2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

3 hours ago, Lowerdeck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants trade down from 2, especially if someone desperate for a QB wants to give a small ransom for Rosen/Darnold/Allen

Probably posted it before but unless they are 100% sold on a guy being the QB of the future then trade down, gather up some more picks, and if they have to just wait another year. Ideally the plan would be to trade down and still get a QB to groom behind Eli, but you still have someone mildly competent in the position. Eli isn't getting any better or younger but with smarter coaching I think he can at least manage games for the team.

For what it's worth, Gettleman and Shurmur have both said publicly that they think Eli has "several" productive years left in the tank.  But I put no real stock in that.  The Giants have had a massive problem with organizational leaks the past few years, most notably the 2016 draft when seemingly everyone in the league knew for weeks that their top two targets at #10 were Jack Conklin and Leonard Floyd, which led to the Titans and Bears trading directly ahead of them to take both players and leaving the Giants stuck with Eli Apple.  Whether they're truly targeting a QB or not, I doubt this new regime would blatantly tip their hand.

Knowing Gettleman's affinity for offensive linemen, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Quenton Nelson is someone they're considering taking...but you really can't take a guard at #2 overall unless you are convinced he's going to become a Hall of Famer.  So yeah, that would put them in a position to trade down to a spot where they're still comfortable they can get him.

Does he like men?  Well, he'll have 89 teammates during preseason, 52 during the regular season plus 10 practice squad and who knows how many IR'ed teammates.  Along with that he'll be surrounded by 20 or so men on the coaching and training staffs not to mention whatever executives he may interact with, most of which are, you guessed it, men.

Everyone in the NFL should like men.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its mad reading the Giants subreddit where people are seemingly convinced that a 3-13 team with a declining 37 year old QB don't need to pick a QB because all this year's ones suck for some reason. Subsequently a running back at #2 is the best pick and is going to fix everything.

Running back is the last piece to the rebuilding puzzle, not the first. Even if Barkley is as good as the hype, you're not winning shit without a QB. You can win a Super Bowl without an elite running back quite easily and they're the easiest position to find in the later rounds.

If its not QB or trading back then its the wrong decision.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I agree completely. I’m fine if the Browns take Barkley #1 because they can still get a QB at #4, but no team in today’s league is winning Super Bowls because of an elite running back. How many championships did Minnesota win with Adrian Peterson? 

Yeah that's a unique situation but even then I feel that QB is the right pick at #1. The Browns of all teams should know that they can't wait a second longer on the position. They'd have to be 100% confident in 3 guys because if Saquan is #1 then the next two picks are guaranteed to be QBs. Denver at #5, NYJ at #6 and Buffalo with two 1st Round picks aren't going to sit idle if their guy is there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TCO said:

Its mad reading the Giants subreddit where people are seemingly convinced that a 3-13 team with a declining 37 year old QB don't need to pick a QB because all this year's ones suck for some reason. Subsequently a running back at #2 is the best pick and is going to fix everything.

It's all Penn State fanboys who worship the air Barkley breathes.

I expect to see the Giants trade down and still pick up a QB in the 1st round. There's so many highly touted QB prospects and also so many teams in need of one this year. Someone will hand the Giants a big offer that they should take to drop back.

I don't see the Jets getting Cousins in FA so I'm just hoping they get desperate enough to give us a Redskins/Rams type haul for a QB. A first swap/2nd/two future 1sts sounds much better than a RB at 2 overall. <_<

Worley's from here, so that is kinda neat. 

But I think Philly got the better of that deal. I feel like Smith has maybe one year left in him. The Eagles weren't ever going to accept Smith's option this season anyway. So they get younger, another defensive player, and dropped like $4 million in salary.