Guys, we need 6 points, not scrape a draw and hope for a Steven Hawking numbers miracle.

Braintree!

I hate managing in the prem league too but that’s because the teams are much more balanced and my lack of managing knowledge shines brightly.

I start every career with Braintree and make my way upward from there. I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for the Iron and Cressing Road. 

I think I hate it cause I just see like, Stoke and West Brom and Everton and think fuck off you bores.

Also, I want a long-term game, but I think that means it can't really be in England cause even in the lower leagues the long term aim is Premier League, and in the past I find that I lose interest the moment I'm there because it just feels weird seeing like... York, bowling around in the Premier League and like it's gotten too ridiculous or something.

2 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

I think I hate it cause I just see like, Stoke and West Brom and Everton and think fuck off you bores.

Also, I want a long-term game, but I think that means it can't really be in England cause even in the lower leagues the long term aim is Premier League, and in the past I find that I lose interest the moment I'm there because it just feels weird seeing like... York, bowling around in the Premier League and like it's gotten too ridiculous or something.

You did not just lump us in with lifelong clodders Stoke and West Brom :angry:.

God dammit Allardyce.

2 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Maybe I’m just no good, but I reckon it should take you a while before you get Braintree playing in the Prem league and bored of it. 😛

9 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

I'm already bored of Southampton. Managing in the Premier League is so dull, bores me so quickly.

Somebody pick a team for me.

Obviously I always suggest Orient but this time, in FM18 at least, it is really fun. You start with a League Two squad in Non-League and with the right free transfers you can rocket through the lower leagues.

16 minutes ago, Liam said:

Considering I've always struggled to get into LLM style games - what are some good tips?

Be prepared to settle for crap players or old players who are good but have 3 stamina. The transfer kitty is an actual cat that you use to entice players. 4-4-2 works wonders as well. Oh, and just because you get a player that has 5* potential doesn't mean he will reach it, best off selling him with a profit from sale clause.

8 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Five star potential when you're a shit team is only relative in FM isn't, so it doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be Messi, it just means potentially one of the best in that league or at your club?

Yeah but unless you have stellar training facilities and great staff even your Messi regen won't be as good.

Like I have a regen dubbed "The Next Billy Wright" and luckily the facilities have been upgraded but I'm struggling to afford better staff.

I always like a LLM challenge but always used to play as AFC Wimbledon when they were in non-league, but now they're in League 1 it's not quite as fun. So I'm taking your advice @MDK and playing as Leyton Orient. GEORGE ELOKOBI!

9 minutes ago, TMM said:

I always like a LLM challenge but always used to play as AFC Wimbledon when they were in non-league, but now they're in League 1 it's not quite as fun. So I'm taking your advice @MDK and playing as Leyton Orient. GEORGE ELOKOBI!

Big George is an absolute rock for that first season. Dalby and Bonne up front in a two are unstoppable but you need to sign a decent keeper (unless its been updated with Dean Brill as a player/coach) because the two young lads are rubbish.

8 minutes ago, MDK said:

Big George is an absolute rock for that first season. Dalby and Bonne up front in a two are unstoppable but you need to sign a decent keeper (unless its been updated with Dean Brill as a player/coach) because the two young lads are rubbish.

Yeah I'm using the updated database so I've got Brill but don't have Dalby

EDIT: also Charlie Lee starts off with a 13-month cruciate ligament injury :(

2 minutes ago, TMM said:

EDIT: also Charlie Lee starts off with a 13-month cruciate ligament injury :(

Yep, in my game he came back from injury for League Two and immediately ruptured his crutiate again.