2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

20 minutes ago, Meacon said:

"We've not seen tape of this Lamar Jackson kid. I'm assuming he's fast, though, right? He's probably fast. Let's try him at receiver."

According to Bill Polian this 6'3 kid is too short to play QB.

5 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I don't understand this trade. Is Quinn not worth a ton more than a mid round pick?

He's been banged up the last couple of years and wasn't really a scheme fit since the Rams switches to a 3-4.

The Rams might have wanted to clear cap space so they could keep Sammy Watkins. A deal with Todd Gurley is also looming.

Still, the Dolphins could have picked up a steal.

• Admin

San Francisco police are searching for Oakland Raiders linebacker Aldon Smith after he was allegedly involved in a domestic violence incident over the weekend, police confirmed to NFL.com.

Police have named Smith a suspect in a domestic violence incident that happened on Saturday night. The victim suffered non-life threatening injuries and Smith fled the scene prior to the police's arrival to investigate the incident. Investigators from the SFPD Special Victims Unit want to interview Smith about the incident.

Smith, 28, hasn't played a snap in the NFL since the 2015 season when he was suspended for violating the league's substance-abuse and personal conduct policies. He signed with the Raiders in August 2015 after being released by the San Francisco 49ers hours after he was arrested on hit and run, DUI and vandalism charges. He appeared in nine games with the Raiders before being suspended for a year by the NFL.

In 2016, he signed a two-year deal with the Raiders and applied for reinstatement in November 2016 before being the subject of a domestic-violence investigation in February 2017.

Selected by the 49ers in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, Smith tallied 33.5 sacks over his first two seasons. He's slated to become a free agent when the new league year begins March 14.

I watched a few minutes of First Take, and I'm beginning to wonder if Steven A. Smith is the Browns' GM.

They were debating if a QB should be the first pick in the draft or not, and Max Kellerman made a point that there's no consensus top QB in the draft this year. He also said that with the Browns having the 1st and 4th picks, that they should draft Saquon Barkley with the first pick, and a QB with the fourth. Because being the first pick would put a lot more pressure on a QB than on a RB.

So naturally, Steven A. said he'd take a QB first. That was about all the bullshit I could take, so I switched to Golic and Wingo.

According to reports, Kirk Cousins has narrowed it down to the Broncos, Cardinals, Jets or Vikings.

Trey Wingo believes Cousins will go to the Broncos, apparently, according to highlights from earlier in the show. I didn't hear where the Golics (Mike Sr and Jr) think he will end up. I'm hoping the Vikings or Broncos, in that order. If he goes to the Jets, he'd better make sure that the contract includes a ton of guaranteed money. Because of the four teams he's considering, the Jets are the one that won't be getting anywhere near a Super Bowl any time soon. And he'll be the scapegoat when the team continues to fail.

*edited to add* And I'm calling bullshit if Shaquem Griffin goes lower than mid 3rd round. He's performed like a machine at the Combine, and only having one hand shouldn't be that big a deal the way he plays. I watched the Peach Bowl, and he was an absolute beast.

Edited by GhostMachine

• Admin
  • The Oakland Raiders released linebacker Aldon Smith. He was slated to become a free agent when the new league year started March 14.
  • The Dallas Cowboys have yet to reach an agreement on a long-term contract with Demarcus Lawrence, but the fearsome pass rusher isn't hitting the open market. On Monday, the Cowboys franchise tagged Lawrence, who signed the deal hours later, according to his agent David Canter.
  • The NFL will increase the salary cap's total from $167 million to $177.2 million for the 2018 season, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, according to two team executives who were informed.
  • The Eagles are asking for a first-round draft pick "at the very least" for Nick Foles

Former Green Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields wants to resume his NFL career and will start visiting teams this week, including the Cleveland Browns, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Shields, 30, didn't play last season after the Packers released him in February. Before he was released he had played in just two of his last 23 games with Green Bay because of concussions.

The former Pro Bowl cornerback never returned from the concussion he suffered in the Packers' 2016 season opener at Jacksonville. It was the fourth concussion of his NFL career, and second in nine months after missing four games during the 2015 season.

When healthy, Shields was one of the top cover cornerbacks in the league. He has 23 interceptions (including the playoffs) since entering the league in 2010.