NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread

Quom

5 minutes ago, Superintendent Chris2K said:

Apparently the 76ers have promised Ben Simmons the #1 pick.

It's a shame to see a promising career be destroyed so early on.

But he said to #trusttheprocess!

No sooner than I type the Teague stuff, he's off to Indy, who then sends Hill to Utah, who then sends Atlanta the #12 pick.

I see it as a low risk/high reward type deal for the Knicks. You get Rose on a one year deal trying to prove he can still play in this league and looking for another/his last big deal while Phil and the Knicks pretty much need to make the playoffs this year or else Phil is really on the hot seat. But as a Nets fan, this is very similar to our strategy the past couple of years - which is that we had none but still had high expectations.

The Knicks weren't giving Grant the time of day anyway and Calderon has been past his prime, plus getting rid of Lopez allows them to play a quicker game like their new coach wants them to. Nevertheless this is the Knicks so I could see this going horribly wrong. >_>

• Like 1

I'm sorry Derrick Rose fans but he's awful now. He puts up the occasional good game still, but overall he's among one of the worst point guards in the league at this point. He's a black hole of offense who can't shoot the three and can't score inside the arc efficiently. He makes players around him a lot worse (Butler averaged a 28-7-7 without Rose this year. a 28-7-7!) His advanced metrics are an absolute mess and have been since he returned a couple of years ago (13.5 PER? .009 WS/48? 96 ORtg on 27% usage?). His game is based on athleticism and getting to the rim, two things he lost when he injured his leg so many times (and he's unable to adapt, e.g. not developing a three pointer). There's not much of a reward here other than him averaging 18 PPG, fans not knowing any better and thinking that's good, and him stupidly getting signed to an extension. The best case scenario is we don't resign him. That's it.

• Like 1

Wouldn't you think Butler would play better without Rose though? Who else on that team was good enough to take shots away from Butler besides Rose? I'm not saying Rose is anywhere near his MVP status and will be a multi-time all star with the Knicks but he is going to be an upgrade from their PG play from this past season - that is if he stays on the court. But that's why this is a low risk/high reward situation for them. If all else fails he's a one year deal and they have a big cap number next offseason to try and spend on Westbrook and whoever else. I mean are Knicks fans really going to miss a journeyman Center, older than dirt PG, and a PG that they obviously didn't believe in?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superintendent Chris2K said:

Apparently the 76ers have promised Ben Simmons the #1 pick.

It's a shame to see a promising career be destroyed so early on.

There are now a lot of teams I'd be more scared of being a fan of than Philly. 

I've become a lot more interested in Basketball again and I'm actually trying to follow the off season stuff. Anyone more knowledgeable can you tell me what the Bulls have a shot at landing? Are we totally rebuilding now? If that's the case maybe it's time to blow things up and trade Butler too? We are losing everyone anyway. Seems like we could get a lot for him right now.

If we get 50-60 games out of Rose the upgrade at guard will be worth what we lost in Robin Lopez - but that is a pretty big loss still. Lopez was really good and unless we get a really good replacement it puts a lot of pressure on Kristaps.

• Like 1

I think the Knicks are going to go all-in on Dwight. They've probably accepted Durant isn't a possibility, but a team of Rose-Melo-Howard are retroactively the 2010 and 2011 NBA champs! Joakim Noah is a backup option for the Knicks I suppose which would put my dream team together 5 years too late of Rose, Melo, and Noah.

In reality the Rose trade is a lateral move for the Knicks. We've seen it before, when a PG breaks down they are broken down for good. But Rose will play to prove he deserves a deal while the Knicks try to find long-term solutions elsewhere. Except they'll probably blow their load and try for the playoffs the next 2 years peaking as a 5 seed.

And @Little Red Srarvette the Bulls are very much trying to build around Butler. Thibs got a lot out of that team and the reality is that they aren't very good, but Butler is very good. A savvy GM can move pieces, draft players, and have a competitive team in just a couple of years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I've become a lot more interested in Basketball again and I'm actually trying to follow the off season stuff. Anyone more knowledgeable can you tell me what the Bulls have a shot at landing? Are we totally rebuilding now? If that's the case maybe it's time to blow things up and trade Butler too? We are losing everyone anyway. Seems like we could get a lot for him right now.

You're not totally rebuilding, but don't expect to see Noah return and Gasol is likely opting out.  So while Butler will probably be the #1 offensive target, there is going to be a huge need for some depth (Forman's calling it a "retooling"...whatever).  Your starting five right now would be Lopez/Gibson/Dunleavy/Butler/Calderon with Moore and Brooks as rotation guys.

Wouldn't be surprise to see you land Kent Bazemore if Atlanta opts for Al Horford (who the Bulls are also rumored to be chasing).  Horford or long shots like Dwight Howard would only show up on max deals, though, so that would leave very little room this year to nab role players.  Calderon and Brooks aren't gonna get it done, even with Butler likely running the offense.  You'll need at least one more guard and one more center for depth and I doubt they'll get both in the draft (14th & 48th picks as of right now).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

A others have said you're re-jigging. Hoiberg wants an uptempo movement offence, Rose is a ball dominant PG and I'd imagine he's going to want a pass first or a pass first then get it back for the three. I you're going uptempo then Butler makes sense but Noah, Gasol, and Rose didn't. Robin Lopez can rim run and actually has some moves down low and is a solid defender. Jerian Grant I think is going to be good and should be much better in a P&R/pass-catch-shoot type offence rather than trying to wrap his head around the triangle. Calderon is trash but is pass first as well and hits basically every FT he takes. 

I mean without nabbing a couple of free agents you're going to be worse than you were this year on paper, but it isn't like all is lost. You're in the East with what was meant to be a top tier offensive coach. If he can get them playing the style he wants (which is much more likely with younger guys rather than established big name vets) then I could see you still being a playoff team.  

I'm just glad we didn't trade you the 5th and Wiggins for Butler. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, damshow said:

I suppose which would put my dream team together 5 years too late of Rose, Melo, and Noah.

I've still got the ability to successfully hit more free throws than not but I think my skills in general play deserted me a lot longer than 5 years ago.

• Like 2

Whilst Rose is nowhere near the MVP he was before, and whilst last season was a complete wash if you look beyond the obvious stats. I still believe that Rose can get back to a good level as a point guard, if he retools his game and works his ass off to add a three pointer to his game.

Whilst 15/16 was the healthiest season since 2010, he still had many issues with the orbital bone fracture and apparently was having vision problems for much of the season because of it. Yet he was able to put up decent numbers behind Butler and Pau. If he can get healthy that is. It's gonna be hard for the guy, but the fact his hometown Bulls cut their losses and traded him should wake him up and make it clear that his chances of being a starter are running out.

Thaddeus Young's been traded from Brooklyn to the Pacers for the #20 pick. So despite some awful decision making the last 3 years, the Nets will actually get a first-round draft pick.

Good off-season for Indiana so far, Teague and Young are good pick ups.

Edited by Tyrone
  • Like 1