NBA 2014/15 Season Thread

Plubby

It really wouldn't. He has said as much himself. He isn't a Kobe or Jordan, if he had a chance to slack he would. Plus he would have been behind Lebron, Waiters and god knows who else in the rotation.

It really wouldn't. He has said as much himself. He isn't a Kobe or Jordan, if he had a chance to slack he would. Plus he would have been behind Lebron, Waiters and god knows who else in the rotation.

He really wouldn't know. He's a rookie who's played 56 games.

He'd probably be the starting shooting guard. He would have automatically been the 2nd best defensive player on the team.

He's still an inefficient rookie who has hit a real hot streak, as good as it is (that's all rookies really). Playing with one of the best playmakers in the world would have only helped him come along. And who knows what he would learn defensively. Sure he would be scoring 20 a game, but that's just because of lesser opportunities.

Rubio is chopped liver in regards to being a playmaker :/? Having watched the games the change has been amazing between Rubio in and out, Wiggins is working at least 30% harder with Rubio on the floor as he sees the value in running the floor since Rubio will find him. That's where his 'hot streak' has come from.

The biggest question about Wiggins going number 1 was around his attachment and impact on the game, hands on hips, floating through games in college, Embiid becoming the star of the team and Wiggins not trying to take it back etc. It's why everyone labelled his ceiling as McGrady because he seemingly doesn't have that drive of a Kobe or Jordan where they need to put their mark on every game and prove they're the very best. I remember the start of the season and Jabari and Embiid before they got injured were the NBA ready ones, Wiggins was seen as a risk and a project who might never become what people thought he was capable of. You think the Cavs are going to start a project? Because he certainly wasn't what he is today at the start of the season.

Look at what playing for a great playmaker in LeBron has done for Love. He has spent half the season miserable (although to be fair he is a mardy bastard who would probably be depressed at his own wedding). But it isn't like having LeBron on your team instantly makes you a better player, it makes you adapt and learn to play a complimentary role to LeBron. Wiggins would have fucking loved that, but I don't think he'd end up as well rounded (or frankly as good) as he will playing in a Wolves uniform. Which young players has LeBron made a star out of?

He wouldn't be scoring 20 a game. 20 a game here isn't guaranteed, he still slinks off into the shadows quite a bit, often at the end of the game you wonder where the fuck his 16 points came from. Or he'll disappear for 3/4 quarters and drop 11 in the one he turns up for.

• Like 1

NERLENS.

He killed it last night. 14 points, 13 rebounds. Dude may not be an offensive force, but he's a beast on D with a ton of upside. The Sixers are going places.

Edit: Re: the Sixers stockpiling picks. If everything breaks their way, they get 9 picks in this year's draft. No shot they have 9 rookies on the team this year. It'll be interesting to see what they do, and where the ping pong balls fall.

On the KJ trade, not too broken up about it. He's always been one foot out the door since he got here, with the way his contract was structured. If they really want him, they'll get him back in FA this year, along with the pick they got out of him and Canaan. Sam knows what he's doing, and people are starting to take notice. Beyond the awesome ESPN article last week, there are a couple more national media outlets taking notice.

Let me ask you this: All other things being equal, would you rather be in the Sixers' position, or the Knicks/Lakers?

Edited by PatDaMan

NERLENS.

He killed it last night. 14 points, 13 rebounds. Dude may not be an offensive force, but he's a beast on D with a ton of upside. The Sixers are going places.

Edit: Re: the Sixers stockpiling picks. If everything breaks their way, they get 9 picks in this year's draft. No shot they have 9 rookies on the team this year. It'll be interesting to see what they do, and where the ping pong balls fall.

On the KJ trade, not too broken up about it. He's always been one foot out the door since he got here, with the way his contract was structured. If they really want him, they'll get him back in FA this year, along with the pick they got out of him and Canaan. Sam knows what he's doing, and people are starting to take notice. Beyond the awesome ESPN article last week, there are a couple more national media outlets taking notice.

Let me ask you this: All other things being equal, would you rather be in the Sixers' position, or the Knicks/Lakers?

I don't think that's a fair comparison. The Knicks/Lakers have only just started their tank so it's an unfair comparison. A fairer one would be Boston and I'd rather be Boston, or the Wolves and I'd rather be the Wolves, or Milwaukee who I would also rather be.

