NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

I'm not even invested in the LeBron thing, but I wish he'd hurry up and announce whatever it is he's going to do, assuming he already knows. He's holding up free agency and I'm tired of reading conspiracy theories or "Lebron's wife's grandma's hairdresser said this". People are analyzing Usher tweets for God's sake. The Decision was pretty corny, but at least there was a timetable. The Indecision is much, much worse.

I feel sorry for him. If I put myself in his shoes I can see the hold up. Firstly you need to collect all of the offers from the teams you have interest in, but beyond that you need to make sure you trust them to put whatever plan they try to sell you on in motion (i.e. if the Cavs are saying they'll trade Wiggins for Love or free up cap space). You then need to sell your family on the idea. Your kids will be changing schools and moving away from friends, your wife will be leaving behind the friends she's made (and her job if she works) and the lifestyle she has created etc. He might have his finger in a number of pies in Miami, or at least can earn a steady income just by showing up places. It also sounds like he has a list of friends he wants on his team so he needs to keep Allen and Miller up to speed. He also probably feels like he owes something to Bosh and Wade. If rumours are to be believed he also has an agent pushing him to sign with Cleveland.

In short to me it doesn't sound as simple, I'd imagine it's why all the other teams were quickly dismissed since those were easy decisions.

Having said all that, I just want him to go to Cleveland and for them to trade us Wiggins and Miami's pick next year for Love.

Rumor is Cleveland has promised Wiggins' camp they would retain him no matter what, though, and I honestly think Minnesota lacks leverage in this situation. Love is leaving you guys, and it's your burden to get rid of him before he makes the decision himself. Golden State wouldn't even part with Klay Thompson. Boston's best offers were rumored to be picks and Olynyk or Jared Sullinger. Why would the Cavs overpay and deal Wiggins? I don't think Cleveland would do it unless LeBron said he just had to have Love or something

I could be wrong, but I bet LeBron knows his decision already. Relocating back to Cleveland is not a huge deal given they still live in Akron during the offseason. His kids were supposedly enrolled at an Ohio school for this fall back in May. I'm not saying going back doesn't warrant a long discussion with family, but it's certainly not like he'd be going to LA or some place where he has no roots. His agent, camp, everything are based in Ohio. One could argue it'd be more convenient to leave than stay in Miami.

All this being said, I still think he's staying in Miami and Cleveland is setting themselves up for another heartbreak.

LeBron is supposed to announce (or decide) by tomorrow so we'll see what happens. I do think Cleveland got their hopes up a little too much, but I think Miami's pitch of "all these guys will come here if you do" isn't gonna resonate after this year. People look way too much into what his family is doing. He and his wife are both Ohio natives and maybe they decided to raise the kids in a town where grandparents and extended family are nearby? Miami is a long way from Ohio and LeBron is on the road all the time anyway.

We'll see what happens and I don't think there are hard feelings from LeBron towards Cleveland now but he has to hope Wiggins pans out if he comes to Cleveland whereas he has a team that can be completely built around him in Miami.

It's interesting. I think LeBron has about a 2 year title window if he stays in Miami. 3 years max. At the same time, if he goes to Cleveland, he's setting himself back a bit but has more title potential in the long run. He could always sign a 2 year extension or something, but after all this, that's going to leave a really bad taste in people's mouths. If he's ever going to capture that "Return of the King" publicity/hero worship(if he even wants it) by returning to Cleveland, he needs to do it now. The cap room is unlikely to be there 2 years from now, and it just wouldn't be the same after this. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, etc.

As for the timetable, it was supposed to be yesterday, then today by 3:30, then tonight by 11:00, now tomorrow. I'm honestly not believing anything until I see it.

Rumor is Cleveland has promised Wiggins' camp they would retain him no matter what, though, and I honestly think Minnesota lacks leverage in this situation. Love is leaving you guys, and it's your burden to get rid of him before he makes the decision himself. Golden State wouldn't even part with Klay Thompson. Boston's best offers were rumored to be picks and Olynyk or Jared Sullinger. Why would the Cavs overpay and deal Wiggins? I don't think Cleveland would do it unless LeBron said he just had to have Love or something

I could be wrong, but I bet LeBron knows his decision already. Relocating back to Cleveland is not a huge deal given they still live in Akron during the offseason. His kids were supposedly enrolled at an Ohio school for this fall back in May. I'm not saying going back doesn't warrant a long discussion with family, but it's certainly not like he'd be going to LA or some place where he has no roots. His agent, camp, everything are based in Ohio. One could argue it'd be more convenient to leave than stay in Miami.

All this being said, I still think he's staying in Miami and Cleveland is setting themselves up for another heartbreak.

I don't really see how trading a player who could have gone 3rd in the draft for a top ten player is an overpayment? There isn't another player in the league that's 25 and puts up the stats Love does. I shit on Love and so do a lot of fans, but if every team was exploded tomorrow and a draft occurred Love due to his age and skill set isn't going outside the top 10. Wiggins would be lucky to be in the first round.

Reporters seem split on who shat on the GSW/Wolves trade but my best guess is that The Wolves wouldn't take it. It makes zero sense to trade a guy wanting out and chasing a max contract for a player with a lower profile who in a year will be in the exact same position.

I've said all along that once the draft was over it made no sense to move Love until the dust settles. Why would we entertain the Celtics offer when teams like the Bulls are going to want Love if Melo passes them over? If anything this early FA is making Love more valuable. Have you seen the contracts being offered to players that will be a second or third option? The other benefit of waiting until the dust settles is that teams that do get Lebron or Melo will likely be looking for a win now piece. Hence why so many people think Wiggins for Love might be on.

Edited by Quom
  • Like 1

I''m not arguing Love isn't worth Wiggins all things being equal. Of course he is. I'm just saying I highly doubt they're gonna get top dollar for him given the situation(No guarantee Love stays and he's costly), and I honestly think Wiggins is too high a price if you're the Cavs. Yeah Wiggins might've gone #3, but this was a really deep draft. He goes #1 last year no doubt. He''s a pretty highly touted prospect with superstar potential. Look at the Dwight Howard trade. He was the best center in the league and Orlando got what? A some picks, some decent pieces but, not a guy with Wiggins ceiling.

Of course if Lebron wanted it they'd do it, but otherwise no.

I love this. It actually makes the NBA (east at least) feel open again...

However, look at the Cavs fucking roster now. LeBron, Waiters, Kyrie, Wiggins, Bennett, Varejao, Thompson. I'd assume that they already had the record, but look at how many former #1 picks (all drafted by Cleveland none the less) they fucking have. Crazy.