Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Bale is absolutely stealing a living as a professional footballer these days. 

Was only his second start in the league, to be fair. I thought he started brightly, at least he wanted the ball, which is a low bar. I just think he looks fairly rusty still, but my bias is shining through. 

8 hours ago, MadJack said:

Spurs fans - are we on the Jose Out train yet?

I'll always try and back whoever we have in charge because it's genuinely better than being angry all the time, but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he was sacked. Our style of football is dreadful, he's completely alienated Dele and I'm alarmed that a manager of his experience hasn't tried to adapt the way we play. There just honestly is no system at the moment. 

It's just shit to watch every week, especially when it's abject. People have figured us out with only half of the season gone and we were completely outplayed last night by Brighton. 

I just never felt this apathetic under Poch; we had an identity. Even towards the end of his reign were things were getting patchy, it was still his first bad run, and he'd just got us to a CL final, so I still had (have) all the good will in the world towards him. 

But I dunno, I just kinda dread watching us right now and I guess I don't believe in the project. Because...there is no real project. 

Hopefully this is all reactionary, we win on Thursday and we can go on a run. I'll continue to back him while he's our manger, but I've never been a massive fan of the appointment.

• Like 1

I was never Jose Out when he was at United because A) I liked him too much, and B) I never jump to "sack the manager" in the first few seasons of their run.

But there's no doubt that he did things his way, whether the board liked it or not. Surely Levy would have known that when he brought him in.

The football we play now, and the squad we have, is far better on the eye (at times :shifty:) than anything we had under Jose. Fans want a balance of actually enjoying watching their team and also fighting to win trophies. Jose brought us a League Cup and a European trophy, Ole has got us a bunch of semi-finals up to now. I like what Ole is building, but he'll only get another year or so without silverware before being sacked I think.

It'll probably be the same for Jose at Spurs. Having him in charge, it's like trading away the great football your team is capable of in exchange for trophies, so he has to deliver that part.

I'll finish by saying that we didn't always play boring football under Jose, but it did feel like he had given our attacking players so many instructions that they were frightened to express themselves.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I was never Jose Out when he was at United because A) I liked him too much, and B) I never jump to "sack the manager" in the first few seasons of their run.

But there's no doubt that he did things his way, whether the board liked it or not. Surely Levy would have known that when he brought him in.

The football we play now, and the squad we have, is far better on the eye (at times :shifty:) than anything we had under Jose. Fans want a balance of actually enjoying watching their team and also fighting to win trophies. Jose brought us a League Cup and a European trophy, Ole has got us a bunch of semi-finals up to now. I like what Ole is building, but he'll only get another year or so without silverware before being sacked I think.

It'll probably be the same for Jose at Spurs. Having him in charge, it's like trading away the great football your team is capable of in exchange for trophies, so he has to deliver that part.

I'll finish by saying that we didn't always play boring football under Jose, but it did feel like he had given our attacking players so many instructions that they were frightened to express themselves.

With us, it doesn't seem to matter what he's told the front 3 (which is clearly, Kane over the top to Son), because we play a system that struggles to build attacks and progress the ball from back to front. It's shit, especially considering we have Ndombele, who is one of the best at breaking pressure, beating the press and breaking lines. 

It's obvious that Jose's whole style is only palatable when winning. I understand that is a somewhat redundant thing to say.

He's honestly lucky to be managing without fans in the stadium right now, in my opinion. 

Edited by Jimmy

The problem with Mourinho (particularly in recent years, less so in his first Chelsea stint) is that he isn't going to produce a side that is successful long term. There's no 3-5 year plan, it's a plan to grind out results here and now to win a trophy this season. And that's great when it's working but when it's not you're left to watch horrible football with little hope that it will get better because the only way it gets better is by spending big or by getting rid of Jose and starting from scratch.

That’s all 3 centre backs out for the season give or take VVD’s freak abilities.

Thats just poor luck (aside from only having 3 CBs) not overworking. I think if Liverpool had 2 healthy real centre backs, there wouldn’t have been this mid season lul as for the 90 odd shots with no goal it was a complete lack of vision to get the front 3 in the right position or moving the ball fluidly, and god I did not think I’d say this 5 years ago when all he did was play back to goal, but Henderson has some of the best vision in the Premier League, partnering that with the raw talent of Thiago and the mad work rate of nearly any other midfielder Liverpool have, probably business as usual.

Ahh well, at least City win the league and not United.

Did Liverpool really go into the season with 3 CBs? That's crackers. Newcastle started with 5 not even including Dummett or Krafth, admittedly loaned one out, and still ended up playing Hayden there after injuries. My sympathy for Liverpool has fallen below it's previous level of zero.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

We're doing alright considering we've played 3982621901 different centre back pairings this season. 

It doesn't change that your style of play allows less pressure on the centre backs than most other teams. You've played a super effective way of football wherein attack is the best form of defence. It's still surprising those centre back pairings have done as well as they have, but definitely a credit to the way Klopp sets up the team and plays football. 

Honestly, I'm such a disgruntled ex right now...feel like shit, just want Poch back. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Did Liverpool really go into the season with 3 CBs? That's crackers.

Not exactly. The first team squad also includes Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips. That's 5 in total. Although they're not the most experienced. This is excluding Fabinho.

Matip getting injured you can count on happening a few times. VVD and Gomes being out long term at the same time is worst case scenario.

Theres the argument that getting rid of Lovren was  a mistake. But he's another injury prone player. And he's just a bit erratic and constantly panicked. Whereas the CBs we do have are much more calm heads.