Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

I honestly reckon if I got me, my nan and my dad. We could play around our midfield.

Thing is; two of the three have been dead for 10+ years. The other is just dead inside watching this match.... 

This season is gonna turn into checking Everton's results to see if they're gonna get relegated. That and figuring it if we have an outside chance of the Conference League.

8 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Liverpool are fine long-term I feel but what a disaster of a season this particular one is for them.

Its such a perfect storm of things, changes in backroom staff, the impact of playing every possible game all last year, injuries to Jota, Diaz and VVD.

The way I look at it, I've seen worse Liverpool teams be far more underwhelming with less redeeming factors.

How is Graham Potter in the firing line at Chelsea, despite only getting to play a signing made under him for about an hour of game time so far, yet Liverpool are only three points ahead and I haven't seen or heard any criticism whatsoever aimed at Klopp?

Is it just the goodwill built up from finally ending the dry spell and winning another Champions League? Is it a cultural difference between fans of each club?

Both teams will be lucky to fight for the Conference League spot at this rate.

It's definitely the culture of the club and the supporters, plus the goodwill of everything Klopp has done. He took Liverpool to within two matches of the Quadruple last season, and while I'm biased, Liverpool should have won the league last season if not for some ludicrous refereeing decisions. 

I think the club doesn't want to fire him because they know he's still loved by the vast majority of the fans, and they're too cheap to pay his compensation and then the compensation to hire someone else. The fans know that he needs a lot of new signings that he's not getting, that they've had a lot of injuries, and that the players are exhausted from last season

Yes to both. Klopp is one of the best managers in the world. I wouldn't want to see him gone.

There's definitely criticism but I think there's also an acknowledgement that theres a transition phase going on as well as a heap of injuries.

The World Cup being midseason has probably thrown a bit of chaos into the mix as well.

18 minutes ago, Naitch said:

How is Graham Potter in the firing line at Chelsea, despite only getting to play a signing made under him for about an hour of game time so far, yet Liverpool are only three points ahead and I haven't seen or heard any criticism whatsoever aimed at Klopp?

Is it just the goodwill built up from finally ending the dry spell and winning another Champions League? Is it a cultural difference between fans of each club?

Both teams will be lucky to fight for the Conference League spot at this rate.

Chelsea has a sacking culture. Klopp pretty much turned the club around to what people have seen the last few years and has built a good relationship between the fans and the players and the manager again. Something not seen at the club for a long time. Klopp also pretty much matches the ideology of the city itself. He has performed some miracles at the club compared to what the likes of other teams around us have been able to spend and what he has gotten out of some players. We've spent money not denying that but we've also had issues such as it was obvious our midfield was going to need addressing at some point and that was obvious a few seasons ago. Yet we are where we are. 

Klopp has had criticisms this season. There's a lot of factors around this season that haven't helped but there has been criticism of his man-management in games this season and some of his changes.

We have been spoilt the last few seasons but there's been some shocking performances both from players and as a collective this season. Today is a perfect example. Absolutely no bite in the performance, outplayed, outworked, daft mistakes etc. 

Next weeks game against Chelsea will be interesting. The moveable objects vs the stoppable force

10 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

We have been spoilt the last few seasons

I think this is major part of it. Liverpool were performing to such a high level for years (albeit with a dip in 2021 not too unlike what we are seeing now) that the drop off will seem massive. But inevitable that players are going to drop off. 

I'd still much rather have this team than late-era Rafa Benitez or Roy Hodgson or Brendan Rodgers sides.

This feels more like early Klopp era Liverpool than a Klopp side of the last few years. Particularly with the apparently being shit in January part.

41 minutes ago, FestiveJack said:

This feels like final Klopp season at Dortmund.

People said this in 2020/21 as well tbf

Does make you wonder what on earth Trossard is playing at. He could be starting in a team challenging for Europe but he's trying to force a move to odds are sit on the bench of an established "top" team while an actual World Cup winner seems quite content there for the time being.