The Sixers always seem to be two years away from being ready. I understand 100% what they're trying for, but I don't know if they can pull it off. Their two biggest assets play the same position, 2/3 of the top three in the upcoming draft also play that position. I don't know how many assets you're going to get for a Okafor (or Towns)/Noel/Embiid when the teams dealing with you know that you need to move at least one of these players. Beyond which we'll need to see how MCW and KJ pay off for their new teams, if either flop then a lot of teams might start thinking that guys on the Sixers are only getting those stats solely because they're playing on a bad team.

Beyond which even if you have Saric and Embiid and your new pick all on the floor next year and start your ascendancy I still think it takes at least a year to get everyone on the same page. I'm not 100% sold that Hinkie is capable of just letting things develop, if once the team is assembled he isn't 100% sure because they have teething problems I'm not sure he doesn't still keep making changes. I'm not sure Brett Brown is going to stick around forever (especially if guys he likes keep getting moved).

I look at Boston, Milwaukee, Wolves etc and I see teams moving upwards, even Lakers and Knicks I can see the outline of the new plan. I look at Philly and I see a GM who treats basketball like it's NBA 2k. Daryl Morey got lucky to some degree and now takes a step back and lets the players speak for themselves, I'm worried that Hinkie is going to tie any success in Philly to how brilliant he was and how brave the owners are. Likewise I can see him constantly shaking things up because in his mind the pieces don't quite fit, totally ignoring things that don't get recorded like player/fan/coach trust and chemistry.

Having said all that I still give them a good chance of pulling it all off, they have the beginnings of a great roster in Noel, Embiid and Saric. They'll also doubtless get more goodies from this years draft. But I am worried about how long it takes to get boiling once you put all the pieces together and if they have the patience to wait. Especially since once they reach final form there is going to be an absolute fuck ton of pressure for the team to succeed. As a Wolves fan I'd rather be where we are with Wiggins, Shabazz, LaVine, Dieng, Payne and Rubio than to be where the Sixers currently are. Our team is going to be good, the Sixers have the chance to be unstoppable but only if everything comes together and I feel less and less confident it's going to work out.

Never mind the fact that both Los Angeles and New York are cities where big name free agents actually want to go. Philadelphia, not so much.

This.

At the end of the day, the Lakers might suck, but the franchise has a proven track record, one of the best GMs in the game, and, as long as it says 'Los Angeles Lakers' on the marquee, it's a destination.

The Knicks less so, but only because that proven track record isn't there.

The Sixers have been irrelevant since Iverson left. They have no proven track record, and they are not a destination. Boston is in a much better position, and even the Wolves are better off because they've proven they can be competitive in a small market.

In that regard I'd actually disagree to some extent. If Philly end up with a roster like OKC had with Harden, Ibaka, Durant and Westbrook and are willing to pay the tax I'd imagine there would be a few stars on expiring deals willing to sign extensions (sort of like K. Love choosing to go to Cleveland) plus Philly will have picks to offer in compensation. Or they will have stars in free agency willing to be the face of a team with those kinds of young guys. However I also think they're going to need to be stable before vets start clamouring to be there.

If Philly gets the ball rolling and looks like a dynasty in the making with the commitment to retain players I can see players choosing them over the more prestigious teams. In a situation where it's a coin flip I can see the Lakers snagging guys, but I think the ascendency of Philly could match up with Kobe retiring and the Lakers actually starting to take shape again.

Edited by Quom
  • Like 1

If you're shrewd enough as a player to get on the Philly bandwagon just between when they stop sucking and start winning, when that squad takes off you'd be considered a god in that city. That city does not do passion, one way or the other, by halves.

• Like 1

Plubby hits the nail on the head - look at how quick the city took to Covington and KJ. I've heard more fans angry about the KJ trade than the MCW one, and no one knew who he was a year ago.

I think that, once the ball really gets rolling, Philly will become a destination. They're building a state of the art campus that'll be opening next summer, which will be awesome. It's still the fourth biggest media market in the country. The national media are talking about the Sixers more and more each week. It won't be totally crazy to see people wanting to come here once the winning starts.

Quom, one thing that I do disagree with is when you say Sam is "playing NBA 2K15." They have a system that relies a lot on perimeter shooting and high efficiency. MCW could drive the lane, but the shooting wasn't there and the turnovers were too much. Gotta get a franchise PG, but I think the direction is there.

And, I can say with confidence, they won't be trading Embiid like those reports earlier this week said.