NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread

Quom

They signed Ish Smith to handle the point, which came at a bargain compared to other signings. I don't know much about him, but know that he's quick, described as a "jitterbug" and is similar to Reggie Jacksons skill set (our starter). 

Anyway, our starting five were one of the tops in the league in scoring, problem was the bench was awful. We had crap for back ups at PG, a still developing rookie in Stanley Johnson, and Aaron Baynes who was very solid to be fair. Our bench sucked. 

Actually, as I type this I see we signed John Leur to be another bench piece. Looks like Horford is out of the running for us. So we bring back the same starting five, which got much better with the addition of Tobias Harris after the deadline. We sign two guys that are upgrades over what we had at back up PG and PF, not too mention we had a potential late lottery pick in Henry Ellenson fall to us at 18. I don't know if we make a huge push this year, but I think the future is bright. We have a young team and all of our best pieces are locked in long term, this team is going to grow together. Drummond, Harris, Morris, and Jackson are all signed for the next 3-5 years, KCP should get a contract next season. If Johnson and Ellenson pan out we'll be really fucking good in a year or so. 

I actually always really liked Leur when I got to see him play with the Grizz. And seriously, can someone explain to me in what world Mike Conley is the highest paid player in NBA history? I just can't wrap my head around that contract for a guy who isn't even a top ten active point guard in my opinion. 

And yeah, if we get Horford, the Boston/Atlanta series is going to make for some amazing basketball this season. 

15 minutes ago, En Dub said:

And seriously, can someone explain to me in what world Mike Conley is the highest paid player in NBA history? I just can't wrap my head around that contract for a guy who isn't even a top ten active point guard in my opinion. 

Deadspin had a good article about how the new TV revenue combined with a wonky CBA screws over first round picks and allows this year's crop of free agents to get stupid money.

I don't get why people bitch at players for being paid? To answer your question; he shouldn't or wouldn't be the highest paid player. It's a combination of being under collective bargaining and guys already being under contract. It's such a non-issue. If there was no CBA then some combination of Curry/LeBron/Durant etc would be the highest paid guys. Likewise if those guys had their contracts end this year they'd be getting the same or more than Conley (I believe your max raises with each year you've been in the league or something). So Conley deserves absolutely fuck all scorn. OH NO A BILLIONAIRE OWNER MIGHT NEED TO SPEND MORE MONEY ON HIS VANITY BUSINESS, HOWEVER WILL HE SURVIVE!1!!!

As to the Hawks, I dunno, I can see them feeling as if they were undersized, Horford and Millsap don't really play like big men, I can see why you'd think a rim running big that has previously been a top defender might help and free up Millsap to play more like a guard on offence. Having said that I don't really like Howard, I think Howard has turned into a 'do the least possible' type of player. But after being thrown under the bus by LA and now Houston I guess the potential exists that he'll come out swinging.

Orlando is making some strange moves. Just how many bigs does a team need exactly? Timberwolves will happily take Gordon off their hands to free up some space. I'm not sure I'd be opposed to Dunn for Gordon straight up.

I think Golden State has to be the frontrunner. I've not heard about a four hour meeting he's had with any other team, and he apparently came out of that meeting "blown away" with what they had to say. 

I do like that our attempt to land Durant came down to:

"Hey, KD, you want to come to New York and talk to us about being a Knick?" 

"Nah."

"Oh. Ok." :(

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Yeah, but at the end of the day, they're the Clippers. :shifty: 

What are the Dallas fans thoughts on Harrison Barnes getting a max contract offer? I guess they've gotta pay somebody money to reach the cap floor...

I'm thoroughly meh about Barnes getting a max. And yes, I know the market is different, but unless he ups his game by quite a bit he's basically a step down from Parsons.

I just really hope Durant doesn't choose Golden State. That team has an absurd amount of firepower as it is, and with KD joining it'll just be... unfair?

In other news, I like Rondo to the Bulls. Basically everything Sacramento did went unnoticed, but he (and Cousins of course) had really good seasons IMO, and him setting up Butler should be fun.