Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

I only listened to the Southampton v Forest match, but Southampton just didn't sound as though they were offering anything. They have a great set-piece taker, but little attacking threat beyond that. That they were outplayed by a Forest side that, while gradually improving, still has the worst away record and worst defensive record, is a big warning sign.

At least we managed to get the equaliser but a bit of a disappointment on the whole. Had some chances near the end that we didn't take but really could have done with getting a win given the favourable results we've seen over the last few days and tonight to a lesser degree.

Chelsea be like "better to break our own players than let the opposition do it".

A classic Chelsea game is to start brightly, get no reward, then fall apart later. So we'll see.

At the very least it's generous of Kovacic, Ziyech etc. to actually look interested today, rather than leaving Zakaria as the only one who puts any effort in.

That attack at the end of the first half where Chelsea hit the post aside, City have been pretty much in control since about the 30 min mark. Feels like they've turned it up a bit since the restart too.

Ah, there you go.

Very sad news, he had battled cancer multiple times as well. Obviously he was a world-class striker in his day, but his double-act on the touchline with Mancini, both be-decked in their fantastic suits, was one of the highlights of Euro 2020 for me.

• Sad 1

He was one of those people who as a child and when I started to get into football I remember always seeing him on TV, in sticker albums and on games and when getting older you see highlights of him.

The thing I always found was he seemed like a really genuine nice person.

Pancreatic cancer is horrendous its possibly one of the worst and most painful types you can have so there is solace that he doesn't have to go through that pain anymore but 58 is no age at all. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Pancreatic cancer is horrendous its possibly one of the worst and most painful types you can have so there is solace that he doesn't have to go through that pain anymore but 58 is no age at all. 

My dad died of the same disease and I saw it close up, and the fact it is hard to detect just makes it fucking worse.

• Sad 1

I really liked his time as Chelsea's player-manager. I can remember watching his Chelsea win the Cup Winners Cup. He must have been one of the last high profile player managers surely?

• Like 1

To this day I don't understand why Vialli was sacked five games into the 00-01 season. We'd just had our first Champions League season - making the quarterfinals! - and won the FA Cup. Then after 1 win, 1 loss, and 3 draws he's gone? Baffling. I fully believe he would have done no worse than Ranieri did in the following couple of seasons had he stayed.

Yeah I loved Vialli. I first got into football when he was Chelsea manager and that team was likeable to neutrals and they were my favourite team back then.

I also read his book and it is one of the very small number of sports books that I found genuinely illuminating. 

Very sad.

• Like 1